IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Silversun Pickups, 90's rock resurgence?
Man Who Sold The...
post Aug 10 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #1

JELLO BOOTY!!!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,405

Admit it, as soon as this post punk thing started to get stale, you knew a ‘90s
alternative rock revival was only a matter of time. And the band leading the way,
Silversun Pickups have caught my ear. They sort of compliment Smashing Pumpkins,
and Sonic Youth. I was giving up searching for good music for awhile, and when I stumbled
upon "Well Thought Out Twinkles" (a gay as hell title, but an awesome song), I was into the
groove riff that sounds like something Wolfmother would do, but instead quickly veers off into a highly melodic
verse dominated by Aubert’s distinct rasp (Think Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream).

After listening to Pikul, their first full length CD, it's got the kind of bleary-eyed ballads that would
have been a perfect fit on the great Singles soundtrack, standing alongside the Pumpkins’ “Drown”.
They show enough vitality in their sound to win me over, reminding me of a time when hooks mattered,
and American indie rock ruled, and restoring hope that it just might happen again. Their fucking awesome.

If you haven't heard of them, I recommend you check out "Lazy Eye", "Well Thought Out Twinkles", and
"Rusted Wheel".

Discuss the new resurgence of 90's rock (see Kings Of Leon, Sea Wolf) and Silversun Pickups.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Soriano's Torn Quad_*
post Aug 10 2007, 03:18 AM
Post #2

Guests

no

+Quote Post
vivalaultra
post Aug 10 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #3

Fare Thee Well, Miss Carousel

Member No.: 5,586

Kings of Leon is more faux 70s Southern rock. And Seawolf is Will Oldham, who isn't part of any type of movement, I don't think. I've never heard of Silversun Pickups, but I do like Siamese Dream-era Smashing Pumpkins, but if I wanna listen to something that sounds like Siamese Dream-era Smashing Pumpkins, I'll just listen to Siamese Dream-era Smashing Pumpkins.

+Quote Post
Mik
post Aug 10 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #4

The boss

Member No.: 871

I downloaded this a few months ago after Bill Simmons wouldn't stop raving about it in his chat (yes, that makes me very lame). I like Lazy Eye...the rest not so much.

+Quote Post
dubq
post Aug 13 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,949

Yes! This band is awesome, IMO! My girlfriend picked up their CD "Carnavas" a while back and I've been hooked ever since I blindly ripped it onto my ipod.

+Quote Post
mfn
post Aug 14 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 8,213

Not a huge fan.

Kings of Leon are a much better band IMO, better live too.

SSP reminds me way too much of The Pumpkins for me to take them seriously.

+Quote Post
Gary Floyd
post Aug 14 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #7

...Goodnight.

Member No.: 4,859

Heard them, didn't like it. Then again, my musical diet has largely been Library music/funk-driven 60's-70's movie scores, old school hip hop, and progressive rock as of late.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2018 - 05:41 AM