TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest tank_abbott

The Old School questions thread

Guest tank_abbott

I stole this idea from the Puro board, I think it will be a good place for all those questions that don't merit a thread...

I'll start: In late-1986, the Honky Tonk Man ran a popularity poll on himself. What was the name of this poll?

(See I don't know, this isn't trivia on my part, I'm looking for the answer) Thanks for the help in advance :)

Guest Corey291

It was called The Vote of Confidence poll.

Honkytonk Man actually debuted in the WWF as a babyface and wrestled as a good guy for several months on WWF TV and house shows before turning heel.

-Corey

Guest tank_abbott

Okay I have another ??? Was the Big Bearded Bald man at Haku's corination Jos DeLuc or am I mistaken?

Guest Corey291
Okay I have another ??? Was the Big Bearded Bald man at Haku's corination Jos DeLuc or am I mistaken?

I'll have to dig up that TV episode, but it probably wasn't LeDuc. It would have more likely been "The Butcher" Paul Vachon.

-Corey

Guest JHawk

It had to be LeDuc. Vachon was long gone by 1986, and Haku's coronation was summer 1988.

Guest tank_abbott

I didn't think Leduc did his headbanger gimmick in 88, I was surprised to see him on there (assuming its him)

Guest MillenniumMan831

Did Mr. Wonderful really fire Bobby Heenan twice? I ask because I thought he only managed him in 1986-87. Did he fire Heenan, take him back, and fire him again in the same segment. Or did Heenan manage Orndorff somewhat from 1984-85?

Guest Galactic Gigolo

I did trivia a couple years back, and vaguely remember researching and finding out that Paul fired and rehired Heenan in the same segment.

Guest tank_abbott

Here's a OBSCURE one... I can vaguely remember WCW having a 10 man tag as a TV main event around 90/91 ish... Sting was fueding with Nikita Koloff at the time, and The annoncer was annoncing a heel, then a face, back and forth...Nikita came out, walked toward the ring, and Sting's music played, so Nikita turned around and attacked him with the chain... Sting was hurt so PN News took his place...The end saw Nikita beating on Robert Gibson (???) and sting running in and attacking Nikita for the DQ

From what I recall the team was:

El Gigante, PN News, Robert Gibson with ? and ? vs Ric Flair, Nikita Koloff and ? and ? and ?

Any one remember this? Fill in my memory blanks!

I can't help you out with the participants but it looks like the timeframe would be between SuperBrawl in May 91 and Flair's departure in July.

"El Gigante, PN News, Robert Gibson with ? and ? vs Ric Flair, Nikita Koloff and ? and ? and ?"

Would it be possible the teams were El Gigante, PN News, Robert Gibson, Bobby Eaton and Brian Pillman vs Ric Flair, Nikita Koloff, Arn Anderson, Barry Windham and Ricky Morton.

Just a guess based on who was feuding at the time.

I got a Q of my own for anybody(cawthon would seem like someone who could answer this):

On the SNME in Feb.89 where Savage turned on Hogan was there a Hart Foundation/Rockers match on the card that didn't make it onto the final show?

Here's what I have for that show thus far. There might be one or two dark matches missing but with the timeframe, it doesn't seem likely that they had a match that night.

The Main Event II - Milwaukee, WI - Bradley Center - February 3, 1989

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated the Hart Foundation when the special referee, Brother Love, counted the pinfall on Bret Hart via a Raymond Rougeau roll up into a bridge even though Hart had his shoulder up (Best of the WWF Vol. 20)

WWF Tag Team Champions Demolition defeated the Powers of Pain via disqualification when Mr. Fuji threw powder in Axe's eyes (Best of the WWF Vol. 19)

Televised bouts - shown live on NBC:

Hulk Hogan & WWF World Champion Randy Savage defeated the Big Bossman & Akeem at 22:00 when Hogan pinned Akeem; after the match, Savage attacked Hogan backstage

Ted Dibiase pinned Hercules

I know they had a match a day or two after Summer Slam that year at a TV taping. That bout ended up on Super Tape '90. Then there was a SNME match in April of 90 ... a match at the Tokyo Dome right after WrestleMania VII ... not sure if any others were televised.

Guest MillenniumMan831

BTW, add Ultimate Warrior pinned Greg Valentine to retain the I-C Title to that card (Ultimate Warrior CV 1989).

Guest bravesfan

CAW, are you currently accepting any match results for any Coliseum Videos you don't have listed?

I have a few tapes that I can help you out with, just give me the okay so that I can send them to you.

CAW, are you currently accepting any match results for any Coliseum Videos you don't have listed?

I have a few tapes that I can help you out with, just give me the okay so that I can send them to you.

I sure am - especially if you can get ahold of the location / date of the matches.

In the results listings, I've recently started noting matches that ended up on videos I don't have (although I'm not sure if the tapes in question were UK exclusive ... Year in Reviews, Best of Raw, etc).

Guest tank_abbott

Jimmy Hart interview with the crowd, debut of the New York Dolls

---

Who are the NY Dolls (Memphis Circa 81-83ish)

Guest WrestlingDeacon

They were the Dream Machine and "Quick Draw" Rick McGraw.

Guest Andy

Here's a few I've wondered for a while:

Who were the members of the following tag teams:

The Fabulous Kangaroos (WWWF 1963-mid 70's)

The Kentuckians (WWWF 1964)

The Rugged Russians (I believe one was called Igor and one was called Ivan - not sure whether or not this was Ivan Koloff, WWWF 1971)

The Sicilians (WWWF 1969)

The Squat Team (WWF Royal Rumble 1996)

The Super Destroyers (ECW's first tag team champions)

Techno Team 2000 (WWF 1995-1996 - I think one was Erik Watts; who was the other?)

and finally...

There was a tag team battle royale on Smackdown (October 19, 2000) - which was won by The Conquistadors. The Hardy Boyz and Edge & Christian were in the Battle Royale as themselves anyway, so who were The Conquistadors? (I think I head that one was Christopher Daniels, but I'm not sure.)

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers.

Guest kane3212321

Conquistadors = Jose Estrada und Jose Luis Rivera

Kangaroos Website

Al Costello and Don Kent were the originals.

The Super Destroyers (Super Destroyer #1 & #2 (AKA Bill and Scott Irwin))

"Techno Team 2000", Travis and Troy, one was Watts and the other was Chad Fortune.

One half of The Rugged Russians was Pedro Godoy

Lou Albano and Tony Altimore were the Sicilians.

Grizzly Smith continued to have his problems with the Islanders. He went out and recruited the best partner he could think of. He brought in Luke Brown. They were called the The Kentuckians.

This may help a bit more on back info

Guest tank_abbott
They were the Dream Machine and "Quick Draw" Rick McGraw.

Man, I actually have a match or 2 with those 2 teaming, but the graphics don't list them as the NY Dolls, thus my confusion

---

Well WD, you never cease to amaze, so here's a couple I've been wondering about lately...

1> Other than Friar Furgeson and Rev. D-Von, have there been any relegious gimmicks (Not counting Dustin Runnels relegious kick circa 98)

2> How many comeback matches did Verne gagne have after may 21(?) 1981? I have 2 on tape, one vs Adnan from WrestleRock 86, and the other with Mad Dog Vachon against Adnan and Blackwell(?) I'm sure I'm missing more than a few!

Guest nWoScorpion

E&C pulled out of the battle royal

so I think E&C were the conquistadors in the match.

QUESTION:

What ever happend to Ken Patera after he left WWF in 1988 (or 89)?

Edited by nWoScorpion

Guest WrestlingDeacon
1> Other than Friar Furgeson and Rev. D-Von, have there been any relegious gimmicks (Not counting Dustin Runnels relegious kick circa 98)

There was Brother Love who was a take off of t.v. evangilists. Reverend Slick, who found religion and denounced his pimp ways to become a member of the clergy (he is a real reverend). Tully Blanchard became a reverend upon his retirement, but has wrestled a couple charity matches since then with a nod to his current occupation. Ted Dibiase briefly ran a christian based fed which included several religious based characters and storylines.

There was Messiah in the XPW, who had a Jesus look going on, and the Alter Boys tag team, but I'm not too sure on what their deals were.

Guest WrestlingDeacon
E&C pulled out of the battle royal

so I think E&C were the conquistadors in the match.

QUESTION:

Patera is currently living in Minneapolis and working as a motivational speaker while still keeping his hand in weight lifting as a trainer.

Guest nl5xsk1
QUESTION:

Didn't he go to the AWA and team with Brad Reingans as "the Olympians"? (I might have the team name and partner wrong, though ... my AWA memories are pretty much crap from that era)

I do remember there being a strongman-type challenge against the Destruction Crew (Wayne Bloom and Mike Enos, soon to be known as the Beverly Bros) in which the D.Crew drop a car on Patera and "injure" him.