TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

WCW SuperBrawl VI

Non-spoiler match listing, like I always do.

The Nasty Boys vs. The Public Enemy in a Falls Count Anywhere match

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Johnny B. Badd for the WCW World Television Championship

Harlem Heat vs. Lex Luger and Sting for the WCW World Tag Team Championships

One Man Gang vs. Konnan for the WCW United States Championship

Brian Pillman vs. Kevin Sullivan in a "Respect" Match

Arn Anderson vs. Kevin Sullivan

Ric Flair vs. Randy Savage in a Steel Cage match for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship

Hulk Hogan vs. The Giant in a Steel Cage match

Looks like a good card. Don't think I've seen it.

The most notorious part of this show: I respect you, Mr. Bookerman!

Looks like a really fun show though I have to admit the main event might be a bit of a chore. Was this Johnny B. Badd's last WCW match before he went to the WWF?

The Booty Man. That brings back plenty of bad memories of watching WCW Prime after school on Mondays. Easily underrated in terms of bad Ed Leslie gimmicks.

I don't think I've ever seen this one before. Never saw the tape at all of the video stores I used to haunt back in the day. Sounds like a good show on paper but WCW was more than a bit outlandishly cartoony at this point.

I remember my local Family Video carrying this on VHS. I checked it out and it sorta met expectations at the time. I don't know how it has aged.

Also, a week or two after this, Mero and Luger traded the Television Title (you know, the championship created for television defenses) a couple of times on the house show circuit before they taped Luger's win on Saturday Night.

I really thought this was a fun card, as WCW had strong wrestlers at most spots in the card.

Of course in simple WCW logic, Konnan beat OMG for the U.S. Title one week before the PPV.

I HATED when WCW did that shit.

That's odd. I knew I remembered Konnan winning the US title on TV, yet when I saw that match listed I assumed it was the title change. Bischoff never saw a hotshot booking idea he didn't like.

Flair/Savage was the usual goodness out of the two. Kind of a weird match. Methodical, with the two moving around all over the pace. Plus way too much of Flair's ass. But they had a good chemistry and were convincing in their hatred of one another.

Watching the Hogan/Giant match, I can see why Hogan decided to turn heel. The crowd response to his introduction was as dead as I've ever heard it for pre-heel Hogan. Nice to see Big Show when he was in phenominal shape.

It's been eight or nine years since I saw this, but I remember being extremely bored by it. Wasn't one of the Sting/Luger matches like half an hour long? And with either of their opposing teams, you did not want to see those guys wrestle for thirty minutes. Flair/Savage was nowhere near some of the other stuff they've done, and Hogan/Giant was brutally bad. The only really worthwhile thing on here is the Pillman incident, and that's more for historical value more than anything else since it only lasts like a minute.

This show started out pretty well with the fun DDP/Badd match and some other stuff, but that Luger/Sting stuff was so boring. For all the talk about Booker and Harlem Heat, they quite frankly were a crap tag team. I can't think of a single good HH match. And after the Road Warriors ran in to screw the Heat, why did they not return the favor later and screw the LOD?

It was pretty funny watching that US title match. One Man Gang treated Konnan like a jobber in that match, picked him up at 2, then allowed a weak looking pin and no sold it afterwards. Is it any wonder OMG vanished soon after?

I've always thought the same thing about Harlem Heat, cabbage. I like Booker and Stevie is one of the most entertaining characters in pro wrestling and given the fact that they were ten time WCW Tag Team Champions, you think they'd have had some good matches but they just didn't. Their matches with The New Jersey Triad during their reunion weren't bad but that's about it. Their unbearably long series with The Nasty Boys produced some particularly awful matches. It seems like they fought each other every other week from '94 to '96.

Thank GOD the NWO angle came up so we wouldn't have to have been subjected to a prolonged Hogan/Loch Ness feud. The Giant was actually pretty agile back then so it was painful to watch him work a Hogan-style match. Flair-Savage was decent, but they almost missed Liz passing the shoe to Flair because the angle was so far back due to the blood.

Thank GOD the NWO angle came up so we wouldn't have to have been subjected to a prolonged Hogan/Loch Ness feud. The Giant was actually pretty agile back then so it was painful to watch him work a Hogan-style match. Flair-Savage was decent, but they almost missed Liz passing the shoe to Flair because the angle was so far back due to the blood.

I think the far shot was also due to the fact Savage had an obsession with pulling Flair's trunks down. All three of those spots were uncensored on the live show, which I still have on tape somewhere.

And Loch Ness was gone way before the nWo angle started. Loch Ness faced the Giant at the next month's PPV and got totally squashed. He was never seen again after that.

People forget this but WCW actually got quite a bit better in that Feb.-May 1996 period before the NWO happened. Hogan was off TV for a while and the Flair/Macho angle just carried the hell out of the company. I know I was more interested in it than Michaels and the "Boyhood Dream" crap on Raw.

Something I was shocked to learn was that these hokey PPVs actually did better buyrates at times than other shows which are perceived as being better due to the NWO. The famed Bash at the Beach 1996 did a lesser buyrate than either 1994 or 95 (which did a 1.02 and .82 compared to the 1996 show's .71). Halloween Havoc 1994 did a .97 while 1996 did a .70. Of course those 1994 shows had the Hogan/Flair dream matches. GAB 95 actually did a .03 better buyrate than the more famous 1996 show (.51 to .48). Uncensored 95 did a .96 while 1996 did a .70. And SuperBrawl in 1995 did a .96 compared to the next two years which did a .63 and a .75.

I think those horrid 1995 PPVs did solid buyrates because they featured a dream feud of sorts with Hogan vs. Vader.

I'm glad you managed to fit in an "I hate Shawn Michaels" post into a thread about a 1996 WCW PPV, cabbageboy. If you can find a way to bring up why Randy Orton is awful in the NWA thread, we're all set.

I'm glad you managed to fit in an "I hate Shawn Michaels" post into a thread about a 1996 WCW PPV, cabbageboy. If you can find a way to bring up why Randy Orton is awful in the NWA thread, we're all set.

ronsimmons3.jpg

Odd that Johnny B. Badd was still being pushed with obviously so little left in his contract (he's at Mania XII a month later). And what's with the frisbees? Does he think he's Leaping Lanny Poffo?

The WCW I've seen from early 96 comes from the PPV's, with some Nitro clips here and there, but it seems to me that before the nWo angle came along, WCW had *no* direction whatsoever. The period from 94 to 95 was focused on Hogan coming in and dealing with Flair, and then with Vader, and then with Giant, and as 95 turned into 96 you had some focus on Savage and Flair. But during that Spring and early Summer period, WCW seemed to treading water like nobody's business. Even WWF was able to transition from the Diesel era to the buildup and arrival of the HBK era during that period.

I mean, when you think about periods of time in wrestling, usually you can identify some kind of driving force for a company. Hell, even during HHH's reign of terror in 03, you still could break it down into indentifiable segments. But with WCW in early 96, man, they were the very definition of just "being there."

I sorta disagree with that. WCW had a direction in early 1996 with Flair feuding with Savage and the whole Liz turn where she was banging Flair and it was driving Macho insane. See, the reason I loved that angle and don't get stuff like AJ/Kurt/Karen in TNA is that Savage always deep down wanted Liz back and hated her being with Flair.

I'd also say the Luger/Sting interaction was interesting even if it ultimately went nowhere.

I sorta disagree with that. WCW had a direction in early 1996 with Flair feuding with Savage and the whole Liz turn where she was banging Flair and it was driving Macho insane. See, the reason I loved that angle and don't get stuff like AJ/Kurt/Karen in TNA is that Savage always deep down wanted Liz back and hated her being with Flair.

I'd also say the Luger/Sting interaction was interesting even if it ultimately went nowhere.

I remember after Elizabeth turned on Savage, Flair would do this angle where he would come to ring side, set up a table, and spend Savage's ailimony/settlement money on dinner with Elizabeth and Woman. This led to Savage being suspended from appearing on television because he became so crazy. The funny part was when Savage came after them this one time and was restrained by security. Elizabeth came up to him and threw the money in his face and then Woman slapped him. WCW enjoyed humuliating Savage.