TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KingPK

TSM's Fantasy Football Help Desk

So, with the NFL season just about to start and since many of our posters play in fantasy leagues, this thread is here for people to ask for advice regarding setting their lineups, who to pick up on waivers, finding the best matchups, etc.

I'll start it off: Should I start Mark Clayton in Week 1 against Indy? My other starting WRs are Hines Ward (vs. Tennessee), Darrell Jackson (at Jacksonville) and Eddie Kennison (vs. the Jets).

1. How would you rate my team overall?

2. Which 3 of my 5 WR's should start?

QB P. Manning

WR C. Johnson

WR S. Smith

WR D. Branch

RB S. Jackson

RB J. Jones

TE D. Graham

K J. Hanson

DEF Pittsburgh

BN WR-B. Stokley

BN QB-J. Harrington

BN RB-F. Taylor

BN RB-J. Bettis

BN WR-C. Rogers

BN QB-C. Pennington

Steve Smith's coming off injury, so I'd see how he comes out of the gate before starting him regularly.

I'd start Johnson, Stokley and Branch, myself. Rogers is also coming off injury (and has been injured each of the last two years).

Your team is solid at WR and good at RB (depending on how Jackson plays), but if Peyton goes down, I don't know if I'd trust your backups.

Guest Rrrsh

I agree with PK, give your injurt guys a week. But in general, Stokley should start over Branch.

1. How would you rate my team overall?

2. Which 3 of my 5 WR's should start?

QB  P. Manning

WR  B. Stokley

WR  S. Smith

WR  C. Rogers

RB  F. Taylor

RB  J. Bettis

TE  D. Graham

K  J. Hanson

DEF  Pittsburgh

BN  QB-J. Harrington

BN  QB-C. Pennington

5/10 cause you got the wrong Manning starting.

I'm a bit concerned about Trent Green's leg. He said he was going to start last I saw, but the experts seem to suggest differently and Green is hardly a doctor. I have Hasselbeck against the Jags as my backup. Should I make the move and play Hasselbeck in Week 1?

If it means anything, my opponent is starting Darrell Jackson.

QB J. Plummer

WR A. Johnson

WR P. Burress

RB L. Tomlinson

RB T. Barber

TE E. Johnson

RB K. Jones

WR R. Wayne

QB M. Hasselbeck

RB J. Arrington

TE M. Pollard

A.) Plummer (v MIA) or Hasselbeck (v JAC)

B.) Which 2 WRs? (Keep in mind, Wayne & the Colts are playing BAL)

Guest Retro Rob

QB

Daunte Culpepper

WR

Lauvernis Coles

Mushin Muhammed

Larry Fitzgerald

RB

Clinton Portis

Steve Jackson

TE

Algae Crumpler

W/T

D. Graham

W/R

Brandon Stokley

K

Ryan Longwell

DEF

New York Jets or Pittsburgh?

D

Tony Polamalu

DB

Ed Reed

Duane Robinson

DL (Probably having 2 slots dropped in league requirements)

Dwight Freeney

KGB

Demarcus Ware

Simeon Rice

That's my starting roster for week one. I'm still on the fence whether to use the Jets or Steelers defense though.

A) In theory this is a tough question given how Plummer put up better numbers last year than Hasselbeck, but in all honesty I don't like Plummer. He was so bad for so long, that I just don't have a lot of faith in starting him. I would start Hasselbeck there without thinking twice.

B) You have to start Wayne & Johnson. Don't let Baltimore worry you. Very rarely should you let a team defense dictate your schedule (something like the 2002 Bucs where they just tore apart opposing QBs) and certainly not in a case where the offense is as good as Indy's and your starter is such a big upgrade over the backup.

So, with Brandon Stokley injured and most likely not playing in Week 1, these are my options:

Tyrone Calico (Tenn) v. Pittsburgh

Samie Parker (KC) v. NY Jets

Some WRs available on the wire:

Justin McCareins (NY Jets)

Keyshawn Johsnon and Terry Glenn (Dallas)

Travis Taylor and Marcus Robinson (Minn)

Greg Lewis (Phil)

Any suggestions?

Also, should I drop Heath Miller (Pitt) and pick up Eric Johnson (SF)? I picked up Johnson off waivers last year and he did pretty okay for me, but I'm not high on SF's offense. But I have a feeling he'll do way better than Miller.

Thanks, gents.

notJames, i would personnally go with Calico. I think that he's pretty solid. I'd think about picking up Terry Glenn too. He still has a good game or two in him.

Also, I agree about SF's offense, but would still pick up Johnson over Miller.

Okay, so I picked up Eric Johnson, only to find out he's questionable for Week 1. Should I pick up Miller again (and suffer the slings and arrows of my fellow league owners), or pick up one of the following:

Jeb Putzier (DEN)

Brandon Manumaleuna (STL)

Chris Cooley (WAS)

Jerramy Stevens (SEA)

Matt Schobel (CIN)

And I just read that Stokley may end up starting anyway for Week 1. But I'll keep tabs on this situation and, if need be, start Calico.

And in another league I have, who should I start at QB in week 1...

Carson Palmer vs Cleveland

Aaron Brooks vs Carolina

Kerry Collins vs New England

Also, what pecking order would you have these 3 QB's?

Aaron Brooks vs Carolina

Hmm, based on those matchups, I'd go with Palmer (though that might be a tough matchup as well). Collins has a TON of weapons at his disposal, but I'm still not totally sold on him. I'd rank them Palmer, Collins and Brooks (who is wildly inconsistent).

A) In theory this is a tough question given how Plummer put up better numbers last year than Hasselbeck, but in all honesty I don't like Plummer. He was so bad for so long, that I just don't have a lot of faith in starting him. I would start Hasselbeck there without thinking twice.

B) You have to start Wayne & Johnson. Don't let Baltimore worry you. Very rarely should you let a team defense dictate your schedule (something like the 2002 Bucs where they just tore apart opposing QBs) and certainly not in a case where the offense is as good as Indy's and your starter is such a big upgrade over the backup.

Thanks man.

Guest Retro Rob

I have a couple of issues to work out yet. I have already to decided to bench Stokley for week one and start Marcus Robinson (MIN).

A) I have Algae Crumpler as my starting TE, but for the W/T position I could use either Bubba Franks, or Daniel Graham, who I currently have slotted to be starting. Graham put up better numbers last season, but is more likely to share the position than Franks.

B) Right now I think I'm going with Pittsburgh defense (vs. TEN) over the Jets (vs. KC), but I'm on the fence since both teams are pretty even, especially with Ty Law probably not playing much of the game.

Guest Retro Rob

Aaron Brooks vs Carolina

I like Collins the most of the three and he should have one of his better seasons with Moss going deep. However, it's hard to bet against any QB playing the Browns.

On one of my fantasy teams, I'm benching Brooks this week and playing Griese. I think the best bet is just to give him a few weeks and see if he shows any consistency what so ever.

Also, should I drop Heath Miller (Pitt) and pick up Eric Johnson (SF)? I picked up Johnson off waivers last year and he did pretty okay for me, but I'm not high on SF's offense. But I have a feeling he'll do way better than Miller.

There is also one thing to consider...

Eric Johnson has plantar fascia in his foot and might not play in week 1.

Guest I miss Test.
Okay, so I picked up Eric Johnson, only to find out he's questionable for Week 1. Should I pick up Miller again (and suffer the slings and arrows of my fellow league owners), or pick up one of the following:

Jeb Putzier (DEN)

Chris Cooley (WAS)

Jerramy Stevens (SEA)

Matt Schobel (CIN)

And I just read that Stokley may end up starting anyway for Week 1. But I'll keep tabs on this situation and, if need be, start Calico.

Cooley, for sure. He'll get tons of chances in the end zone, which is all you can ask for from a TE. Stevens after that. The rest suck... unless Putzier is named starter over Alexander.

Guest I miss Test.

There is also one thing to consider...

Eric Johnson has plantar fascia in his foot and might not play in week 1.

Yes, and this is the type of injury that hampers a player all year.

If you're in a PPR, Johnson is possibly a top 5 TE, and maybe worth keeping. If no PPR, dump him.

Guest I miss Test.
I have a couple of issues to work out yet.  I have already to decided to bench Stokley for week one and start Marcus Robinson (MIN).

A) I have Algae Crumpler as my starting TE, but for the W/T position I could use either Bubba Franks, or Daniel Graham, who I currently have slotted to be starting.  Graham put up better numbers last season, but is more likely to share the position than Franks.

B) Right now I think I'm going with Pittsburgh defense (vs. TEN) over the Jets (vs. KC), but I'm on the fence since both teams are pretty even, especially with Ty Law probably not playing much of the game.

A) If you can play a WR, take one. I'm sure any off waivers would get you more points than Franks/Graham.

B) Pittsburgh is the easy play. Look at Tennessee's offense. Look at Kansas City's offense. End.

Jeb Putzier (DEN)

Chris Cooley (WAS)

Jerramy Stevens (SEA)

Matt Schobel (CIN)

I had Putizer and actually dropped him in favor of Cooley. Putzier's not going to start in Denver this year, and there's not going to be enough balls for two TE's. Cooley's a sleeper who will work the middle of the field while Smurfs 2k5 try to stretch the field. Stevens is a blocking TE in Seattle, and Schobel isn't involved in the Cincy offense.

As for myself, my QB's are Trent Green and Eli Manning. Unfortunately, they both have the same off week (week 5). Should I wait until closer to the off week to pick up someone, or should I try to involve Eli in a trade for a different QB, or should I just cut my losses and drop Eli in favor of someone like Kyle Orton or the Miami QB, whoever it may be?