TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

The OAO WWE DVD Thread

We are close enough to 2008 that I feel we can officially drop the "WWE Announces 2007 DVDs" thread as the DVD discussion thread and move forward into 2008.

Upcoming DVDs, courtesy of WWE.com:

Survivor Series 2007 (December 26, 2007).

Best of Raw: 15th Anniversary (December 26, 2007)

Royal Rumble Vol. 3 & 4 (January 8, 2008)

Armageddon 2007 (January 15, 2008)

Stone Cold Steve Austin's Life & Legacy (February 12, 2008)

The "Best of Raw" DVD chapters are listed in the old thread courtesy of Silvervision

The WWE.com description for Austin's DVD:

A career-spanning retrospective of the Rattlesnake that highlights Austin’s amazing career and his legendary rivalries with Bret Hart, The Rock, Mick Foley, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Undertaker, Kane, Scott Hall, Eddie Guerrero and more. Stone Cold Steve Austin’s Life and Legacy will also include footage and matches from WCW, ECW, and his Smokey Mountain days.

Legendary rivalries with Scott Hall, huh? Wonder if that refers to behind the scenes...

And the latest on other 2008 DVDs from Mike Johnson at PWI:

WWE will be releasing DVDs for Batista, Bobby Lashley, The Hell in the Cell, Steve Austin, The Rock, and Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig next year, as well as the long-awaited Summerslam Anthology box set, which will collect every edition of the company's annual August PPV from 1988 to present. For those wondering how Chris Benoit's bout will be utilized, it appears the strategy going forward is to include his bouts on complete shows, but not to market him nor use him, for now at least, in compilation collections.

In regards to the Benoit situation, it seems like a sensible idea. I for one am not for revising WWE's history to make it look like he never existed in the context of the shows. But I can understand that it still might make people uncomfortable to have him on the best of type releases. Maybe in a year or so, when things have cooled down as much as they possibly can then start using him in that capacity again. It's a real shame though that the Benoit/Austin rivalry won't be making it to DVD.

The WWE.com description for Austin's DVD:

A career-spanning retrospective of the Rattlesnake that highlights Austin’s amazing career and his legendary rivalries with Bret Hart, The Rock, Mick Foley, Triple H, Kurt Angle, Undertaker, Kane, Scott Hall, Eddie Guerrero and more. Stone Cold Steve Austin’s Life and Legacy will also include footage and matches from WCW, ECW, and his Smokey Mountain days.

Austin never wrestled in SMW and I don't think WWE has rights to any USWA footage, so the Smoky Mountain days thing is curious to me.

WWE will be releasing DVDs for Batista, Bobby Lashley, The Hell in the Cell, Steve Austin, The Rock, and Mr. Perfect Curt Hennig next year, as well as the long-awaited Summerslam Anthology box set, which will collect every edition of the company's annual August PPV from 1988 to present. For those wondering how Chris Benoit's bout will be utilized, it appears the strategy going forward is to include his bouts on complete shows, but not to market him nor use him, for now at least, in compilation collections

I'm not sure how long-awaited it's been, but I'm sure it's not as long-awaited as my Mr. Perfect DVD!

they must think Lashley is over enough with the fans to warrant a DVD, WWE should make a Best of Tag Teams DVD

If I am thinking right with the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD in 2005 (may have been 2004 not quite sure) the AWA DVD in 2006 and the World Class DVD this year, I'm expecting a DVD on Jim Crockett Promotions or possibly Stampede Wrestling

It's news to me if they do.

If you're looking at the history of DVDs on dead promotions, I don't think 2005 had one (Rise and Fall of ECW was 2004.. but late 2004) but I know years ago there was a Rise and Fall of WCW on the schedule for a February release. I can't remember if that was supposed to be a February 2005 release to go along with the ECW one, or if the project became the Monday Night Wars DVD (February 2004) but I believe it was the latter - maybe that's not exactly what happened, but I believe the WCW DVD was scheduled for 2004.

I still think they could probably release 4-5 disc release on WCW, one hour documentary, throw in two matches of each big star; Sting, Vader, Flair, Hogan, Savage, and then throw in some of the best cruiserweight matches with guys like Malenko, Jericho, Mysterio, etc. Maybe throw in some of the late NWA from the 80s world championship wrestling stuff, and go over the the beginning and ends more, since we already got a pretty good dvd of the monday night wars. If need be package it as a buy this dvd get the monday night wars for free at places like k-mart.

They haven't done a tag team dvd, but I brought up a tag team dvd I believe in the last thread. Hell, if they wanted to really milk money out of it, they could break it into volumes and release Greatest Tag Teams of the 70s, then 80s, etc.

I still think they could milk another ECW oriented match dvd, include some of the ECW matches from the past and present again.

It's news to me if they do.

If you're looking at the history of DVDs on dead promotions, I don't think 2005 had one (Rise and Fall of ECW was 2004.. but late 2004) but I know years ago there was a Rise and Fall of WCW on the schedule for a February release. I can't remember if that was supposed to be a February 2005 release to go along with the ECW one, or if the project became the Monday Night Wars DVD (February 2004) but I believe it was the latter - maybe that's not exactly what happened, but I believe the WCW DVD was scheduled for 2004.

Ya. I think I'm wrong. I thought I heard of a best of tag teams DVD somewhere. Apparently not

It was one of those oft-rumored DVDs that have yet to actually be produced. TNA has a DVD highlighting tag team wrestling.

A WWE version really does need to be made. Just three discs of great tag teams in action (two showcase matches to a team, although some might appear more then twice).

That was on that list they let people visiting WWE.com vote on. So I think it's on their radar atleast.

on the Tag Team DVD subject, I think if they made one they should do it like the Greatest Superstars of the 80s DVD where they talked about each guy in like 10-15 minutes like disc one they would have early tag teams like The Valiants, Wild Samoans, etc... and go from there

sounds like a good year of dvd releases again.

I already pre-ordered survivor series cuz deepdiscount.com had it for like 13.78 with free shipping and no tax,and thats about 3 bucks cheaper then Id get it for at work even w/discount, plus lately the wwe dvds havent been coming in (last week we didnt even have the world class set, nor did we advertise it) I was on the site to look for an old movie to buy for my mom, and after finding that I checked out the wrestling stuff. They even have started with thna dvds, and they have bound for glory 07 for 11.37 or somethin like that.

I dont know about the summerslam set, since I already recorded 89, 94, and 97 from 24/7 and have most of the shows on tape. Maybe Ill just wait untill the volumes come out. cuz I bit on the rumble set, and the last volume was completely useless cuz it was 03-07 which I already had the original dvds of.

I'm in agreement that they need a proper Rise and Fall of WCW DVD.

If they do this, please get original NWA/WCW talent. I don't want something similiar to MNW where it was only Bischoff defending WCW. I want the crusierweights, to Hogan, Goldberg, Sting, Hall and Nash, etc..........

If they can't get them to speak on WCW then don't even bother.

I already pre-ordered survivor series cuz deepdiscount.com had it for like 13.78 with free shipping and no tax,and thats about 3 bucks cheaper then Id get it for at work even w/discount, plus lately the wwe dvds havent been coming in (last week we didnt even have the world class set, nor did we advertise it) I was on the site to look for an old movie to buy for my mom, and after finding that I checked out the wrestling stuff. They even have started with thna dvds, and they have bound for glory 07 for 11.37 or somethin like that.

I dont know about the summerslam set, since I already recorded 89, 94, and 97 from 24/7 and have most of the shows on tape. Maybe Ill just wait untill the volumes come out. cuz I bit on the rumble set, and the last volume was completely useless cuz it was 03-07 which I already had the original dvds of.

In regards to the Rumble, yeah, in retrospect I am so glad I did not get that. I could buy ALL FOUR volumes from Amazon for cheaper than the entire anthology originally was here, but of course I have no need for the fourht volume. I have 98 and 2000-2001 on tape with no real desire to own 99, but I MAY end up getting it if only to have 2000 and 2001 on DVD. The VHS copies I have of Rumble 1998 and 2000 are those SLP recordings released in Canada (not sure if it was like that in the US) AND was purchased from a video store when they figured anyone that was going to rent it already did... long story short, they have tracking issues. However, since 2000 is the only year I REALLY want on DVD (the VHS of 2001 I have was bought in the US and apparently produced in a higher quality - plus it has no logo blurs) I might just try and track down the original WWF version of the RR2000 DVD. Of course if that's a pain the ass maybe I'll bite the bullet and revel in a DVD quality version of the 98 Rumble (I do like Shawn/Taker, and we all loved the actual Rumble match in high school) and the trainwreck that is the 1999 edition of the show.

On the topic of Circuit City, I don't know how long you've worked there or if stores have a local system for ordering vs. a company mandated amount of what to order, but back in 2002-2004 when I was always going to Michigan to look for DVDs, this one shopping plaza in Dearborn has a Best Buy on one side of the street and a Circuit City on the other. Best Buy always had lots of WWE DVDs but were sometimes sold out of more popular ones (The Monday Night War comes to mind). Using the MNW example, I asked someone and he knew exactly what I was talking about and said it was a hot seller but more might come in later. Across the street, they barely had a clue what I was talking about and had one of the more limited selection of wrestling DVDs I had seen at a home entertainment and electronics based big box store.

Here is the info on the Raw Anniversary DVD set

DISC ONE

# First RAW - January 11, 1993

# Mr. Perfect vs. Ric Flair Loser Leaves WWE Match - January 18, 1993

# Parking Lot Brawl - May 10, 1993

# Razor Ramon vs. The Kid - May 17, 1993

# Shawn Michaels vs. Marty Jannetty Intercontinental Championship Match

May 17, 1993

# Gorilla Monsoon Fires Bobby Heenan - December 6, 1993

# Bret Hart vs. 1-2-3 Kid WWE Championship Match - July 11, 1994

# The Search for The Undertaker - August 1994

# King's Court with William Shatner - January 9, 1995

# Shawn Michaels vs. Owen Hart - November 20, 1995

# Vader attacks WWE President Gorilla Monsoon - January 22, 1996

# A Touch of Goldust - May 27, 1996

# Pillman's Got a Gun - November 4, 1996

# Mankind vs. The Undertaker No Holds Barred - December 9, 1996

# Shawn Loses His Smile - February 13, 1997

# The Ninth Wonder of the World - February 17, 1997

# Original ECW Invasion - February 24, 1997

# Owen Hart vs. British Bulldog WWE European Championship Match-

March 3, 1997

# Bret Speaks His Mind - March 17, 1997

# Flag Match - United States vs. Canada - July 21, 1997

# Stone Cold Stuns the Boss - September 22, 1997

# Bret Screwed Bret - November 17, 1997

# Sable in a Sack - December 8, 1997

# Gold Meets Water - December 15, 1997

# Christmas with DX - December 22, 1997

DISC TWO

# "Tyson and Austin!"- January 19, 1998

# DX Special Report - February 2, 1998

# Dumpster Diving - February 2, 1998

# Formation of the New DX- X-Pac Returns - March 30, 1998

# Stone Cold vs. Vince McMahon - April 13, 1998

# DX Invades WCW - April 27, 1998

# DX Nation - July 6, 1998

# Zamboni 3:16 - September 28, 1998

# The Debut of Mr. Socko - October 5, 1998

# McMahon's Cement Corvette - October 12, 1998

# Bang 3:16 - October 19, 1998

# Mankind wins the WWE Championship - January 4, 1999

# Stone Cold Beer Truck - March 22, 1999

# Monster Truck vs. Town Car - April 19, 1999

# Mean Street Posse vs. the Stooges - May 10, 1999

# The Greater Power Revealed - June 7, 1999

# Y2J - August 9, 1999

# Rock: This is Your Life - September 27, 1999

# Bossman Sympathy - November 8, 1999

# What Happens in Vegas... - November 29, 1999

# Jericho not the new Champion - April 17, 2000

# Shane Purchases WCW - March 26, 2001

# Milk-o-Mania - August 20, 2001

# Triple H Returns - January 7, 2002

# Past Meets Present - February 18, 2002

# Worlds Unite- Bischoff Hugs Vince - July 15, 2002

DISC THREE

# "The Rock" Concert - March 24, 2003

# Kane Unmasks - June 23, 2003

# Musical Chairs with Eugene - July 5, 2004

# Evolution Turns on Randy Orton - August 16, 2004

# Are you ready for some wrestling? - November 22, 2004

# Batista Turns on Triple H - February 21, 2005

# Shelton Benjamin vs. Shawn Michaels - Gold Rush Tournament Match

May 2, 2005

# John Cena Drafted # 1 to RAW - June 6, 2005

# Edge / Lita Wedding - June 20, 2005

# Shawn Michaels turns on Hulk Hogan - July 4, 2005

# Jericho is Fired - August 22, 2005

# Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle - WWE Iron Man Match - October 3, 2005

# A Stone Cold Homecoming - October 3, 2005

# Eric Bischoff Trial - December 5, 2005

# Edge / Lita - Live Sex Celebration - January 9, 2006

# DX Impersonates Shane and Mr. McMahon - June 26, 2006

# Edge vs. Rob Van Dam vs. John Cena - Triple Threat Match for the

WWE Championship - July 3, 2006

# Edge vs. Shawn Michaels - Street Fight - January 22, 2007

# Shawn Michaels Returns! - October 8, 2007

So...

SummerSlam set is coming...

BUT WHERE'S THE SURVIVOR SERIES SET!?

EDIT: Reason I ask really is because I'm curious, from reading the results of the first two survivor series, how they managed to fit 18 men on a ring apron for those 5 Team on 5 Team tag Survivor Series Matches.

EDIT: Reason I ask really is because I'm curious, from reading the results of the first two survivor series, how they managed to fit 18 men on a ring apron for those 5 Team on 5 Team tag Survivor Series Matches.

Keep in mind this was the Bulldogs' last WWE match, and the first time Dynamite Kid wrestled Jacques Rougeau since their backstage fight.

I found this out about the Stone Cold DVD, not very detailed yet until Silvervision put the DVD up for pre-order. But the Austin/Terry Funk confrontation is a nice addition:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.n...ec?OpenDocument

Run Time 502m 14s

01:22:48:12 THE LEGACY OF STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN

01:10:07:19 THE LEGACY OF STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN

01:27:00:01 THE LEGACY OF STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN

01:27:31:02 (THE LEGACY OF STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN)

01:27:00:01 THE LEGACY OF STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN

00:55:21:11 (THE LEGACY OF STONE COLD STEVE AUSTIN)

00:01:09:13 (SCSA LEGACY - DVD EXTRA - THE NAME)

00:05:51:21 (STONE COLD - YOKOZUNA - SUMMERSLAM - 8/26/96)

00:06:13:20 (STONE COLD - TERRY FUNK - SHOTGUN SAT. NIGHT CONFRONTATION - 1/18/97)

00:01:49:07 (SCSA LEGACY - DVD EXTRA DISC 2 - VINCE MCMAHON)

00:02:01:10 (SCSA LEGACY - DVD EXTRA DISC 3 - GLADIATOR COMMERCIAL)

00:01:58:14 (SCSA LEGACY - DVD EXTRA DISC 3 - BTS GLADIATOR COMMERCIAL)

00:13:20:20 (SCSA LEGACY - DVD EXTRA DISC 3 - SNME)

So from the listing I am guessing it will be more like the Bret Hart or Mick Foley DVDs, where they go through each match feud and show them in the "documentary" portion

I would think one major hurdle for the Survivor Series box set would be the 01 Series. The blurring and editing would be off the charts for that show.

That won't be that bad of a problem. They've dealt with far worse blurring than what would be for that show. (The worst I've seen was for WrestleMania 2000.)

So from the listing I am guessing it will be more like the Bret Hart or Mick Foley DVDs, where they go through each match feud and show them in the "documentary" portion

Minor argument, but Bret's wasn't like that. However, you can throw in Rey Mysterio's recent set into the same category.

Keep in mind this was the Bulldogs' last WWE match, and the first time Dynamite Kid wrestled Jacques Rougeau since their backstage fight.

I see, I see.

Kinda weird seeing Hart and Michaels on the same team. Unless I'm missing one, every other time they were in the ring together at Survivor Series, it was on opposite sides (the 92 title match, the 93 Survivor Series match where Michaels replaced Lawler, and of course Montreal)

In regards to the Rumble, yeah, in retrospect I am so glad I did not get that. I could buy ALL FOUR volumes from Amazon for cheaper than the entire anthology originally was here, but of course I have no need for the fourht volume. I have 98 and 2000-2001 on tape with no real desire to own 99, but I MAY end up getting it if only to have 2000 and 2001 on DVD. The VHS copies I have of Rumble 1998 and 2000 are those SLP recordings released in Canada (not sure if it was like that in the US) AND was purchased from a video store when they figured anyone that was going to rent it already did... long story short, they have tracking issues. However, since 2000 is the only year I REALLY want on DVD (the VHS of 2001 I have was bought in the US and apparently produced in a higher quality - plus it has no logo blurs) I might just try and track down the original WWF version of the RR2000 DVD. Of course if that's a pain the ass maybe I'll bite the bullet and revel in a DVD quality version of the 98 Rumble (I do like Shawn/Taker, and we all loved the actual Rumble match in high school) and the trainwreck that is the 1999 edition of the show.

On the topic of Circuit City, I don't know how long you've worked there or if stores have a local system for ordering vs. a company mandated amount of what to order, but back in 2002-2004 when I was always going to Michigan to look for DVDs, this one shopping plaza in Dearborn has a Best Buy on one side of the street and a Circuit City on the other. Best Buy always had lots of WWE DVDs but were sometimes sold out of more popular ones (The Monday Night War comes to mind). Using the MNW example, I asked someone and he knew exactly what I was talking about and said it was a hot seller but more might come in later. Across the street, they barely had a clue what I was talking about and had one of the more limited selection of wrestling DVDs I had seen at a home entertainment and electronics based big box store.

I have worked here at cc since august of 06. But since I was there, for the most part all the wwe dvds that came out, came in our store (exception of unforgiven 06 which showed up after no mercy came in). but starting with no mercy, and now cyber sunday we havent gotten in, or world class. it seems to be a recent thing, maybe a shipping problem.

now when I lived in socal, my local CC had very few wwe dvds in it. but the one I work at now, has most of the big releases of the past 2 years there. In fact I finally sold our last rumble box set last week to some dude. we got in 4 only orignally, and after i bought one, it took 9 months to get rid of the rest. but we havent got the volumes in at all of yet.

sadly, we dont carry tna or any other company.

In case you guys haven't seen it yet, here's the summary for Volume 4 of the Royal Rumble Anthology:

From 2003 - 2007, Superstars from RAW and SmackDown, and now ECW, met in one common match, the Royal Rumble. With an eye toward WrestleMania and a berth in the main event, this five-year period has seen a diverse group of winners, including two iron men who won the match from the first pairing of stars, Chris Benoit and Rey Mysterio. Batista also burst into the upper echelon with his 2005 win en route to his World Heavyweight Championship victory at WrestleMania 21.

http://www.wweshop.com/Product_detail.asp?...ductId=35-00604

Seems like they're keeping everything in tact after all.