TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

UFC 87 - Seek and Destroy

Had to start this thread early, I felt like because it's just gone from total shit to totally awesome.

Main event:

UFC Welterweight Champion Georges St. Pierre (16-2) vs. Jon Fitch (17-2)

Under card:

265 lbs.: Brock Lesnar (1-1) vs. Heath Herring (28-13)*

155 lbs.: Kenny Florian (9-3) vs. Roger Huerta (20-1-1)

185 lbs: Demian Maia (7-0) vs. Jason MacDonald (20-9)*

230 lbs.: Cheick Kongo (11-4-1) vs. Dan Evensen (10-2)*

170 lbs.: Luke Cummo (6-5) vs. Tamdan McCrory (8-1) *

155 lbs.: Frank Edgar (8-1) vs. TBA *

One question: If Jake O'Brien completely dominated Herring, how is he going to stop Brock from taking him down and pummeling him?

This card is a B.J. Penn fight away from featuring all of my top 5 favorite fighters probably.

Okay, Herring is not a good matchup for Brock in his second fight. I can see where you're coming from with the JOB reference but I still think Herring is a pretty dangerous second opponent to give.

EDGAR@~!

O'Brien is also good deal more experienced than Lesnar, in terms of MMA, BJJ training and the fact that he has experience in 15 minute MMA bouts. Also, while I've always been a big detractor of the Herring Hype Machine, Heath is if nothing else extremely tough to finish on the ground and has enough power in his strikes to KO most HW's.

Lollers. If Bocek's hands weren't shit as well as his gas tank he'd have been well on his way to outwrestling Danzig to a decision. Guida has better takedowns, hands, cardio and submission defence. Mac's getting rolled.

Lollers. If Bocek's hands weren't shit as well as his gas tank he'd have been well on his way to outwrestling Danzig to a decision. Guida has better takedowns, hands, cardio and submission defence. Mac's getting rolled.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda, bottom line... Danzig land an ass beating on Bocek. I knew style-wise Bocek was going to be a tough fight for Danzig, and Boceks hands are not shit. He might not be a top notch striker, but he is good enough on his feet to set up his takedowns.

Guida submission defense is very questionable, he tends to get wreckless and gets caught in submissions. He's been submited before. Danzig is a stud, and is a more intelligent fighter then Guida. If Guida leaves an opening on the ground for a submission, Danzig will take advantage of it and finish the fight.

Herring's a dangerous opponent for Brock. Heath's a tough bastard who doesn't fight very intelligently. He's just going to barrel into him with what skills he's got. Herring's going to test how well Brock can take punches, even if Brock takes him down constantly.

If I I'm going to predict, I'd say Brock by decision. His best bet will be to take Heath down and keep him there. Herring most likely isn't going to get a submission off his back, but Brock will have to be on the look out for Heath exploding at the restarts between rounds. If I remember right, that's how he got Kerr way back in the olden days. I strongly doubt Brock can finish Herring. Brock's powerful but Herring is tough. He'll have to nearly kill Herring before he goes down.

UFC knows what their doing with Brock though. If he beats Herring, they can tout it endlessly that he beat someone who was/is one of the top Heavyweights in the world. However, if Brock loses to Herring they can say that Herring nearly KO'd Nog, beat Kongo, and then beat Brock. Title shot land.

I see what everyone is saying - I really do.

But I already mentioned Jake O'Brien and even though he won the fight... KONGO of all people took Heath down at will and dude's got no ground/takedown game at all.

I definitely think Heath can damage Brock standing but I can't envision a scenario where Brock doesn't get Heath on his back... literally within seconds.

Heath being on his back is pretty much a sure bet in this fight. If Nog (who likely has the worst wrestling of any elite HW) can get him down Brock should have no issues.

Heath being on his back is pretty much a sure bet in this fight. If Nog (who likely has the worst wrestling of any elite HW) can get him down Brock should have no issues.

Nog was also able to take Tim Sylvia, you saying Sylvia has crappy takedown defense?

Well, Monson took Sylvia down and he's a dwarf so, yeah. But Nog still has shitty wrestling.

Also, pencil in Rob Emerson vs Manny Gamburyan for this show. I look forward to watching Dana weep as his man-crush Emerson is raped back to front by Manny.

The danger for Brock isn't so much in getting Herring down. He'll get Herring down, most likely with ease...the danger is when the fight gets stood up or restarted. Herring can be deceptively quick with strikes, and he has good power. He will eventually pop Brock with shots, and that's when we'll find out what Brock will do. I doubt he'll run away like O'Brien did. Brock strikes me as the type of person that will swing back if he gets hit. That's where the danger lies. We also have no idea how Brock's chin is. For all we know, one good right could put Brock on his ass.

For nearly beating the #1 contender to the UFC HW title (...hah), we sure still don't know alot about what Brock can/will do.

Well, Monson took Sylvia down and he's a dwarf so, yeah. But Nog still has shitty wrestling.

Nogueria is a black belt in Judo... And his takedowns are not crappy at all.

Hermes Franca vs Frankie Edgar

SWEET JESUS THIS CARD IS SICK

Fitch/GSP

Herring/Lesnar

J-Mac/Maia

Florian/Huerta

Danzig/Guida

Kongo/Evensen

Karo vs TBA

McCrory/Cummo

Franca/Edgar

Manny/Emerson

SOOOOOOOOOOO HOT

I was very happy with UFC 80. UFC 85 looks like it should have good fights, but still seems to be lacking a real main event match

What the fuck are you talking about? GSP/Fitch is a very much a real main event as it comes...

Fitch is the best deserving of a title shot, and GSP is one of the best and is the champion. How is that not a "real main event"?