TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WEC 38: Varner vs. Cerrone

MAIN CARD (TELEVISED)

Champ Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone (for WEC lightweight title)

Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver

Mike Campbell vs. Danilo Villefort

Jose Aldo vs. Rolando Perez

PRELIMINARY CARD (UN-TELEVISED)

Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Njokuani

Edgar Garcia vs. Hiromitsu Miura

Dominick Cruz vs. Ian McCall

Frank Gomez vs. Scott Jorgensen

Blas Avena vs. Jesse Lennox

Charlie Valencia vs. Seth Dikun

Yeah I don't approve. I was digging Faber/Aldo and Garcia/Brown as the next 145 bouts at the top of the card.

Minus the amazing Tamura/Fabiano match in two weeks, of course.

WagFab all day mafuckas.

Speaking of the January WEC card the main event is Donald Cerrone vs Jamie Varner.

Looks like Lenny G is getting the next shot at Brown but the champ has torn cartilage in his ribs so he's out until at least February/March.

Rob's going to have a HUGE amount of reach on him and even though Cowboy won he still showed his power and we saw in Hick's fight vs Varner how he struggles with somebody with good boxing and a massive reach advantage.

Getting no love with Affliction on Saturday. Awesome main event, Urijah/Jens 2 and a couple other fights that have high potential. Nice.

I'm all about more gold getting added to the ever-growing collection at Jacksons so fuck yeah Cerrone.

I hate Pulver vs Faber. In terms of "big" fights I could give less then a shit about it, 99% of the reasoning being that it's a terribly useless fight.

I'm all about more gold getting added to the ever-growing collection at Jacksons so fuck yeah Cerrone.

Yeah they are going to need one more belt to replace the one they lose on Jan 31st.

Main event should be a good one. Cerrone has looked great in all his WEC fights and i think he should win this but i always seem to underestimate Jamie Varner, every time i pick against him he wins so who knows.

Faber/Pulver II is pretty pointless, but hopefully as long as Faber and Aldo win their fights it leads to a Faber/Aldo fight sometime soon. Out of all the fights the WEC could put together Urijah Faber vs Jose Aldo is right at the top as far as fights i need to see.

Jorgensen is fucking freaky to look at, but he managed to hit one of my favorite submissions of all (grovit/Cromado guillotine), so it evens out.

Varner's gonna get a nice chat from the higher ups after that little outburst. Fucking sucks though, there was still potential for a Cowboy victory in the fifth even though I thought if it went the distance Varner would have taken it. A split was a bit much, IMO.

I have no idea how a fighter as likeable as Cerrone can have such unbearable fans. I'm starting to see why Breen & Rios hardly post anymore. my thoughts from BK, here:

I think Cerrone fans are missing the silver lining in all of this: without the knee, Cerrone likely gets laid on for another few minutes, and still loses a split JD. As is, the loss is going to be viewed as largely tainted, and an immediate rematch is that much more likely because of it.

Of course, I would have liked Varner to continue, but fucked if I know how bad he was or wasn't hurt by that knee. If that kind of thing could be judged based on looks, I'd say Eastman took a dive against Lutter.

I kinda underrated Jamie Varner in my mind prior to this and I respect him a bit more as a champion now. He had some really good ground and pound. Cerrone is like a cyborg.

And how about the post fight interview guy... "Jens, you have now lost three in a row. Are you still relevant?" Jens proceeds to burst into tears. Strong work.

117zm0j.gif

The thing was you're talking about a split second between "legal" and "illegal" and they don't use instant replay to judge those things. I suppose that Rosenthal's reasoning here was that Varner was trying to get back down instead of getting up, unlike Riggs who was getting back up vs Sanchez?

Good fight up until the end though.