TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Passenger

WATCHMEN!

Guest Passenger

EDIT:

WARNING: CONTAINS WATCHMEN SPOILERS!!!!!

I Just got thru reading watchmen, i really enjoyed it...I really liked the Rorschach character...it was great the way every1 was shit scared of him and when he was unmasked he turned out to be a skinny freckly ginger kid...they way he died was also great, how he told Osterman to kill him and just stood there and took it. Apparently you're supposed to read it through a second time, as you begin to notice things that give clues towards important events in the story...

Anyway i thoroughly enjoyed it, it was easily the most compelling graphic novel i've read....

any thoughts???

Guest J*ingus

My main thought was, in the future, don't spoil major plot details like that unless you warn people first.

But yeah, it was a great book.

Guest pinnacleofallthingsmanly

You almost gave plot spoilers for me, but I managed to look away in the nick of time.

Guest cynicalprofit

BEST GRAPHIC NOVEL EVER! or atleast tied for the title with Dark Knight by frank miller, not to be confused with the DK2, which sucks total ass.

Guest areacode212

I've read this about 10 times, and discovered something new just about every time.

*SPOILER SPACE*

I really liked the Rorschach character...it was great the way every1 was shit scared of him and when he was unmasked he turned out to be a skinny freckly ginger kid...

Also, I'm not sure if you realized it, but Rorschach wasn't just ANY skinny freckly kid, but he was the guy who was often shown holding the sign in the background.

Guest Ozymandias

That's funny, I registered my new name as Ozymandias - but I'm STILL "Awaiting Authorisation", hence still using this name - a few hours ago, and I was wondering why I hadn't ever noticed a Watchmen topic here since they're usually around on any comic forum. And then....wait for it....VOILA!

Anyway, Watchmen is the best BOOK ever written, period, and owns all of you as well as your children, your grand-children, and most of your in-laws.

I know everyone always likes Rorschach best, but I thought all the characters were wonderfully thought out, written and drawn.

Q: Did anyone see You-Know-Who's turn coming? I only realized it about a page and a half before they discovered it.

"This Forum fears me, I have seen it's true face...."

Guest J*ingus
Q: Did anyone see You-Know-Who's turn coming? I only realized it about a page and a half before they discovered it.

The brilliant part is, I don't even think it was much of a "turn" so to speak. It was just Alan Moore applying his merciless logic to the situation. "Okay, if this guy REALLY existed in real life, what would he be like? What would he do?" And the answers will take your breath away.

Guest Vyce

This is what we comic geeks can hold up to the snobs in the literary world and declare, "HEY! See this? Art, mofo. This is as good as any of that boring shit you gave the Pulitzer too this year."

It's really one of the milestones in comics / graphic novels / whatever you want to call pictures with words attached to them. It's truly deserving of the term "masterpiece".

I could point out a thousand things that I love about this series, but the one that still sticks with me is Ozymandias' speech.

" 'Do it? ' Dan, I'm not a republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my masterstroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome?

I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Floored me. I read that, and was ON MY ASS for the next 10 minutes.

This work is enough for me to forgive Moore for all of that Spawn work he did later on.

Guest JaKyL25

All I have to say is HOLY SHIT does this book rule. The only thing besides Lord of the Rings that I make a point to re-read at least once a year. In the realm of the graphic novel, Watchmen is truly the singular greatest masterpiece.

What makes it stand out on a level even higher than that of Dark Knight is that to fully GET DK, you have to be familiar with Batman and his universe, but Watchmen can be read by any open-minded person, and if they didn't enjoy it I daresay they might be the first.

My favorite character is Ozymandias BTW, and not Rorschach. They're all SO wonderful, though.

Edit: Post #200, and it was about Watchmen! Whoo-hoo!

I'm up to the ranks of Velocity now, suckers!

Guest pochorenella

I've read it, and honestly didn't enjoy it quite as much as others like Dark Knight or even Earth X, but I did like. Things like that little kid reading that adventure book, did it mean something? Did it parallel something about the story? I didn't get it, to be honest.

I think I must really find the time to re-read it (I've only read it once) so maybe I'll catch on to what everybody thinks and get all those little details that you say.