TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE 24/7 Discussion Thread - August 2007

August is almost upon us, so here's a listing of shows we will most likely all say we didn't receive, then discuss once we did:

WWE.com synopsis:

August 2007: SummerSlam...Biggest Party of the Summer

All August, relive the best summertime matches under the sun as WWE 24/7™ On Demand hosts “SummerSlam®: The Biggest Party of Summer™.”

Plus, don't miss all this great action:

LEGENDS

WWE Hall of Fame: Junkyard Dog – It’s time to “Grab them Cakes” and get down with the Dog as we look back at one of WWE’s most popular Superstars. Follow JYD from his early days in Stampede Wrestling to memorable WWE battles against Greg “The Hammer” Valentine and “King” Harley Race. Includes emotional 2004 Hall of Fame induction.

THE BIG ONES

SummerSlam ‘97 – WWE’s Biggest Party of the Summer features a night of championships and controversy. Mankind battles Triple H in a Steel Cage Match. Stone Cold Steve Austin takes on Owen Hart for the WWE Intercontinental title. The Undertaker defends the WWE Championship against “Hitman” Bret Hart with Shawn Michaels as the guest referee.

SummerSlam ‘89 – The 2nd edition of WWE’s Summertime celebration features Hulk Hogan and Brutus Beefcake battling “Macho Man” Randy Savage and Zeus. The Ultimate Warrior and Rick Rude face off for the WWE Intercontinental title. The Brain Busters and the Hart Foundation battle for the WWE Tag Team titles and much more.

TV CLASSICS

The Monday Night War – Michael Cole hosts two (2) new episodes as WWE and WCW continue the battle for Monday Night dominance. WCW’s top stars look to stand up and challenge the nWo on Nitro. Raw features an ECW invasion, plus huge matchups including Bret Hart vs. Triple H and The Rock vs. Vader.

World Class Championship Wrestling – As the calendar turns to 1983, the action is really heating up down in Texas. Hosts Michael Hayes and Kevin Von Erich bring you all the highlights, as the Freebirds team with David Von Erich to go after the WCCW Six Man Tag Team Title. A wild 18 Man Battle Royal Pole Match features King Kong Bundy and The Spoiler, plus so much more.

SHORTIES

The Summer is all about fun-in-the-sun, so enjoy these fantastic outdoor matches:

Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage vs. Sting and Lex Luger at Spring Break in Panama City

Ric Flair defends the NWA Championship vs. Kerry Von Erich at Texas Stadium

The Road Warriors vs. the Fabulous Freebirds for the AWA Tag Team Championship at Comiskey Park in Chicago.

Bret Hart defends the Intercontinental Title vs. hometown hero The British Bulldog at SummerSlam in Wembley Stadium in London.

---

Sunflower cable schedule:

Week 1 - August 1st - 7th:

Free Section:

WWE 24/7 August Preview

"Bret Hart" Preview

"Ric Flair" Preview

SummerSlam Preview

Legends:

Junkyard Dog - Hall of Fame piece

JYD vs Hart Foundation (JYD and Bulldog)

JYD vs Ric Flair (Clash of the Champions XI)

JYD vs Terry Funk (MSG, 1985)

TV Classics:

Monday Night War - February 23, 1997 ("Raw is ECW")

History of ECW - December 10, 1995

Primetime Wrestling - August 14, 1989 (Extended edition: Summerslam hype show)

Big Ones:

SummerSlam 1989

Judgment Day 2007

Nassau Coliseum show - June 10, 1989

Shorties:

Hulk Hogan vs Paul Orndorff (The Big Event)

Al Snow vs Big Bossman (SummerSlam 99)

Ric Flair vs Von Erich (1984)

Tazz vs Louie Spicoll (1997)

WCW Battle Royal (Road Wild 1998 - nWo vs nWo vs Bill Goldberg)

Week 2 - August 8th - 14th:

TV Classics:

NWA Wrestling (scheduled to be 11/16/85, might be a redo of 11/09/85)

WCCW - January 1, 1983

Legends:

WrestleFest 88

Week 3 - August 15th - 21st:

Legends:

JYD vs. Adrian Adonis

JYD vs. Randy Savage

JYD vs. Harley Race

Ric Flair and the Four Horsemen

TV Classics:

History of ECW - December 17, 1995

Tuesday Night Titans - January 10, 1986

Raw is War - July 28, 1997 (last Raw before SummerSlam 97)

Big Ones:

SummerSlam 1997 (two parts)

Boston Gardens - October 12, 1985

Shorties:

Bret Hart vs British Bulldog (SummerSlam 92)

Terry Funk vs Chris Candido (WCW Thunder?)

Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage vs Sting and Lex Luger (Panama City Spring Breakout)

Road Warriors vs Freebirds (AWA)

Ric Flair vs Randy Savage (the Baywatch themed Bash at the Beach)

Week 4 - August 22nd - 28th:

Legends:

SummerSlam's Greatest Hits (Sean Mooney hosted video)

TV Classics:

CWF - January 4, 1986

Monday Night War - March 3, 1997 ("Raw is Germany")

NWA Wrestling (either November 16th or 23rd, depending on above).

Guest krash9924

can't wait to see Flair vs Von Erich! looks like a great month coming up

So, what involvement, if any, does Benoit have in the big matches/main event interviews on the Nitros leading to Uncensored? I only ask since he's part of the main event.

WCCW moves into 1983? So they're skipping the Flair-Kerry cage match?

1/1/1983 would be the Flair/Kerry cage match show I would believe. We'll see. Two Kerry/Flair matches actually this month, as the shorties match should be the Texas Stadium title change.

Well, that 1/1/83 show doesn't look like Flair/Kerry from the sound of that preview. It might be matches from that Reunion Arena show though, since it had the Freebirds and David Von Erich teaming thus indicating it was right before the Hayes heel turn that ignited the feud.

I just checked this out and yes this is the same card. I wonder if the Flair/Kerry match is on the next episode though, since it seems like a lot to cover that particular match in addition to that 6 man tag and the battle royale that was mentioned.

The Prime Time they are showing is really good and it's a 3-hour special. And the 6/10/89 Nassau Coliseum has one of the worst matches I've ever seen - Andre the Giant vs Hillbilly Jim but to make up for it there is a real good Rockers-Rougeaus match on this show

I also believe the Prime Time Wrestling show contains the odd Brainbusters vs Demolition title switch which never made any sense to me. Were Demolition holding out during contract negotiations or something? What was the point of putting the belts on the Busters so randomly, only to stick them back on Demolition a month later?

The WCW Battle Royal is from Road Wild '99, Snow/Bossman is the match from Summerslam '99. The Monday Night Wars features the ECW invasion this week. JYD/Bulldog vs. Hart Foundation, JYD subbed for Dynamite Kid in the match due to Kid's back injury. JYD/Funk aired as part of the MSG show several months ago.

Guest uruloke

Did anyone not get the Monday Night War for this week? I have everything except MNW, shame cuz i really wanted to see the ECW invasion. Hopefully it comes up later.

Guest flairfan

Ok, what did everyone get in terms of updates last night? I didnt get anything in Big Ones, Nothing in Legends, nothing in Shorties.

However, I did get 3 new things in TV Classics. New Primetime, New Monday Night Wars, and something else, cant remember..BUT I should have gotten several things in the other sections and didnt..Anyone see what im seeing?

Cogeco was good this week, everything but Judgment Day 07 (expected due to the current policy of not putting up the newer shows, which I hoped would end by this show since I haven't seen it) and all there just shortly after midnight.

Man I was disappointed when my assumption that an outdoor WCW battle royal must have been the junkyard one turned out wrong. That match from Road Wild 98 is incredibly boring, but it was good to know they have the rights to the Wolfpac theme, I guess.

Guest heyguesswhatidid

I have MNW's. I'm watching it right now. It's my favorite Raw ever because I was there. I was only 11 at the time and it was amazing.

For those with 24/7 Online:

Summer Skin: SmackDown - Torrie Wilson vs. SableJuly 1, 2004 | Approx. run time: 5 mins.In a heated rematch following a controversial win by Sable just days earlier at The Great American Bash, Torrie Wilson took on her rival on SmackDown. Who would win this contest to settle their differences once and for all?

Summer Skin: Raw - Trish Stratus vs. Jackie GaydaNovember 24, 2003 | Approx. run time: 3 mins.On the November 24, 2003 edition of Raw, Trish Stratus and Jackie Gayda faced off in a Bra & Panties Match. What could be hotter? Find out who would be stripped down to her underwear and see who else ends up baring some skin.

Summer Skin: Raw - Mickie James & Candice vs. Torrie Wilson & MariaJune 19, 2006 | Approx. run time: 5 mins.What's hotter than two beautiful Divas battling it out in a Bra & Panties Match? How about four Divas in action trying to claw off each other's clothes? Live out your fantasy and watch when Mickie James & Candice Michelle took on Torrie Wilson and Maria in one of the hottest matches in sports-entertainment history.

Introducing: Mr. Kennedy - SmackDown, Mr. Kennedy vs. FunakiAugust 25, 2005 | Approx. run time: 9 mins.Ladies and gentlemen, now introducing Mr. Kennedy! Kennedy! See the SmackDown debut of arguably the loudest Superstar to step into the squared circle as Kennedy takes on Funaki.

Feature includes introduction by Mr. Kennedy.

Wrestling Hot-Beds: North CarolinaAugust 1, 2007 | Approx. run time: 57 mins.Check out the second installment of Wrestling Hot-Beds as WWE 24/7 Online visits the Tar Heel State. Get a firsthand tour from native North Carolinian Matt Hardy. Be one of the first to watch The Hardys win their initial championship vs. the Acolytes - as it's only available here. Also, see Ric Flair in action against Vader as well as against The Rock, and watch Matt Hardy take on Gregory Helms in an all N.C. contest.

SummerSlam Spectacular: Hulk Hogan vs. Shawn MichaelsAugust 21, 2005 | Approx. run time: 30 mins.Shawn Michaels brought his undefeated solo SummerSlam record into 2005's Biggest Party of the Summer when the icon took on the legend, Hulk Hogan. Something had to give when the immortal one, who shared the same SummerSlam record, took on the Showstopper. Which of these two all-time greats would prevail?

SummerSlam Spectacular: Triple H vs. The RockAugust 30, 1998 | Approx. run time: 32 mins.Two of the greatest titans to ever wear gold stepped into the ring to do battle at SummerSlam 1998. Which champion would prove to want it more with The Rock's Intercontinental Championship dangling from the ceiling and only two men and a ladder in the squared circle?

SummerSlam Spectacular: Davey Boy Smith vs. Bret HartAugust 29, 1992 | Approx. run time: 30 mins.In 1992, the best there is, was, and ever will be put his Intercontinental Championship on the line against the British Bulldog. What would happen when Bret Hart took on family in this unforgettable SummerSlam contest?

SummerSlam Spectacular: Mankind vs. UndertakerAugust 18, 1996 | Approx. run time: 32 mins.Mankind faced Undertaker at SummerSlam 1996 in one of the scariest matches to ever take place: a Boiler Room Brawl. Who would escape to the ring and retrieve the urn and who would be forced to "rest in peace"?

SummerSlam Spectacular: Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage vs. Ted DiBiase & Andre the GiantAugust 29, 1988 | Approx. run time: 23 mins.In the main event of the first ever SummerSlam, the Mega Powers - Hulk Hogan & "Macho Man" Randy Savage - took on the Mega Bucks - "Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase & Andre the Giant. With Bobby "The Brain" Heenan and Virgil at ringside, would having numbers on their side be enough for the Mega Bucks to pull off the win? Would special guest referee Jesse "The Body" Ventura play a role?

Judging by the "next month" preview of the last few weeks, I was sure we were gonna get classics matches from past Summerslams (like Bret vs Owen, Austin vs Taker, Bret vs Bulldog, Bret vs Perfect.) instead we get outdoor matches. Not a bad thing but that promo was misleading. At least, in a few months time, we will have the springbreak Nitro where it is obligatoiry that one must take a bump in the pool.

Ric Flair and The Four Horsemen....that would be cool to see but I strongly doubt that I'll ever get it.

I hope it's The Spring Break Nitro where Team Package fights Sting and Vampiro in a falls count anywhere match and Sting hits Luger with a bowl of bean dip. I believe that's also the same show with Hulk Hogan Vs The Wall (IT'S THE WALL BROTHER!) in the main event.

This PTW is already leaps and bounds better than the ones we've been getting, although I do miss the Monsoon/Heenan tandem.

- I forgot just how ridiculous WWF was with the canned heat for SNME. I was thinking what a great reaction Snuka's comeback was getting and then I noticed that the entire crowd was seated and bored looking. After that, it was absurd how different the crowd and their "reactions" were.

- I think Hulk means steroids when he's talking about "potion."

- That Rougeaus match was surprisingly fun. It looked like a squash, which it wound up being, but what a fun squash. Rougeaus are one of those pairings I appreciate much more as an older viewer.

- It's too bad Koko B. Ware was only four-feet-tall cuz dude rocked in the ring. Mark that as the first Mike Sharpe match I've ever enjoyed.

Every time I have to sit through a match that has Lord Alfred Hayes commentating, I think back to the thread here after he passed where countless people were fondly remembering his work. If there was ever an example of death blurring perception, that was it. He's absolutely awful.

He made the typically terrible Coliseum Video matches even worse with his commentary. He's the exception to the rule that British people sound smarter. The guy just stumbled over everything he said and NEVER added anything insightful. Yet, his presence is littered all over WWF TV from this era.

He was apparently a great heel while he was a wrestler but I highly highly doubt anybody on this board has actually seen his old work.

I agree with him being a terrible commentator, I think even Sean Mooney was a little bit better than him. At least he seemed to show some genuine interest in what was going on.

Although I will say the short lived heel Lord Alfred Hayes commentating run towards the end of his WWF stint was a guilty pleasure of mine.

He was apparently a great heel while he was a wrestler but I highly highly doubt anybody on this board has actually seen his old work.

I agree with him being a terrible commentator, I think even Sean Mooney was a little bit better than him. At least he seemed to show some genuine interest in what was going on.

Although I will say the short lived heel Lord Alfred Hayes commentating run towards the end of his WWF stint was a guilty pleasure of mine.

Curt Hennig saying "Shutup Mooney!" is my only memory of Sean Mooney.

Mooney was probably my favorite of the lame pretty boy announcers the WWF had in the late 80s/early 90s. He had a deadpan asshole humor at times that was a bit more subversive than these other dolts like Craig DeGeorge.

Mooney was probably my favorite of the lame pretty boy announcers the WWF had in the late 80s/early 90s. He had a deadpan asshole humor at times that was a bit more subversive than these other dolts like Craig DeGeorge.

Yeah, he wasn't as bad as the other guys. He wasn't good but I'd take him any day over Craig DeGeorge (his predecessor as pretty boy announcer) and Todd Pettingill (his successor). Pettingill was the absolute pits as an announcer. All he ever did was tell lame jokes and you could tell when he was doing it that he really didn't care for wrestling. At least, DeGeorge and Mooney pretended they cared. Thankfully, Pettingill didn't commentate that much but on the rare occassion I do come across him annoucing on an old tape, I mute it. I don't do that for any other announcer! Not even Lee Marshall.

Not a bad lineup for WWE 24/7 Online this month. In 2 weeks, it's 6 more SummerSlam matches, 3 more diva matches, and Part II of the History of the IC Title.

September will be "Old School" month. I'm setting myself up to have my hopes dashed by wanting more 80s MSG/Boston/Spectrum (Dick Graham rules!) matches.

WWE.com is slowly updating the 24/7 page. Next month's PYBO poll is between In Your House: Great White North, One Night Only, and Insurextion 03. What an odd bunch (must be an international theme next month).

This PTW is already leaps and bounds better than the ones we've been getting, although I do miss the Monsoon/Heenan tandem.

- I forgot just how ridiculous WWF was with the canned heat for SNME. I was thinking what a great reaction Snuka's comeback was getting and then I noticed that the entire crowd was seated and bored looking. After that, it was absurd how different the crowd and their "reactions" were.

- I think Hulk means steroids when he's talking about "potion."

- That Rougeaus match was surprisingly fun. It looked like a squash, which it wound up being, but what a fun squash. Rougeaus are one of those pairings I appreciate much more as an older viewer.

- It's too bad Koko B. Ware was only four-feet-tall cuz dude rocked in the ring. Mark that as the first Mike Sharpe match I've ever enjoyed.

I watched the nassau show, the snme and summerslam 89 today. Hogans comments about his potion left me sitting then with a bewildered look on my face and my tounge hanging out, my god what the hell was Hogan thinking ot come up with that. same with the cauldron of madness at summerslam with sherri stirring up smoke.

It was cool to see the Brainbusters win the tag titles, and funny with Heenan doctoring the footage. The reason why the Busters lost the title so soon, was that they had agreed to jump to wcw (but tully failed a drug test right after and only Arn was welcomed back to WCW)

WWE.com is slowly updating the 24/7 page. Next month's PYBO poll is between In Your House: Great White North, One Night Only, and Insurextion 03. What an odd bunch (must be an international theme next month).

Which In Your House is Great White North? Is that the one with Camp Cornette Vs HBK, Ahmed Johnson, and Sid in the main event?