TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Enigma

WWE Signs Masato Tanaka

Former ECW World Champion & Tag Team Champion Masato Tanaka announced today in Japan that he had been invited to appear at the 6/12 ECW One Night Stand PPV at the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan, New York and will be appearing on the show.

Tanaka held the ECW World championship for several days towards the end of 1999, defeating Mike Awesome in Nashville, TN on 12/17, losing the belt back to Awesome in White Plains, New York on 12/23. Tanaka also held the ECW World Tag Team championships with Balls Mahoney and Tommy Dreamer.

credit: PWInsider

Thats fucking awesome, now what would he be doing? Would he be teaming with Balls since Balls has been telling people he's working it as well? Or will the WWE get Awesome so they can have another match? Hopefully they can keep Masato around, he'd be a good addition to the Smackdown brand as long as he wasn't booked as the evil jap.

They need to get Tanaka's FMW (I think that's the promotion) theme.

The one that sounds like an opening to an anime.

Was the them called Dangun?

They need to get Tanaka's FMW (I think that's the promotion) theme.

The one that sounds like an opening to an anime.

Was the them called Dangun?

Yeah, that's the one.

Add me to the list, I'd tune into SD! to see Tanaka.....

And they really need to bring in Awesome as his opponent, that's what people associate Tanaka with when they think ECW

Guest Trivia247

I don't know if someone has mentioned it or not yet but...

Balls Mahoney has been telling friends that he is also Signed for ECW one Night Stand.

PWInsider reports that Justin Credible & Jason, The World's Sexiest Man have signed on for ECW One Night Stand as well.

Is it me, or does Tanaka not really scream ECW? He came in to feud with Awesome and worked goofy hardcore matches where you no sell chair shots that in WWE would be a 100 count.

Did he ever work for ECW in years past before the Awesome thing?

Now that Credible and Mamaluke are in, they MUST book Impact Players vs. FBI.

PWInsider reports that Justin Credible & Jason, The World's Sexiest Man have signed on for ECW One Night Stand as well.

Wait, you mean...

a) Jason was able to clear his incredibly busy schedule to work this event?

and

b) His phone is actually connected?

Jason without Joey Styles to feign disgust is just wrong.

He wrestled Doug Furnas on one PPV event. He was supposed to wrestle someone else...I think Kanemura, I dunno, my memory isn't great...but Kanemura pulled out so Furnas replaced him. Anyway, long story short, they had a terrible match.

He wrestled Doug Furnas on one PPV event. He was supposed to wrestle someone else...I think Kanemura, I dunno, my memory isn't great...but Kanemura pulled out so Furnas replaced him. Anyway, long story short, they had a terrible match.

His first PPV against Awesome was Heatwave '98.

He appeared before that in a couple of big cards: Living Dangerously '98 vs Doug Furnas, and at Terry Funk's WrestleFest where he tagged with Jinsei Shinzaki and Hayabusa to defeat Jake Roberts and The Headhunters.

Last time I saw him was at the Ring Of Honor show where he tagged with Ohtani to defeat Corino & Loki.

Cheers.

Tanaka went on to hold the ECW Tag Team Championship twice. Once with Tommy Dreamer and once with Balls Mahoney.

And regarding the replacement PPV, I do believe you are thinking of ECW Hardcore Heaven 2000. Balls Mahoney was supposed to face Kintaro Kanemura, but Kanemura didn't make it for whatever reason (since this was so close to the end of ECW, probably a $$$ issue), and Tanaka replaced him, since Tanaka used to be a former championship partner of Mahoney.

Guest souledge316

WWE needs to sign Sandman, Sabu, Jerry Lynn and New Jack for this reunion to work.

Shit, from the main page it read "WWE signs Masato Tanaka." I poped...then cliked the WWE forum to see it was for this one night thing...BAH!

Tanaka vs Mahoney is suprisingly always good

WWE needs to sign Sandman, Sabu, Jerry Lynn and New Jack for this reunion to work.

The Sandman was one of the first people contacted by WWE for the PPV but Sandman turned them down.

Sabu was recently contacted, but he hasn't agreed either way.

Jerry Lynn is currently under TNA contract. Tommy Dreamer recently contacted TNA on behalf of WWE and asked them if they could work out a deal to use Raven, Shane Douglas, Jerry Lynn, & Kid Kash on the ECW PPV. The Jarretts told Dreamer to fuck off.

I'm sure they've come to a deal with New Jack for the show.

Guest LooneyTune

If WWE can get a few big names (At least Sabu and New Jack), I might get the DVD for the show, as long as it's not too "WWE influenced". I don't wanna see Eddie Guerrero, considering he was in ECW for like 4 months, and in WCW/WWF for 11 years.

Guest Neon

Pwinsider reports that Axl Rotten is the latest talent to have been booked for the 6/12 ECW One Night Stand PPV in New York City.

Guest Eric the Eagle

The replacement match was definitely against Furnas, simply because Tanaka wasn't the one replaced (of course, the two are not mutually exclusive). That match is Furnas' last as "the WWF guy", since he turns on his manager and joins ECW proper immideately after. If it isn't Tanaka's first show, it's definitely an early one.

Same show that has RVD vs. 2 Cold Scorpio, by the way.

Pwinsider reports that Axl Rotten is the latest talent to have been booked for the 6/12 ECW One Night Stand PPV in New York City.

The big question is whether or not he'll get fired before the show for a lack of Axl Rotten merchandise being sold.