TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Smallville: Season 7

No love for Smallville? Last week's season premiere followed up on an excellent season 6 finale, with Clark disposing of Bizarro , the final phantom, and the revelation (although none of the characters are aware) that Lana is alive and living incognito in Shanghai, China. Lex is in jail for her murder, after escaping briefly with the help of Bizarro.

This week, Clark is set to leave Smallville and begin his superhero training. The episode just started here on the west coast.

Hey wow, this thread really took off!

Season 7 resumes next Thursday. 4 more episodes are scheduled. In other, sadder news...

http://tv.ign.com/articles/857/857101p1.html

Smallville casting -- or cast departures to be specific -- spoilers follow.

Rumors have been flying about the departure of two key Smalllville cast members for the upcoming, just announced eighth season. Those rumors seem to be getting confirmation now, as TV Guide's Michael Ausiello says he hears that Michael Rosenbaum ("Lex Luthor") and Kristen Kreuk ("Lana Lang") have indeed informed the producers they will not be signing on again as series regulars when they're done with their work on the current Season 7.

Obviously the loss of both would be extremely notable for the series, particularly Rosenbaum, since the Lex Luthor storyline has been integral to the show since it began. Ausiello says both actors note they are open to returning in guest appearances or for specific story arcs and that details are being worked out to make that happen.

Lanaville without Lana? How will the show survive?

Seriously though, I got tired of Lana by season 2 or 3. Just give Allison Mack more to do and I'll be happy. My luck, they'll start building the Clark/Lois relationship.

Superman without Lex? What are they going to do? How the hell are they going to write out Superman's nemesis? Unless they somehow turn Lionel heel again, what are they going to do for a big bad? A "bad guy of the week" format won't work for a real long time.

Lanaville without Lana? How will the show survive?

Seriously though, I got tired of Lana by season 2 or 3. Just give Allison Mack more to do and I'll be happy. My luck, they'll start building the Clark/Lois relationship.

Superman without Lex? What are they going to do? How the hell are they going to write out Superman's nemesis? Unless they somehow turn Lionel heel again, what are they going to do for a big bad? A "bad guy of the week" format won't work for a real long time.

Fans have been clamoring for Lana's death for forever, so, I think it'll definitely survive. (And yea, I'm aware, that was some form of sarcasm, at least I believe) But I couldn't see Lana going past this season anyways. As I'm almost positive she's already dead, and the current Lana is a clone. This I don't know for sure, just speculation on my part, so it's not a spoiler.

Rosenbaum is awesome though, and I'll be sad to see him go. and it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility, for Lionel to become the 'Big Bad'. And it would be a pretty cool dynamic seeing as he knows all of Clark's secrets.

Brainiac could very well become that too. I don't know why, but I could totally see them going the whole "Green /Purple brainiac" route, sometime in season 8, just because.

Yeah it was sarcasm.

Really, if they wanted to, I guess they could go old school and have like a fledgling Legion of Doom with Brainiac as the big bad, an occasional appearance by Lex (if Rosenbaum is open to some guest starring appearances), maybe even Curtis Knox if they can get Cain out to Vancouver for a while. Plus, apparently Kevin Sorbo's going to be out there to shoot a 3 or 4 episode arc. If he's a bad guy, maybe get him in on it. I would be OK with that, although I'm sure this would lead to "woe is me" angsty Clark, which no one wants.

Considering I didn't like what I saw when I first saw the preview, not a bad episode last night. Even though I didn't like that he and Tess Mercer got screens in the opening credits (When everyone else had to wait until their second season, yea, I'm fickle like that) I think I'm going to like the "Davis Bloome" character.

Interesting to note, while watching with a friend, I said to him, "Fuck this guy looks exactly like The Apprentice." From Star Wars Force Unleashed. And what do you know, it sure is him. The main character of Force Unleashed uses his voice and likeness, he also did other characters, Emperor Palpatine for one. I just thought that was pretty cool.

I've started paying attention to the show again, and man am I glad they finally moved past all that farmboy Smallville Lana crap.

It actually feels like Superman now, with Clark and Lois working desk to desk at the Daily Planet, Clark having to sneak off to save people in the actual city, snappy pseudo-romantic banter with Clark and Lois (so much easier to watch than all that Lana garbage), investigating stories together, they've even shifted Lois' character subtly more towards the Lois that we know. All they need now is to bring Jimmy back into the Planet as a photographer and do more with the Lois/Clark/Jimmy trio.

Oh and Michael McKean returning as Perry White.

I would so watch an arc-driven "Metropolis" with Welling, Durance, that ashmore kid who plays Jimmy, and Michael McKean.

So, anyone else still watching?

Because this season has been pretty damn amazing so far. And tonight, for an episode that I first thought "Oh no, another Saw ripoff episode" was actually a great show. Everything from Tess/Ollie's love-hate relationship they've got going, Jimmy/Chloe finally getting over their trust issues and actually looking like a couple for once, and Clark/Lois.

The "snappy pseudo-romantic banter with Clark and Lois" as mentioned above is easily my favorite part of the show now. And I really like the Clark/Lois captured scene.

And next week, Doomsday!

I really like the Clark/Lois interactions now. But the overall feel is kinda old; this week some characters got kidnapped and Clark couldn't save the day because kryptonite was near by, but he did in the end. How many times has that happened? It's pretty dull.

I'm still watching this show based solely on the fact that I've seen every episode. That being said...maybe it's because my expectations are so low...but I'm kind of enjoying this season. I miss Lex but I don't hate the girl they've replaced him with. I like Oliver Queen...so I'm glad he's a regular. That helps a lot. Also...no Lana is better. Lois and Clark is a lot better.

I have been pleasently surprised at how this season is going. I am glad that Lana is gone but I wish Rosenbaum was still with the show. The appearence of Doomsday is going to be interesting next week.

FUCK YOU SMALLVILLE! HOW DARE THEY CUT IT OFF THERE!

Amazing episode. Doomsday doesn't look that bad.

Doomsday does look pretty good considering the TV budgets and all. I've been enjoying this season a lot more than I tought I would going in. My only complaint is the way that Doomsday is a lovesick fool...but I did enjoy the way they brought his origin of regenative tissue that keeps getting stronger when it dies into the show instead of ignoring it. Hopefully that means the eventual end of him will make sense.

Wait, what the fuck, how did this show become good all of a sudden? In the eighth season?

New executive producers have alot to do with it.

The original producers were basically in love with Kristin Kreuk, which is why Lana got so much TV time. She leaves and suddenly they decided to leave as well.

Her being on the show was a reason I gave up on it

Ditto. I mean, don't get me wrong. She makes me feel funny in my pants but she seriously sucked the life out of that show.

I think the show's been good the whole time I've watched, which has been seasons 6 and 7. I've been watching old episodes on ABC Family from time to time, and now they're showing random episodes on a new channel I get called HDNet. Chloe in HD? Even hotter.

What the hell??? All that good work so far this season has been thrown down the drain the second Lana came back on the show. Now all of the sudden it's the Clark and Lana show again. I swear this show has become like really bad fan fiction. Just when they are finally going forward with Clark and Lois they go and do this.

What the hell??? All that good work so far this season has been thrown down the drain the second Lana came back on the show. Now all of the sudden it's the Clark and Lana show again. I swear this show has become like really bad fan fiction. Just when they are finally going forward with Clark and Lois they go and do this.

Yea, I still love the show but I gotta agree. The Clark/Lois tension was a million times better. Although I will admit, that visual of Lana 'Rising from the ashes' looked pretty damn cool.

I don't think Lana will be around for long though. Either she dies soon, partly because of her new powers (possibly next week from the looks of the previews), or they go with the Lana clone story that looked like it would happen last season, since Project Ares was brought up again.