TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

SummerSlam 1999

Non-spoiler match listing for those that care about that sort of thing.

D'Lo Brown vs. Jeff Jarrett for the European and Intercontinental Championships

Tag Team Turmoil

Al Snow vs. The Big Bossman for the Hardcore Championship

Tori vs. Ivory for the Women's Championship

Steve Blackman vs. Ken Shamrock in a Lion's Den Match w/weapons

Shane McMahon vs. Test in a Street Fight

The Undertaker and Big Show vs. X-Pac and Kane for the Tag Team Championships

The Rock vs. Billy Gunn in a Kiss My Ass Match

HHH vs. Mankind vs. Steve Austin w/Jesse Ventura as the special referee for the WWF Championship

I'll get around to watching it in a few days. All these Olympic events are taking up my time right now.

I have a feeling this is one of those ultra Attitude Era PPVs that won't hold up at all today. The main event was rendered useless by the next night's Raw where HHH won the title for the first time. Shane/Test was fun at the time but obviously never got Test to the next level. UT/Show went nowhere as a team since UT got hurt soon after (returning as the Biker). Shamrock quit the company soon after this PPV. Jarrett went to WCW not long after this as well, maybe 2 months. And Billy Gunn's lame push ended right after this as The Rock dispatched him and sent him back to the tag ranks.

So really, this show has a very disposable legacy. I do recall thinking the Kiss My Ass match was a guilty pleasure though.

Yeah this is definitely a show that's worsened over the years.

'99 WWF is like that in general. A lot of it was fun to watch at the time but it doesn't really hold up at all to repeat viewings. It's weird, I can't think of any other era of wrestling like it really.

Still Shane/Test and the main event are both decent matches. Sadly, this is probably the best WWF PPV of '99. A lot of people harp on how bad WCW PPVs were at the time and they most certainly were but when you stop and think about it, the WWF ones weren't all that much better. WCW's lows were certainly lower but IMHO there was one genuinely great PPV that year and it was a WCW show.

IMO, the main event is fucking awesome. I love seeing Mankind sneak-in the win just when you think HHH is about to win. It kind of came out of nowhere too, since the crowd wasn't even counting along with the pin, like they knew Austin would kick out. You had to figure HHH would win the title the next night, or very soon afterwards due to him destroying Austin after the pinfall.

I enjoyed the team of Big Show and Undertaker at the time, if only for their entrance music. It just went to the crapper when Undertaker cut some incoherent promo about leaving Big Show stranded in a desert and making him walk back to civilization carrying a motorcycle on his back.

Shane vs Test was awesome, but led to nothing of importance.

The Rock and Billy Gunn put up an admirable effort.

About Taker/Big Show, they did have a few funny moments. When they were doing commentary, Lawler asked Show if he were afraid that Taker would stab him in the back. Taker said "King, if you ask one more stupid question, I"m going to stab you right in the face!"

Another funny time was when GTV caught Big Show and Val Venis at the urinals. Venis looked over, laughed, and said "And they call you the Big Show." Show proceeded to throw him into the bathroom stall really hard. Later in the show, Venis came out and challenged show. Cue to the locker room where...

Taker: "You going to pick that up?"

Show: "Pick what up?"

Taker: "That punk card Val Venis just left you."

Show: "Ah, man!"

They had their moments.

I quite liked the UT and Big Show stuff. I liked that UT toned down the crazy satanist stuff during that angle and instead seemed more like an evil football coach putting Show through the grind. Shame he got hurt in Sept. 1999.

A majority of wrestling PPVs in 1999 were awful. I think SummerSlam was one of the decent ones.

Yeah this is definitely a show that's worsened over the years.

'99 WWF is like that in general. A lot of it was fun to watch at the time but it doesn't really hold up at all to repeat viewings. It's weird, I can't think of any other era of wrestling like it really.

Still Shane/Test and the main event are both decent matches. Sadly, this is probably the best WWF PPV of '99. A lot of people harp on how bad WCW PPVs were at the time and they most certainly were but when you stop and think about it, the WWF ones weren't all that much better. WCW's lows were certainly lower but IMHO there was one genuinely great PPV that year and it was a WCW show.

Yeah, I agree. Though, even though it gets bad reviews, I always enjoyed Royal Rumble 1999.

A majority of wrestling PPVs in 1999 were awful. I think SummerSlam was one of the decent ones.

I would say Spring Stampede '99 still holds up as one of the best all-around pay-per-views in somewhat recent years.

Spring Stampede 99 is the exception that proves the rule with WCW in 1999. It's the one shockingly great show they did that entire year. In fact almost immediately after that PPV the wheels totally came off and it was nothing but Flair in the asylum, then the Hummer angle, etc.

I think the one thing that kept Spring Stampede from being a truly great PPV was the fact they never really went everywhere after it. It was kind of like a precursor to TNA PPVs in a way- a lot of good wrestling but you knew it wouldn't really matter in the long run because they wouldn't build off of it.

Still Ill stand by my statement that WCW had more good PPVs in '99 than WWF.

I think the one thing that kept Spring Stampede from being a truly great PPV was the fact they never really went everywhere after it. It was kind of like a precursor to TNA PPVs in a way- a lot of good wrestling but you knew it wouldn't really matter in the long run because they wouldn't build off of it.

That's kind of damning with faint praise.

That's kind of damning with faint praise.

True but it is technically correct.

At the same time, there were more WWF PPVs that year that weren't terrible than WCW. :D

Let's see now....the Rumble in 1999 was a very up and down show. Foley/Rock was a vicious, sick brawl with all the chairshots, undercard was mediocre, Rumble itself is a Russo Special. It is a lesser Rumble PPV, but I'd probably take it over Souled Out 99. The St. Valentine's Day Massacre I recall being a pretty fun show with the riotous Austin/Vince main event. WM XV sucked ass, I won't argue that one. Backlash 99 was a really good show, maybe not as good as Spring Stampede though.

Some of the shows I am drawing a blank on though. Armageddon is amusing stuff and has The Kat showing her tits.

Even with Spring Stampede 99 if you look at the big picture WCW was left with after that show they had DDP with the belt and now as a heel for no real good reason, they had Hogan injured, Goldberg and Sting doing jack shit, etc. It's a lot of good undercard wrestling with guys who got buried right after.

St. Valentine's Day Massacre was a good, fun card. You had the long-awaited match between Austin and McMahon. It was in a cage and played out like it should. Austin kicking the **** out of Vince. You had Vince taking a monster bump and the Big Show debuting. Rock/Mankind was a great addition into their tremendous series of matches. Even Holly/Snow was a pretty good hardcore title match.

WMXV was a nightmare of bad Russo booking. Only things of note were the title match and HHH's heel turn. I remember Backlash being quite good.

I remember always enjoying the Kane/X-Pac tag team, I thought they had a good big guy little guy dynamic going on. In fact i'd go as far to say it was the when X-Pac turned on Kane that really started the rot and led to the infamous "X-Pac" heat, up to that point he was still fairly over.

I'm trying to think of some really crappy WWF PPVs from 1999. WM was a pretty mediocre show. Over the Edge is of course the Owen death PPV so I don't even want to rate that one at all either way. KOTR 99 is a pretty mediocre show. The July PPV I can't even remember to be honest. Unforgiven I recall having some decent stuff on it. No Mercy had a fun card if I recall it correctly. Survivor Series I don't remember being all that good. And Armageddon had of course the fun Vince/HHH match with Steph's turn, as well as the Kat showing tits.

Let me rate the WWF PPVs of '99

Royal Rumble '99: One of those PPVs that was kind of fun watching it live but really doesn't hold up well at all to repeat viewings. That kind of describes most of the latter part of Russo's run in WWF for me. The I Quit match is of course pretty damn good and X-Pac/Gangrel is a fun undercard match. The Royal Rumble is totally a clusterfuck and one of the worst of all time but I still maintain even a bad Rumble is somewhat entertaining. Can't remember anything else on the card.

St. Valentine's Day Massacre: Again like Royal Rumble '99, was fun to watch at the time but now? Not so much. Another good World title match, a fun Hardcore title match, and Austin beating the shit out of Vince is almost always fun but everything else kind of sucks.

WrestleMania XV: When one of the best match of the night is between the promoter's son and X-Pac, you know it's got to be a shitty card. Besides the main event and the aforementioned X-Pac/Shane match, everything else is the drizzling shits.

Backlash: Haven't seen this one in years. I remember it being an enjoyable enough card. Rock/Austin II was definitely better than the first one and I remember Triple H/X-Pac being good and Undertaker/Shamrock was kind of interesting. Not sure if it would hold up if I saw it again but just looking the card on paper, I think it's a safe bet that it's better than any of the first three PPVs that year.

Over The Edge: Haven't seen it, probably never will.

King of The Ring '99: Cabbageboy to call this a very mediocre show is being extremely charitable. I'd say it's easily one of the ten worst WWE/F PPVs of all time. The tournament is completely rushed and is second only to '95 in terms of sucktitude. The Rock/Undertaker is extremely boring, Edge and Christian/The Hardy Boyz is too short to make much of a mark and is really only notable for being The Hardys first PPV match and an early encounter between the two teams. The MOTN by default is McMahons/Austin. Terrible, terrible PPV.

Fully Loaded '99: Don't think I've seen this one.

SummerSlam '99: Good main event, fun Shane/Test match, and not much else worth mentioning.

Unforgiven '99: Weird show with the whole referees on strike angle. Don't remember much else besides that. The Six Pack match was unique and kind of fun at the time.

No Mercy '99: Another show I've only seen once a long, long time ago. I remember it being an enjoyable enough show. Edge and Christian/Hardys was a nice foreshadow of things to come.

Survivor Series '99: Really lame PPV. Not egregiously bad as KOTR '99 just a boring ass show.

Armageddon '99: I don't really like this one. Doesn't have much going for it really besides The Kat flashing. Vince Vs Triple H was just absurdly long.

I'm trying to think of some really crappy WWF PPVs from 1999. WM was a pretty mediocre show. Over the Edge is of course the Owen death PPV so I don't even want to rate that one at all either way. KOTR 99 is a pretty mediocre show. The July PPV I can't even remember to be honest. Unforgiven I recall having some decent stuff on it. No Mercy had a fun card if I recall it correctly. Survivor Series I don't remember being all that good. And Armageddon had of course the fun Vince/HHH match with Steph's turn, as well as the Kat showing tits.

Over the Edge was a crappy card although that might have been due to everyone being rattled over what happened to Owen.

Backlash 99 featured a pretty good Boiler Room Brawl match with Foley and Big Show. A lot of bumps involving glass and Foley leaving bloody handprints into the floor.

Honestly I can't recall anything on that Fully Loaded 99 PPV aside from the Austin/UT final blowoff to the Vince angle. What's sad is that I went to a Raw about a week before the show but yet can't recall much of the undercard. I think Rock and HHH had a decent match on it.

I haven't seen KOTR 99 in forever but I don't recall it being a really heinous, terrible PPV. It was a mediocre show that I haven't had any interest in going back to see, didn't really have anything good on it, but good grief it was from the same month as GAB 99. It can't be as bad as that PPV.

Not as but almost. I'd say both are probably among the ten worst PPVs their respective promotions produced.

Wouldn't that be a doozy of a thread...trying to come up with the ten worst WCW PPVs of all time. Not sure where I'd begin...

Wrestlemania XV will always hold a special place in my heart as in one match I got to watch fellow Alabamian "Butterbean" beat the holy hell out of Bart Gunn AND see Gorilla Monsoon get a great ovation from the crowd in his last appearance.

Not as but almost. I'd say both are probably among the ten worst PPVs their respective promotions produced.

Wouldn't that be a doozy of a thread...trying to come up with the ten worst WCW PPVs of all time. Not sure where I'd begin...

Bash '91. Then you start struggling. Though given enough inspired Russo booking, they might make a run at things.

Oddly enough from what I've seen from GAB 91 I didn't think it was the worst PPV ever or anything. It seems boring more than anything. I wonder, without the Flair being fired aspect wouldn't that PPV simply be a forgettable show rather than a disaster?

Here's the worst WCW dreck I have seen, not including GAB 91 (which I haven't seen all the way through):

1. Fall Braw 1998. My parents fell asleep, my brother fell asleep, my friends who came over both feell asleep. I was a trooper though...I watched it all.

2. Bash at the Beach 1999. My friend Ian came over again for this one and flat out left during the junkyard brawl. Awful, awful show.

3. Great American Bash 1999. The companion piece to the previous.

4. Halloween Havoc 2000. WCW actually wasn't too bad during that late 2000 period but man this show was a disaster. Awful, awful crap and showed Russo had lost his mind.

5. SuperBrawl 1995. You don't hear much about this show sucking, but it REALLY sucks. Aside from a competent Vader/Hogan main event (no decision of course) this show has no redeeming value.

6. SuperBrawl 2000. I had to get some Sullivan era trash on this list, and I haven't actually seen the more famed Souled Out 2000 fiasco.

7. Uncensored 2000. I had to put this on here on moral principles. It's not quite as bad as some suggest. It still sucks of course.

8. Fall Brawl 1999. WCW was totally falling apart at this point. It isn't notable enough to be higher on this list.

9. Halloween Havoc 1998. A controversial choice since the main event was actually good and Jericho vs. Raven was solid. But then you have Hogan/Warrior, a plethora of talky crap, Nitro Girls, the show went off the air before it ended, etc. Shows like this pissed fans off.

10. Starrcade 1999. The Russo regime was tanking by this point, at least the first Russo regime. I think Benoit and Jarrett had a decent match but otherwise this show blows and has a rehash of Montreal in the main event to boot.

Interesting that all but one is from '98 to '00. Shows how miserable the death of WCW was for the most part. Your list looks pretty good (or should I say pretty bad given what we're listing). The only thing I disagree with is Halloween Havoc '98. You're right that there is a lot of crap and filler on there but I'd say the good stuff outweighs it.

I haven't seen a lot of pre-Hogan WCW unfortunately so I can't really judge the crappy PPVs from that era as I haven't seen most of them. I'd almost definitely have Starrcade '94 and Road Wild '99 on my list. That Bunkhouse Stampede PPV would definitely be high up there too if we're counting JCP stuff. Probably in The Bottom 3. I bought a bootleg tape of that PPV at an indy show and man is it excrutiating. Why did they have a PPV with only four matches? Nobody wanted to see Ric Flair Vs Road Warrior Hawk and Nikita Koloff Vs Bobby Eaton both go a half hour!And the Steel Cage Bunkhouse Stampede is an absolutely terrible concept that was executed terribly. And the quarter-filled Nassau Coliseum (an arena that isn't always hot when it's sold out) sure didn't help this show's dreary as hell atmosphere.

Wrestlemania XV will always hold a special place in my heart as in one match I got to watch fellow Alabamian "Butterbean" beat the holy hell out of Bart Gunn AND see Gorilla Monsoon get a great ovation from the crowd in his last appearance.

Gorilla getting a standing ovation was one of my favorite Wrestlemania moments. That's an example of the fans really coming through and showing appreciation to Gorilla for all that he did for the business.