TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Styles

TSM Fantasy Baseball 2007

The MLB offseason is just winding down, and although we're still 3 months away from the start of the new season, I wanted to leave plenty of time for us to draft our new teams, which because we're playing with Keepers could take a while, as it would require everyone posting their draft picks when its their turn in the thread since various people are going to be skipping various rounds.

Anyway, the first order of business is we have TWO spots open in this year's league. Wart has withdrawn and I never heard back from jWeeper. The two new managers will be allowed to conduct their own Keeper draft so to speak for 4 rounds before the rest of us do the "regular" draft. This will include all the players from Wart and jWeeper's teams.

If you are interested in joining the league, I will make it as simple as possible. First 2 to respond expressing interest will get the spots. There are 20 teams. We play weekly stats, head to head. You get 4 keeper picks at the end of the season. Here's the rule we adopted:

A*4 Keepers of any position will be chosen by each team at the end of the season.

B*Teams must choose no less than 4 Keepers.

C*Teams will lose a draft pick in the forthcoming draft corresponding to the round each of their keepers were previously drafted in. (for example: Albert Pujols is chosen as a keeper and he was drafted in the 1st round of the previous draft. Team loses first round pick in next draft).

D*If a keeper was undrafted, the team will lose their last round draft pick avaliable. (For example if 3 players chosen as keepers were picked up as free agents, and there are 20 round (I forgot the exact number), team loses their 20th, 19th and 18th round picks.)

E*If a player chosen as a keeper was drafted by another team and aquired via trade or free agency or waivers, the team choosing the keeper will lose the corresponding round pick that the player was drafted. (For example: If Derek Jeter is drafted in the 3rd round by Team A, and then traded to Team B, and Team B chooses Jeter as a keeper, then Team B will forfeit their 3rd round pick).

F*If more than one keeper were drafted in the same round (for example, Team B chooses Derek Jeter (drafted in 3rd round by Team A and traded to Team B) and Ichiro Suziki (drafted by Team B in 3rd round), team will forfeit the next lowest round (so in our example rounds 3 and 4.)

G*If a team wishes to keep a keeper for two or more consecutive seasons, team will still forfeit the round pick in which the keeper was originally drafted in.

H*These rules are subject to review and revision after the season at the discretion of the commisioner.

You can check out last year's thread here for reference: http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/index.php?...p;#entry2129481

Full lists of "taken" players designated as Keepers as well as the draft order for everyone will be posted in due time. For now, I just want to fill up the 2 remaining spots. Also, if you're returning to the league and would like to announce your presence, that would be swell. Since I haven't updated this since October if someone from the league has changed their mind and is dropping out please let me know as well.

OK, both Precious Roy and Jack Bauer have joined the league. If I find out someone else has dropped out before the season, I'll let anybody else waiting know. In the meantime, if there are a lot of people wanting to play, someone can take the initiative and start their own Yahoo league of course.

Now, while I have kept good records in terms of who everyone's keepers are, what round they correspond to and the final standings, the one thing I didn't think to save was last year's draft results for the two departing managers, so instead of my original idea of the two new managers inheriting those draft orders, we have little choice but to do four rounds exclusively with the two new managers and we'll just have to make those their equivalent of rounds 1-4 for the regular draft (i.e. they would skip rounds 1-4 in the regular draft after getting an opportunity to draft their 4 "keepers"). Unless anyone else has a better idea, I think this is the most fair and hopefully won't be a big disadvantage.

With that said, for the regular draft order, I'm thinking the 6 playoff teams will pick last in reverse order, while the other 14 non-playoff teams will be randomized again like last year to determine the draft order. We can continue to go serpentine style as well. Now, we could also just go straight through the standings backwards of course from 20 to 1, but again, with our two new managers, it would seem unfair to arbitrarily assign one a higher draft position then the other. With the former plan, they, along with the other non-playoff teams have equal shot at improving draft order. So basically we're doing NBA lottery style. Again, I'm very open to feedback, anyone have a problem with this?

Let me know what you guys think of this, and if it sounds good, I'll post the list of "taken" keeper players, we'll start the supplemental draft for the new managers and then I'll work out the far too complicated draft orders for the regular draft.

Looks fine

Since we are going to have to the draft here and don't have to worry about fucking up the Yahoo java draft, are we going to be allowed to make predraft trades for keepers/picks as long as we still end up with no more than 4 keepers?

Wow! Thanks for the link. OK, well, now we can have the new teams' supplemental picks correspond to last year's draft results (i.e. they pick someone from the first round, they lose their first round, they choose someone who was not drafted, they lose the last round, etc.). Is this ok with everyone?

Looks fine

Since we are going to have to the draft here and don't have to worry about fucking up the Yahoo java draft, are we going to be allowed to make predraft trades for keepers/picks as long as we still end up with no more than 4 keepers?

Interesting idea. I can put it to a vote.

Wow! Thanks for the link. OK, well, now we can have the new teams' supplemental picks correspond to last year's draft results (i.e. they pick someone from the first round, they lose their first round, they choose someone who was not drafted, they lose the last round, etc.). Is this ok with everyone?

I'll roll with whatever rules the majority of returning players want

But isn't it a little skewed that new teams would lose picks in the "regular" draft for their supplemental picks? So me and Bauer pick, and if we pick someone from the FA pool who was a first round pick last year we lose our first round pick in this year's full draft?

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems like it puts new teams at a distinct disadvantage. Or maybe that's the point?

It is the same rule as the keepers, that's the logic behind it. If I keep my first rounder from last year I lose a first round pick in this draft for him. So if you draft one of the first rounders from a dropped team you would lose the same.

I'm still around, and yeah, cool with whatever.

CHANGING MY KEEPER

Liriano is OUT for the SEASON. I choose now to keep Matt Holliday (rnd 7) instead.

I don't know about this one. I totally understand it but I don't want to be accused of bending the rules. Should we put it up to a vote?