TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

TSM Death Pool -- 2009

It's mid-December, which can only mean it's time for the fifth annual TSM Death Pool. And, more than likely, my third consecutive shutout.

Here are the rules:

Pick any 20 celebrities who you think will die between January 1, 2009 and December 31, 2009. I will be the sole arbiter on who is a celebrity and who isn't. The main rule -- if a major news organization reports on someone's death, that person is generally considered a celebrity, although there may be exceptions. Last year, there were a number of complaints over whether people were or were not celebrities, so I may be a lot more likely to question you on someone. Keep in mind, though, that just because you don't recognize someone does't mean they're not famous enough.

Eligibility rules: Anyone picked must be at least 18 years of age as of December 31, 2008. Anyone executed by the state will receive zero points.

Scoring

Each dead celebrity is worth a base of 10 points. Additional points will be allocated as follows, according to age at the time of death:

18-34: 90 points

35-49: 50 points

50-59: 40 points

60-69: 20 points

70-79: 10 points

80-99: 0 points

100+: -5 points

Bonus points

25 points will be awarded for any of the following:

- If a person on your list dies during the month of December.

- If a person on your list dies of unnatural causes (suicide, murder or accident), other than through a state execution.

Note: There are no bonus points this year for having someone on your list but no one else's. We frown upon originality!

The BEST BET

You may select any TWO of your celebrities as a BEST BET. If your BEST BET dies during the year, ALL points for that person are DOUBLED.

Whoever has the most points at the end of the year will be the winner. In case of a tie, whoever had the most people on their list die will win. In case of a further tie, whoever has the lowest total age of all dead people on their list will win.

Deadline for submissions is December 31, 2008. No exceptions. Once you post your list, it is final, except if someone on your list dies before January 1, 2009, in which case you may post a replacement no later than 11:59 pm on December 31, 2008.

One more change: Anyone found guilty of murdering someone on their list will win the pool automatically. If there is more than one case of this, whoever is convicted first will be the winner.

Good luck to everyone!

I think if it's big news for a news outlet, it should be allowed. But if it's one of those after-thoughts as they're rolling credits, it shouldn't count. Marvin made a killing on "Oldest living _____" nonsense, which kind of ruined the fun. CNN or NBC aren't leading with that.

Guest Smues

I'm fine with keeping what qualifies as a celebrity the same as last year. Marvin out smarted us all, bitching and changing the rules doesn't change that. Besides, now he can't wait to make sure he has names not on anyone elses list for extra points. I'm tempted to just play my same list from 2008 every year until one of them finally croaks.

Yeah, I'm kind of hoping the elimination of the uniqueness bonus will put an end to most of the bitching. I don't like vetoing names on people's lists because it takes a lot of the fun out of it for them.

Best Bets

Michael J. Fox*

Muhammad Ali*

Fingers Crossed/New Murder Stip In Effect

Al Davis

Gary Bettman

Osama bin Laden*

Fred Phelps

Joseph Kony**

Old Golfers

Jackie Burke*

Hootie Johnson*

Errie Ball***

Miller Barber

Playin' The Odds

Lex Luger*

Jim Niedhart*

Jake Roberts*

Vader

Clock's Tickin

Kirk Douglas*

Abe Vigoda*

Joe Clark*

David Suzuki*

Keith Richards*

* Returnees. Only 13, down from 17 last year (though one, Paul Newman, died)

** Not a household name, but head of the Lord's Resistance Army, which is. Your call, CC.

*** Oldest surviving participant of the first Masters Tournament. Not quite 'famous for being old', but close. Your call again, CC.

My bounty on the Kostitsyn women still stands at $1000. If nothing is done by the playoffs, I'm going to take matters into my own hands.

My bounty on the Kostitsyn women still stands at $1000. If nothing is done by the playoffs, I'm going to take matters into my own hands.

At their rate of play, both of them will be gone from the team and Mnotreal wont make the playoffs.

At their rate of play, both of them will be gone from the team and Mnotreal wont make the playoffs.

Okay, let's not get too carried away.

So is the last person alive from the Titanic qualified as a celebrity?

Go ahead. Although:

80-99: 0 points

100+: -5 points

I'm not sure why you'd want to. That didn't stop CanadianGuitarist from picking guys in that point range, though!

Seve Ballesteros BEST BET

Perry Saturn BEST BET

Manute Bol

Jake Roberts

Bobby Heenan

Gheorghe Muresan

Peter Mayhew

Kenny Baker

John Goodman

Muhammad Ali

Harley Race

Stephen Hawking

Michael J. Fox

Roger Ebert

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

Montell Williams

Jerry Van Dyke

Rodney Rogers

Charles Manson

Marc Buoniconti

Might as well keep the exact same list as there's no chance they all survive a second straight year.

1. Amy Winehouse BEST BET

2. Bobby Heenan

3. Keith Richards

4. Donald Trump

5. Rosie O'Donnell

6. Britney Spears

7. Kevin Von Erich

8. Carol Channing

9. Fidel Castro

10. Jake Roberts (BEST BET)

11. Cloris Leachman

12. Hulk Hogan

13. Barbara Walters

14. Walter Cronkite

15. Vince McMahon

16. Christopher Walken

17. Kirk Douglas

18. Stephen Hawking

19. Barry Bonds

20. Bill Gates

Perry Saturn BEST BET

I was considering Saturn, as he is AWOL, but chances are that if the circumstances surrounding his disappearance are cause for his demise, then you won't be getting any points for the 2009 contest.

Or is it just a Radicalz thing?

Im still busy narrowing down my list. Two best bets is actually good news because Ive had about 5 in mind for my best bet and now I get to have two of them.

I cant wait to make a banner - 2008 TSM Death Pool and 2008 TSM Fantasy Football Champion!

I was thinking it was when he'd be discovered, even if he died in '08. Not sure why I was thinking that, especially after cracking on CanGuit for picking guys that would not get him any points.

Too late to do anything about it now.