TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dangerous A

TheSmartMarks Wrestling Radio Show!

http://radio.thesmartmarks.com/

Hey fellow TSM'ers,

Recently I have had an interest in radio broadcasting. With the explosion of podcasting technology, I have found it to be easy to get my voice out to the world. One of the things I enjoy talking about is pro wrestling. Even in the current state it's in right now, I love talking about it with my friends and interacting over instant messengers and in particular, the TSM forums.

Well, I came up with the idea to do a podcast using the TSM forums as sort of a base to work from. The audience I'm aiming for now are smart about wrestling, so what better way to get my voice heard than by people on the biggest message board I know of that deals with pro wrestling. I plan on using my screen name, Dangerous A, and if I refer to a poster or a post from a poster, I will use their screen name as well.

I plan on doing about a show a week covering mostly WWE, TNA, and other stories related to wrestling if they are major news. If this takes off and/or I start getting a better grasp on the tech side of doing this, then I may do more podcasts. The first one I did went 53 minutes. (and I was surprised by that since I thought I'd go about 30) It's also a dated as I recorded it on 7/30/05 in one take.

What I'd like from you guys is feedback. Anything from what I'm doing right or wrong, things to improve format or content, etc. Right now, one of the admin's and I are working to get things done so I can actually have other people on the show to do interviews with and/or guest host with me. I want to do the best show I can. I do have restrictions such as I can't use music or movie clips unless I pay a royalty, so basically, it's just me giving my takes on things. For the next show, I plan on implementing some original music my wife's cousin composed. This is a work in progress, so don't think the show is going to be the same from the first one. All I ask is for people to sample the show and give me some feedback.

I want to see if this is something I'd enjoy doing with my life and I think this is a step in the right direction. I can also see this taking TSM to another level in regards to exposure and such. Perhaps this will open up more TSM topic shows.(imagine bob barron and I talking ROH and/or movies, or RRR, Mole, and whoever talking TV, Whedon, and movies) I think the sky's the limit to what we can do here with this idea and technology.

You can access it here...

http://radio.thesmartmarks.com/

Thank you,

Dangerous A

PS, a thank you to admin-Mike for making this all possible.

I'm downloading it as we speak so I can give it a listen. This was actually something that I wanted to do when I had my own radio show back in college, but I wasn't in charge of the format. I'd love to be a guest!

Dames

If I may offer one suggestion, try to think out what you're going to say beforehand. This would both cut down on the length of the show and the amount of "uh".

Other than that, it's great. I like it.

Alright, I just finished watching the show.

It would help if you had a set outline as to what you were going to talk about to cut down on your tangents, but I think you did a REALLY good job flying solo for your first ever broadcast.

I will gladly take you up on the offer to be interviewed, I think it would be a great back and forth conversation, but I wouldn't want the focus to be on me much at all, more along the lines of discussing the weeks news and stuff like that. Just say the word and I'll help in any way that I can for you there.

Just curious, how long did it take for you to get everything done, since it seems you were discussing wrestling from 2 weeks ago.

DA, you're off to a great start.

Dames

On one hand I would like to lend my voice to this project. Afterall, look at what I was once called

"Formerly of 411, Stephen's "Shades of Gray" column is one of the most entertaining reads on the web. He doesn't hold back as he voices his opinion on the current state of wrestling"

For the life of me I have no idea who (well, I kinda do) came to that conclusion or why, but I love reading it.

On the other hand, I have nothing to say.

Alright, I just finished watching the show. 

It would help if you had a set outline as to what you were going to talk about to cut down on your tangents, but I think you did a REALLY good job flying solo for your first ever broadcast. 

I will gladly take you up on the offer to be interviewed, I think it would be a great back and forth conversation, but I wouldn't want the focus to be on me much at all, more along the lines of discussing the weeks news and stuff like that.  Just say the word and I'll help in any way that I can for you there.

Just curious, how long did it take for you to get everything done, since it seems you were discussing wrestling from 2 weeks ago. 

DA, you're off to a great start. 

Dames

Actually, I did have a loose outline in front of me with some bullet points. Then I would chime in on said bullet points. This will not be the way I do shows in the future, but I just wanted to get the first show out of my system to see if I could do it.

Dames, I recorded that show on 7/30 in one take. I gave the show to admin-mike that day and he kind of played around with the size of the show and such. He still hadn't set up what is up now, so it took awhile. I didn't want to haggle him because he has his own life and figured he'd get the best thing done that he could. He set a lot of it up because I suck at tech stuff. I am probrably going to need his help one or two more times loading the show again and hopefully, the turn around time will be quicker since news in wrestling travels pretty fast.

Is it worth the trouble to use public domain music, or is researching whether it IS public domain going to be a hassle either way?

i.e. Hardy Boys, Booker, etc.?

EDIT: That's cool, Mike. I'll stream it later tonight since my 56K is acting wonky (only seven more days to tolerate this)...

Just an heads up, you don't have to download it, if you click the green play button on the right, it streams it real time, so you can start listening within seconds. :)

Is it worth the trouble to use public domain music, or is researching whether it IS public domain going to be a hassle either way?

i.e. Hardy Boys, Booker, etc.?

EDIT: That's cool, Mike. I'll stream it later tonight since my 56K is acting wonky (only seven more days to tolerate this)...

The Hardy Boys' theme is public domain? What's the title(the real one) and where can I get a good copy of it?

If someone can find out what we can and can't place up there. I can place whatever MP3 files I can come accross, theme songs for wrestlers, etc. We could also possibly include them into the show as background noise. I know Mozart, betoveen, and a few other songs which are royalty free. :)

I know it's not wrestling, but VGmix is great as far as background music/intro/exit music for various things. Also, you can always APPEAL TO THE MASSES and see if anyone on the board, or anywhere else, knows enough about mixing and music in general that they can put something together.

Actually I have Sony Acid 5 and have made some things in that. Those are royalty free and we could use those whenever and wherever and copyright them for ourselves.

Great job for a first effort. Just make sure you speak directly into the microphone at all times, but it's easy to forget when your doing it for nearly an hour. Also, try to make the broadcast more structured, but I know that will come with time. I enjoyed listening and hope this develops into a weekly thing!

I have CEP2 and am all up for editting if it needs to be done and can't be done with typical means (whatever those may be).

20 minutes in... very good for a first try with no real breaks. "Uhs" and things happen, though sometimes it more seems like he's riding the mic and other times pulling away. Again, if you put yourself in front of it more often you will gain an involuntary volume and distance for the microphone to make everything come out as good as possible.

Dangerous_A, it streamed AND downloaded for me, the stream just took a bit to start up for some reason.

I think you did a good job on it, and you know that next time you come into Sacramento(Next Weekend) you are doing the podcast from my computer, and I am going to be your guest......LOL.....NOT KIDDING HERE.

Oh and Tom, for some advice on not pulling away from the Mic, as others have said you do a bit, a good thing to do is find a good sturdy place on your computer desk that you can just mount the mic on, and play with the mic settings so you can be in a comfortable position without having to hold the mic up to your mouth(if that is even what you were doing anyway)

This broadcast is hilarious when certain names said out loud.

"This kid carried himself well..." haha.

Dangerous A, I worked for 1360 AM's "Wrestle This Radio!" a while back during the boom period, if ya need any help, or questions about communications or such, drop me a line.

This has potential for fun.

Dangerous A...

Micah. Mayer. Live call-ins. Make it happen.

I downloaded it but it told me: "Invalid or corrupt data was encountered" when I went to play it. :(

As regards the name DA, I think it should play up on the line under your avatar. That is to say the bell or ringing or something like that.

I had that same problem when it was trying to open in Windows Media Player, should work fine if you open the file in Real Player.

Really enjoyed the show once it got going, looking forward to hearing the subsequent editions of the show DA.

Guest Fook

Aside from the previously mentioned "uhs" and the pulling away from the mike, this was very good. Once you got past the whole introduction faze (in which I felt you did start to ramble and repeat yourself a bit too much) and started into the wrestling topics, you developed a nice steady groove that made the show seem shorter than it actually was.

Good job.

Guest Coffey

This is really cool. I hope that it takes off. I'd like to be involved in some way, even if it's just you addressing a quote or something that I've made on the forums.

A lot of the users screen names sound really corny when having to address them with their handle during the show. Especially names like "Hunter's Torn Quad" when you have to address them as people. I think it takes away a lot of the validity of the broadcast. You'd have to call them by their real name or an abbreviation or something. "Yeah, I was wanting to talk to HTQ, Hunter's Torn Quad" it just sounds silly.

EDIT: Great point about the Battle of the Bands by the way. With the association of Cena with rap, etc.

Sign in to follow this