TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Mirer expected to start for Raiders

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP)

Oakland Raiders quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo is doubtful for next Sunday's game against the New York Jets with a torn knee ligament.

Tuiasosopo underwent an MRI exam on his injured left knee Monday. Results from the test weren't immediately available, but coach Bill Callahan said Tuiasosopo has a partially torn medial collateral ligament.

"It does not look good this week," Callahan said of Tuiasosopo. "Marques and Rich Gannon are doubtful. It looks like Rick Mirer will be the starting quarterback."

Tuiasosopo, a third-year pro, made his first NFL start in place of injured 2002 MVP Gannon in Sunday's 23-13 loss at Detroit, but didn't last long. On Oakland's third offensive series, he bobbled a snap, then ran up the middle and fumbled on a hard hit by Boss Bailey. Tuiasosopo stayed in the game for two more possessions before being sidelined.

Tuiasosopo could be placed on injured reserve. Callahan said the Raiders are considering elevating quarterback Tee Martin from the practice squad, and the team also is planning to bring in quarterbacks for workouts.

Ronald Curry would be the No. 3 quarterback this week behind Martin if Tuiasosopo can't play.

"We're in big trouble, man," left guard Frank Middleton said. "Our No. 1 quarterback is out. Tui's hurt. Rick Mirer is the last one standing. What happens when he goes down? The way we're going, we need five quarterbacks."

The 33-year-old Mirer made his first appearance since playing one game for San Francisco three years ago. He went 15-for-28 for 125 yards with two interceptions.

Callahan will stay with a basic offense for Mirer this week.

"We won't get crazy or anything," Callahan said. "We will keep it, by and large, simple for him."

The 37-year-old Gannon has a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. He was injured in the Raiders' 17-10 loss to Kansas City on Oct. 20 and hasn't thrown since. He was knocked out of the game in the first half following two sacks by linebacker Shawn Barber and several other hits.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is great. I love watching the Raiders/Al Davis/Raider Nation suffer. It's almost as good as someone falling on Shaq's knee.....

This is great. I love watching the Raiders/Al Davis/Raider Nation suffer. .....

I agree.

While I don't want to see anyone injured, it's always great to see the Raiders, Al Davis and Raider Nation not having anything to cheer about.

Guest Redhawk

The Raiders just signed Rob Johnson today. I wonder if they're going to try and plug him in there quickly, or let Mirer start this week. As a Seattle native, I kinda missed the adventure that is a Rick Mirer Game.

Guest BobbyWhioux
What? Jeff George was too busy fly fishing this week?

Yeah.

And he took Ryan Leaf with him.