TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest dlb19338

"The Natural" Butch Reed - new WWF I-C champ?

Guest dlb19338

I heard a rumor that "The Natural" Butch Reed was being groomed to unseat Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat in 1987 as the WWF Intercontinental Champion, but on the night of the title change taping the Natural didn't show (then the strap was given to Honky Tonk Man). Anybody know why Reed no-showed????

Never heard that. Maybe he was at the beauty salon. Can't believe Honky would have just gotten the belt instead, they'd have just had Steamboat beat him and retain. I was watching a MidSouth tape just over the weekend, great stuff by "Hacksaw Butch Reed" and he did well in WCW in Doom. Wasted in WWF but maybe he was at fault too if your info is right. He's still competing, last I heard.

I don't even remember Reed being a contender. Maybe something could have been built to him taking it. Remember at that time the IC belt actually meant something, Steamboat or whoever the champ was meant #2 in the company, not in the teens like the current IC champ.

Guest Arnold_OldSchool

Was the Reed/Santana feud still going in June? maybe they planned on having Tito regain it?

I think Butch Reed beat Koko B Ware at the WM that year, no way to prep for an IC run-again considering how important the title was back then. Honky was great in that role, the fans were legit pissed when he would get out of the ring with the belt, somehow, someway, and not just because that's not how they'd have booked it. Reed was an asskicking type but they killed his credibility with the blonde hair.

That's an urban myth, Reed was never supposed to get a shot at Steamboat on the night of the title change, it was always supposed to be Honky.

What he said.

Honky (and/or Hulk Hogan) have told the story of the Butch Reed no-show, with the story being Hulk suggested Honky to Vince on the spot. However, the plan was always to give Honky the belt and the Butch story was totally made up. Someone else may be able to fill in the details I can't remember (Hunter's Torn Quad?).

Guest DRH 502

I heard that the Ultimate Warrior died because those things he wore on his arms cut off the circulation and it caused his brain to explode. Is that true? I also heard that Texas Tornado replaced him for a bit, then that guy that played Renegade played him, but when he went to WCW WWE owned the Warrior trademark so he had to change his name and it ruined him. So he killed himself. Now someone else plays him. Is this true?

I don't think DLB should be mocked, it was a realistic situation and I could have seen something like that happening-not just at that time and with Butch Reed's lack of buildup.

I heard that the Ultimate Warrior died because those things he wore on his arms cut off the circulation and it caused his brain to explode. Is that true? I also heard that Texas Tornado replaced him for a bit, then that guy that played Renegade played him, but when he went to WCW WWE owned the Warrior trademark so he had to change his name and it ruined him. So he killed himself. Now someone else plays him. Is this true?

this is true.

That's an urban myth, Reed was never supposed to get a shot at Steamboat on the night of the title change, it was always supposed to be Honky.

What he said.

Honky (and/or Hulk Hogan) have told the story of the Butch Reed no-show, with the story being Hulk suggested Honky to Vince on the spot. However, the plan was always to give Honky the belt and the Butch story was totally made up. Someone else may be able to fill in the details I can't remember (Hunter's Torn Quad?).

Right after you said "Honkey Have told the story" I knew that odds are, Honky's story is bs. So does anyone actually know why Reed no-showed?