Downhome

Harry Smith signs with WWE

Harry Smith vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Harry Smith vs. TJ Wilson Music Video

AWA: WA 2/25 Highlights

harrysmith1it.jpg

harrysmith24xn.jpg

From PWInisder:

As reported last Monday in the PWInsider.com Elite section, World Wrestling Entertainment came to terms with second generation star Harry Smith last week while Smith was in town for the Wrestlemania 22 weekend WWE Hall of Fame induction of Uncle Bret Hart. Smith is the son of Davey Boy Smith and Diana Hart and has been training as a professional wrestler, literally, since he was a young teenager.

Billed as standing at 6' 5", 220 lbs., Smith has worked for New Japan Pro Wrestling and the now-defunct Major League Wrestling, among other companies, in the past. He is expected to come into the company in May once he has finished independent and European commitments. There is talk he may be linked with Chris Benoit as Benoit's protege.

Smith, the grandson of the legendary Stu Hart, would be the first third generation Hart family member to be signed by WWE.

Now all they need to do is sign Teddy Hart and Nattie Neidhart and bring Bret Hart in as a manager and we have a new Hart Foundation. ;)

Here he is with TJ Wilson and Nattie Neidhart as The Stampede Bulldogs:

stampedebulldogs7tu.jpg

Teddy Hart, Harry Smith, Nattie Neidhart & TJ Wilson were all at the HoF ceremony for Bret Hart.

Here's a quick thought - who would would love to see Benoit join up with Harry Smith and Brent Albright on Smackdown? We all saw what happened on this past SD, and with that little note about there is talk he may be linked with Chris Benoit as Benoit's protege, it could happen.

I'd rather see Albright in the "Benoit protege" spot.

I worry for what WWE will do with a member of the Hart family.

Benoit can take Albright under his wing (who looks like Benoit with Burchill's head attached), then bring in Harry Smith later this Summer as his second protege. I like that idea a lot too.

That's an amazing family tree, whichever way you look at it. Whether he can live up to peoples expectations. however, only time will tell. I have a feeling he will.

WWE must really have faith in Harry because he'll skip the normal route of coming up through Deep south or OVW. Even guys that have previous training experience usually have to go through that process.

Chris Benoit & Harry Smith: British Bulldogs 2.0...or maybe the Commonwealth Bulldogs at least.

I hope Harry Smith doesn't get squashed on his first TV appearance like Ray Gordy did against the Boogeyman. I'm guessing he'll get a good push, since Vince seems to like 2nd and 3rd generation guys (Orton, etc).

There's no excuse to not bring Jack Evans in as Hart Foundation 2.0 or Bulldogs 2.0.

A Benoit led group of Albright, Smith and Evans would be awesome.

The only problem is, I don't know how well Benoit could play the mentor/leader role on TV. He comes off more as a loner type than anything. Maybe they could do an angle where he gets more and more tough on his "trainees", slapping them around if they lose matches, etc. Finally he snaps and puts one of them in the crossface after they lose a title shot, turning heel against them. Problem is, the crowd might cheer him if he did something like that.

Benoit, playing Stu Hart to these guys(Albright, Evans and Smith) would be great. People respect Benoit and buy him as a legit badass. Benoit would be excellent in the teacher/enforcer role.

I'm guessing they could do a team Angle deal, where the tag team eventually turn on him to go for glory.

Plus Benoit is supposed to be transitioned into an agent/trainer role when he feels his time in the ring is up. So it's very believable for him to be portrayed as a trainer/mentor on-screen at this stage of his career. Oddly, I WOULD cheer him if he did what Invader3k said he might do.

Hell, if they push Harry at least that's one rookie push I'd like to see. Davey Boy was always one of my favorite wrestlers and I would have liked to have seen him get that elusive world title.

Unlike Orton, at least Harry's dad actually was a legit HOF level guy, not just some toady for Race, Piper, Adonis.

I'm glad to hear he got signed though. Would you believe my dad has been asking me about Harry Smith ever since they did the Confidential piece when Bulldog died?

Guest Brian

Well, they're going to have him juice like crazy to get to his dad's size.

Awesome signing for the WWF.

They should have signed TJ Wilson as well, he and Harry are a great tag-ream, the Stampede Bulldogs. It'd be nice to have another Hart Foundation, or Un-American stable.

It'd be Benoit, Regal, Finlay, and Smith.

Unlike Orton, at least Harry's dad actually was a legit HOF level guy, not just some toady for Race, Piper, Adonis.

I wouldn't go THAT far.

I wouldn't go THAT far.

You really trying to say that Davey Boy Smith isn't a HoF level guy?

Yeah, that is a really dumb thing to say Davey Smith isn't a legitimate name. One of the great tag-teamers and an above-average worker who had some good-great matches throughout his career. Orton, was a great heel but that was all.

I remember when this kid used to 'write' for WWF magazine. I can't believe how much time has flown by since then. :shock:

What I meant was Orton is like Nickolai Volkoff or someone, just a bizarre HOF choice that really had no place being there if it was a REAL Hall of Fame (he was likely inducted due to his boy getting pushed). In baseball terms Bob Orton was pretty much a career .250 hitter. Competent journeyman who was a toady, but not someone people would pay to see.

Davey Boy Smith? In one of the best tag teams of the 1980s with Dynamite Kid. Former IC champ, first European champ, had another brilliant run with Owen in 1996/97, not to mention the Hart Foundation of 1997. Oh, and he drew the biggest crowd in WWF history (80,000 for SummerSlam 1992, if you believe WM 3 only drew 78,000 legit).