TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Youth N Asia

Who's on a diet

Anyone else dieting as of right this minute? Anything working for you? Please tell.

I'll post my story if anyone else picks up the topic, otherwise it'll die a slow TSM death like so many others.

Quite the opposite, actually. Since ditching vegetarianism I'm pigging out on all kinds of delicious meat products like it's going out of style.

Good luck on your diet, though.

Since January, I've been sort of dieting. On weekdays, I eat a decent breakfast, piece of fruit an hour before working out. (which I do instead of taking lunch at work) For lunch (the meal) I eat either a 6 inch sandwich from Subway or get a small or medium sized Jamba Juice. For dinner, I eat either a chicken caesar salad or portion controlled TV dinner. On weekends, I eat what I want. Key thing is to hit the gym 4-5 days a week and doing a weight training program mixed with 20-30 minutes of cardio. I dropped about 25 ibs. in roughly 3 months and have felt pretty good since.

Guest wildpegasus

I just wanted to say a diet is supposed to mean what you are actually eating and not just restricting food. So technically everyone's on a diet.

Just a pet peeve of mine.

Yeah true, but most people define a diet as a meal plan designed to lose weight. Which is always a failure. Why? The question is this: How long do you plan on "dieting"? For most people, they lose the weight their diet was intended to target, then stop the dieting. Boom, they gain the weight again. The real key is to change your eating habits. Eat less food more often. Several small meals multiple times per day is actually better than three big meals. Talk to a nutritionist. Read a book about eating right, but one that is written by a certified nutritionist with verifible credentials. Don't do fad diets, don't take weight loss pills, all that shit does is set you up for the inevitible yo-yo right back up to where you started from.

Damn that got longer than I expected.

Guest Brian

I'm trying this Randy Couture "Alkaline Diet", even though the studies haven't bode well for its success. I'm trying to focus on my cardio for STP.

Bob, aren't you like 120 lbs?

I've been hitting the gym twice a weel and working my home recumbant bike about 3 times a week. And eatting Subway instead of other fast foods. I'm down to 275, which is better than it sounds. My lean body weight is 220, having somehow kept most of my muscle from high school (some 6 years ago). 20 more pounds and I'll look good, I think. PLus my strength has gone up some, so I think in a couple months I'll have packed on some more muscle.

As an aside I dug ditches this weekend for 4 hours at a time, and it was murder. My back was hurting like a motherfucker. In high school I remember diggind ditches with a friend from crew for 6 hours 2 days in a row, laughing and joking the whole time. Them's were the days.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

My only food caveat is that I will not eat fast food more than once a month. I gain weight seasonally, but always drop it by March or so.

I have lost 40 or so pounds in the last 9 months. I have not been on any kind of restricted diet, I have just ate lesser portions, cut way down on junk food(I didnt eat ice crea, for six months and now only eat it sporadically, and when I eat chips, I eat a little bit, and also usually have lowfat popcaorn and stuff like that), and cut out all kinds of cheeses almost completely (as lately it has been causing me to have gas and/or diarehhea, even though I am not lactose-intelorant). I ride my bike and take walks a lot as well. I have unofficially kept close to a plan on total calorie consumption, trying to stay under 2,000 a day, as well as cutting down on salt intake. I have also stooped drinking soda completely. I have had nothing but perhaps a sip or two of soda in the last 8 months. I drink mostly water now, save for when I do go to a fast food place and opt for Lemonade. As weird as it sounds, I believe not drinking soda has helped me a lot. I have less gas (dont burp much anymore) and am far less bloated.

I think it helps that I still live at home and my mom cooks pretty much everynight, so I dont have to go out to eat much at all.

I just kind of lost 40 pounds without really doing anything different. I'm at 185ish now.

I started my diet Nov 1st...after pigging out on Halloween candy the night before. My start weight was 290lbs. I was closer to 300, but I work unloading trucks, so I pretty much just stayed and didn't gain anymore.

I went low carb, cutting out all candy and almost all of my carbs, although I still eat pasta once a week, but down from two times. I've cut Cokes down from about 3-4 a day to 3-4 a week.

The first 20 lbs flew right off. The last 45 took forever. Over the last couple months I started walking home from work 2-3 times a week, a 3 mile trip.

The only pics I even have of myself are pics at shows, and I don't have a scanner, so all I can do are pics of pics, so it's blurry. The top one is me in Sept at about 290. And the bottom one is me in May at 240, I've dropped to 225 since then

v.jpg

Had I known it would be this easy, I would have done this years ago

I am supposed to be starting a diet now that I just moved out and can control exactly what I buy and put in the fridge, however I need to wait a month or so because any type of food from the grocery store that is classified as "diet food" is always way more expensive then standard shitty food and I need to recoop a lot of my startup fees/costs from moving out before I can afford to spend all that extra money. Of course Dangerous_A's idea of having Jamba Juice for Lunch instead of food is a good idea, but again that involves spending money every day which at the present time I don't really want to do.

I was at the grocery store for the first time in ages this past weekend as I had to shop for the first time since moving out on my own. The price difference in TV Dinners that are healthy and the standard one is fucking ridiculous. If you kick health to the curb then they have offers like 10 for $10, and then I go and look at the Lean Cuisines and the cheapest ones are $3.50 right off the bat..........ugh.

I just kind of lost 40 pounds without really doing anything different. I'm at 185ish now.

I feel the same way about my weight loss as I didnt do that much different, but I guess I did. I'm down to about 205-208 pounds (last time I went to doctor I was at 207, and that was over a month ago so I am not too sure what I weigh now), from 240 something back in September and a high of 250-260 ish 3 years ago.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

It's not that much more expensive to eat healthy. Just get your meat cut lean. Don't buy any non fat or low fat portioned stuff. That's a crock.

The magic weight loss food is millet. Cheap, too.

Yeah, pretty much (even though I'm a perfectly fine 180) I cut out soda, stopped eating so much red meat, and cook/prepare more foods, and substituted whole wheat into my diet while getting into a regular habit of working out 3 times a week.

I also made a lifestyle change by moving onto the metro line here in DC so that I no longer need a car. If I want to go to the movies, I bike. All my friends now live within a mile or at most 2 from me, so I bike. Grocery store, local bars, restaurants, walk or bike...I only really drive now to see my gf, but even thats going to change when i get into better shape.

i've been dieting since late April and i've lost about 35 pounds in that period.

Not just diet tho, i've been hitting the gym pretty hard too and doing alot of cardio. I would've lost more weight but i'm trying to pack muscle at the same time i loose fat so the weight has been going down slower lately.

It has been pretty easy i must say.

I heard cutting out soda and similar sugary drinks makes a HUGE difference, but you have to actually stick to it and not sneak in a few every week.

yeah definitely, i haven't had a soda in like 3 months.

I also cut mayo and ketchup, bread (just oooooonce i a while), rice (just eat it with sushi now), cheeses (again, once i a while), pasta and fried stuff (which also cuts alot of oils from your diet, very helpful)

i recommend trying cutting back this things a little and i'm sure you'll see changes.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

That's a lot of things. Essentially, you're suggesting to eat less, which is sound advice, huh?

I'm going to start a pioneer diet. I've never seen a fat flabby frontiersman. Some pictures of some big ass people, sure, but they were solid huge. Lots of whole grain breads, porridges, and meat. Tons of vegetables.

Guest Vitamin X

I was doing this little diet for a little while to speed up my metabolism and manipulate the way my body processed carbs in order to lose weight. It worked great for a while, but I've gotten lazy since then and also found I have high blood pressure, probably from the excess caffeine and also from when I had stopped doing meth, my blood pressure was up in the clouds. Stress as well, but anyways the diet went like this..

In the morning, I would wake up and have a cup of coffee. Black, no sugar, milk, cream or anything, then about 45-hour later, I'd have breakfast and I'd go high-carb, low-fat. Before lunch, I make myself a cup of green tea, and eat a smart amount of food, but no real restrictions here. Then for dinner, I avoid as many carbs as I can, and pack in the protein. It worked really well and quickly, I went down from 188 to 168 in around a month or so. I also did some exercise to help it along, doing 50 push-ups and 100 crunches/sit-ups when I wake up and before I go to bed, and trying to get out a do either a 30-minute walk or a 10-15 minute run about 2-3 times a week.

My blood pressure's not that high, and I only found out through one of those testing machines they have at a grocery or drug store.. my diastolic said it was within the normal range by my systolic said it was at "prehypertension".. again, I wasn't sure if it was because of the diet, stress, or if my blood pressure was already pretty high before from when I was on meth, but I decided I didn't want to take chances anymore, so I cut out the coffee portion of my diet, and am looking to switch to the popular "eat more often, less portions" thing, while still drinking my cup of green tea a day as well and doing everything else.

If anyone knows anything about nutrition, tell me if and how this thing worked, this was just an idea I kinda came up with and saw it was working well, so I stuck with it.

I heard cutting out soda and similar sugary drinks makes a HUGE difference, but you have to actually stick to it and not sneak in a few every week.

Anything in excess is bad for you really, except for water, you can't really drink too much water. Just switch to diet soda, you'll get used to it very quickly, but don't drink it in excess either or "make up" the extra calories in the switch by eating bigger meals, which is a huge mistake many people often make.

Also, in regards to eating lean and cheap, get a Foreman grill, and buy whatever you'd like in terms of TV dinners and meats for the grill. The Foreman's the best thing to hit the kitchen since the microwave, and it grills fat and grease right off (if you still want the grease, just do what I do and drip it back on.. I've done this before with burgers, usually) The smaller TV dinners that come 10 for $10 usually have much smaller portions than the Lean Cuisine type things that are more expensive, but will probably fill you up better.

The reason why I didnt just exclusively drink diet soda (which I used to ) is that the carbonated drinks were causing gas and the artificial sweetners were as well, especially causing cramps and sometimes slight diarreah for me. I have not had any soada, but will admit to lately taking a liking to Arizona Green Tea. However I have tried to just drink a small glass and not too much to keep the sugar intake down. If I do go to a fast food place I usually will not order a drink except for water, though if I do (just to get the combo discount) ill pick lemonade and not drink much of it.

I would suggest trying to cut off on sodas and see what results.

Guest Brian
I was doing this little diet for a little while to speed up my metabolism and manipulate the way my body processed carbs in order to lose weight. It worked great for a while, but I've gotten lazy since then and also found I have high blood pressure, probably from the excess caffeine and also from when I had stopped doing meth, my blood pressure was up in the  clouds. Stress as well, but anyways the diet went like this..

In the morning, I would wake up and have a cup of coffee. Black, no sugar, milk, cream or anything, then about 45-hour later, I'd have breakfast and I'd go high-carb, low-fat. Before lunch, I make myself a cup of green tea, and eat a smart amount of food, but no real restrictions here. Then for dinner, I avoid as many carbs as I can, and pack in the protein. It worked really well and quickly, I went down from 188 to 168 in around a month or so. I also did some exercise to help it along, doing 50 push-ups and 100 crunches/sit-ups when I wake up and before I go to bed, and trying to get out a do either a 30-minute walk or a 10-15 minute run about 2-3 times a week.

My blood pressure's not that high, and I only found out through one of those testing machines they have at a grocery or drug store.. my diastolic said it was within the normal range by my systolic said it was at "prehypertension".. again, I wasn't sure if it was because of the diet, stress, or if my blood pressure was already pretty high before from when I was on meth, but I decided I didn't want to take chances anymore, so I cut out the coffee portion of my diet, and am looking to switch to the popular "eat more often, less portions" thing, while still drinking my cup of green tea a day as well and doing everything else.

If anyone knows anything about nutrition, tell me if and how this thing worked, this was just an idea I kinda came up with and saw it was working well, so I stuck with it.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm not an expert. But from my personal experiences with people dieting and the type of dieting pills they put out on the market, I'll try to answer.

First off, the coffee and the tea mean caffeine and diaretics. Because those drinks are diaretics, meaning they suck water out of your system. Caffeine is highly prevalent in most modern dieting pills, and that might help. Otherwise, I think the carbs early works really well, because you can burn that stuff up during the day, and you don't store it at night as sugars. Someone, like Mik, can probably offer you a lot more insight than me.

Guest Vitamin X

I don't think Mik posts here anymore, I certainly haven't seen him on this folder either.

Also, when do you guys think is the best time for exercise? I mentioned that I do 50 push-ups and 100 crunches/sit-ups when I wake up and before I go to bed minimum, but that's just to keep and/or get toned in my upper body. I've tried going to the gym a bit after I wake up, in the middle of my day, and also about a couple hours before going to bed. I like going before going to bed because it's emptier there (we have an extremely overcrowded gym, and I HATE having to wait in line to use dumbbells or machines) and also because it gets me tired before going to bed, which helps because I have insomnia. But health-wise, I've heard conflicting reports on when the best time is.

I'm going to start a pioneer diet. I've never seen a fat flabby frontiersman. Some pictures of some big ass people, sure, but they were solid huge. Lots of whole grain breads, porridges, and meat. Tons of vegetables.

Yeah, but I'd think you would have to live the lifestyle. It's like the meat heavy 'caveman diet' people bring up, but neglect the fact that they had to run around after their food and battle with it.

Guest Brian
I don't think Mik posts here anymore, I certainly haven't seen him on this folder either.

Also, when do you guys think is the best time for exercise? I mentioned that I do 50 push-ups and 100 crunches/sit-ups when I wake up and before I go to bed minimum, but that's just to keep and/or get toned in my upper body. I've tried going to the gym a bit after I wake up, in the middle of my day, and also about a couple hours before going to bed. I like going before going to bed because it's emptier there (we have an extremely overcrowded gym, and I HATE having to wait in line to use dumbbells or machines) and also because it gets me tired before going to bed, which helps because I have insomnia. But health-wise, I've heard conflicting reports on when the best time is.

Generally, morning. BMR is lower in the morning and you get it up and keep it higher for the rest of the day. If you eat thrity minutes to an hour, even two but to a lesser extent, you burn a lot of what you put in pretty quickly.

That's a lot of things. Essentially, you're suggesting to eat less, which is sound advice, huh?

that's not a lot of things, that's just a few things to cut back if you want to see some change. I never said eat less, just eat healthy