TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Your Paragon of Virtue

WEC February 13, 2008

World Extreme Cagefighting announced three title fights Tuesday for the promotion's Feb. 13 card at the Santa Ana Star Center in Albuquerque, N.M.

In the main event, WEC welterweight champion Carlos Condit (Pictures) (21-4) will defend his title against Carlo Prater (Pictures) (21-5-1). In September 2004, Prater used a triangle choke to give Condit his first loss. Both fighters ride winning streaks into the rematch -- Condit has won six straight, and Prater has won three -- which will take place in Condit's hometown.

"Razor" Rob McCullough (Pictures) (15-3) will be back in action following his TKO over Richard Crunkilton (Pictures) in September. The WEC lightweight champion will battle Jamie Varner (Pictures) (13-2, 2 NC), who stopped Sherron Leggett (Pictures) in August.

WEC bantamweight champion Chase Beebe (Pictures) (11-1) will also defend his title against Miguel Torres (Pictures) (19-1).

I really, really like the WEC. I can do without the constant shilling of "CARLOS CONDIT IS THE BEST WW IN THE WORLD" or "URIJAH FABER IS AN ANIMAL! CURRAN ONLY LASTED ONE AND A HALF ROUNDS" Never mind that he rode Faber's back for the first round and had him in a lot of trouble.

But still, the fights themselves are pretty boss, man.

Nevermind that Faber pushed his frogshit in when it mattered.

Good card. I like that match with Condit as it gives them a reason to have the fight since they don't have the division fully developed to have a number 1 contender. Also, the "revenge" storyline is easy to buy.

I really, really like the WEC. I can do without the constant shilling of "CARLOS CONDIT IS THE BEST WW IN THE WORLD" or "URIJAH FABER IS AN ANIMAL! CURRAN ONLY LASTED ONE AND A HALF ROUNDS" Never mind that he rode Faber's back for the first round and had him in a lot of trouble.

Although he had Faber's back, Faber was not in any serious danger at all. Curran didn't even come close at all with any submission.

Leonard Garcia also makes his WEC debut on this card against Hiroyuki Takaya. Good move by ZUFFA by sending Garcia to the WEC.

Mark Hominick also fights Josh Grispi.

Takaya likely batters Garcia around in a fashion similar to Huerta, and Torres against a legit Top 10 fighter is arguably the best thing about this card.

I will try to confirm that tomorrow myself, I've posted before that he has the potential to be the best FW in the world.

All you people dickriding Faber don't realize that Ivan whooped that ass good before getting fucked over by shitty reffing.

This is on in an hour, in case anyone forgot.

FYI, Charlie Valencia (who you may remember for his german suplex) is on the undercard. Let's hope he pulls another trick out of his bag.

That Banuelos/Tapia decision was a debacle.

I wasn't sure how I felt watching two dudes with male tramp stamps of their name battle it out but they both brought it. But, man, that's inexcusable.

Well - what can you say really? That was a very nice display of jiu-jitsu. It's the power of the dirtstache and the mullet.

I can't really say that I'm surprised that they are giving Brian Stann a title shot already, but I kinda hope he gets his face smashed in so we don't have to get USA! USA! crammed down our throats at a level that very few would be able to stand.

And I was hoping going in to tonight that the Garcia fight would make air... wow, what an impressive display. The final shot was pretty brutal. I have a feeling with another win he'll be fighting Urijah (or Jens...lol).

Despite only seeing four fights on the TSN-showing of things this card was fuckin ill. Tapia and Buenelos both brought it in spades, Torres is Sonic The Hedgehog on crack, Razor Rob getting tooled by Varner was hilarious and Condit is still the fuckin' man.

Now all I gotta do is watch the prelims as I'm told there was a flying armbar in one of the fights.