TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest snuffbox

Concert Memories

Guest snuffbox

Ok, there've been dozens of 'what bands have you seen live' threads. Here it can be a lil more detailed. What moments or memories, good or bad, stick out most in all the shows you've seen? I have quite a few Ill share as well if this thread actually draws interest!

Guest Agent of Oblivion

When I saw Dying Fetus, I seriously wouldn't have been surprised to see a severed head fly across the room. The crowd was that violent.

Nasum was a notable experience because it was the loudest thing I've ever heard.

I almost got knocked unconcious when I saw Slayer, and got a mouthful of dirt and grit when I hit the ground.

Ozzfest 98 was notable for all the large bonfires the crowd was lighting. Most of the bands played REALLY well, and in appreciation, everyone piled up gigantic heaps of garbage and clothes and lit them ablaze. For every one security extinguished, fans lit 2 more. Flinging sod from the lawn was a grand affair that year as well. After the show, the whole lawn looked like a fucking warzone, it was great.

Ozzfest 99 wasn't as good musically overall, but the crowd was even more evil. Perhaps it was the presence of Slayer, and I'd like to think that it was, but by the end of the show the lawn was even in WORSE shape that the previous year. Slayer got pretty much a fourth of the lawn torn to shreds just from the circle pits, and everyone started wingin' the shit during Rob Zombie (good stage show), and Sabbath (Religious Experience.)

Guest Agent of Oblivion

When counting crummy local shows, it's not fair to judge them on the same scale as, you know, GOOD bands. That said, probably the most fun I've ever had at a local gig was watching these two people square off against each other sumo-style, only backing up about 15 feet apiece, then running full-bore and crashing into each other. One of them was a friend of mine, who later was launched into the heavens and crash-landed right on his tailbone and head at the same time on the concrete floor. He instantly shot upright, writhing in pain, and EVERYONE laughed like a bastard except for this one girl who wasn't very good looking. That's about it.

Guest saturnmark4life

When I got to see Andrew WK, I was concerned about two things beforehand. One, every god damn cocksucker at that festival was one of those morons who think they are purists and look down on him because they listen to all this really DEEP shit, maaan like muse and incubus (shits self laughing) so backlash from the entire crowd except me and my friends worried me, least of all because I would have gotten REALLY violent.

Secondly, I didn't expect him to be that good. I mean, I LOVE the record and will till I die, but he's not technically the best vocalist in the world (better than Bono at least ;)) but dear god, it was absolutely beautiful. A crowd gathered, we all had the time of our lives. He sounded glorious, I screamed my fucking head off, and it was one of the best shows I had ever seen. So much happiness in one place.

Frank Black and the Catholics also blew me away in my hometown, playing about 80,000 songs somehow, and 3 for the encore. He did justice to all the pixies covers as well, especially gouge away. Overall, it was the best gig of all time for me, and I would kill to see him in the same venue again.

I've never really been dissapointed with any gig really, mushroomhead had plain horrible support bands and their own set was FAR too short but they sounded damn good. I'd also love to se RFTC again, because when I did i'd only really heard one album, and after hearing more I'm convinced they are the most consistent band on the planet.

Guest saturnmark4life

Oh, and just to be a post whore the best band from a 'show' perspective I've seen is and always will be RAMMSTEIN. Thanks.

Guest gangsteruwa

When I saw ICP in 2001, about halfway through their set I started feeling dizzy. I didn't know what was going on because I hadn't done any mindaltering substances (including alcohol) in over a year. I went over to a foosball table and basically blacked out. When I came to this fat dude in a half ripped Fear Factory shirt was talking to me and asked if I wanted to go in the pit. I never go in pits (I go to concerts to watch and listen to a band, not get my ass kicked) so I declined, slumped down and spent the rest of the concert on the floor of some shitty bar in Clifton Park until my friends found me.

Guest converge241

"When I saw Dying Fetus, I seriously wouldn't have been surprised to see a severed head fly across the room. The crowd was that violent."

got to meet the Fetus while on honeymoon at a strip club in Montreal

Guest redbaron51

At the friendship festival here in Fort Erie (people from around the area know about this) One of my friends threw a rock at Edwin (who was peforming at the time) and he drew blood, and left the stage, after three songs.

At Ozzy in Hamilton, i traded my binoculars for a 50 bag...best weed ever, and ever since.

Guest Youth N Asia

Rollings Stone, Bridges to Babaylon (sp) tour...Pontiac Silverdome in Pontiac, Michigan (home of Wrestlemania 3)

Some dumb drunk bastard on the 2nd tier of levels jumps on the gaurdrail at the end of the show and starts dancing...falls to his death...they run the stretcher out past me with him on it.

Guest CoreyLazarus416

BEST:

-Getting crushed up against the front guardrail at a Misfits show a month ago, and getting a boot to my nose from a crowd surfer. It was bleeding on-and-off all night and into the next day. It was good :D

-Slayer. 'NUFF...FUCKING...SAID...

-When Flipp played their set at WAAF LocoBazooka '02 (the ORIGINAL LocoBazooka) I was in amazement at how much fun it was. The bassist, Freaky, played the tune from Close Encounters Of The Third Kind at the end of the set, and DAYUM...he had this exploding jetpack-looking thing on his back and a tube in his mouth connected to his bass...

WORST:

-Downthesun and Soulfly, both opening for Slayer. Downthesun just sucked, and Soulfly featured a bunch of fucking nu-metallers trying to mosh, but really just jumping around and acting like idiots. I stood to the side of the pit, arms crossed, the entire time, not moving until they played "Refuse/Resist."

-Dirty Water opening for The Misfits last month. The crowd was dead, the band was shit, and they just WOULDN'T GET OFF THE FUCKING STAGE.

Guest snuffbox

First conert - Mudvayne, Hatebreed, Coal Chamber opening things up. I watch and enjoy from a safe distance. Up next, Sevendust, and I join the quite large crowd at the stage. Lil bouncing, lil moshing, and I try the crowdsurfing for the first time only to fall quickly as the song ends. End up gettin a lil crowdsurfing in during Waffle, eventualy being dropped in a bellyflop to the concrete. Ouch. Up next, the main event, Slipknot. I watch this from the grandstand nearest the stage. Awesome stage show. I leave the building deaf, and quite sore. Good times!

I have several more...

Anybody else?

Guest Lethargic

I saw the Sex Pistols almost cause a riot one time. That was fun. The fans were already drunk and pissed off at the opening bands. By time the Pistols started playing Rotten already knew it so he just tore into everybody. Flipping people off, throwing people out, throwing stuff in the crowd. It kicked ass.

Guest The Metal Maniac

Well, I've only been to one concert that I wanted to go to (I've gotten gifts to the Tragically Hip, but I mean, COME ON...worst concert ever...) so all of these are from that.

It was the Misfits, playing in some local bingo hall. No, really - I'm quite sure the place IS a bingo hall at normal hours. Anyway, when they oncovered the drum kit, which had been under a tarp all night, everyone flipped.

Then when they started to play, I realized what I had gotten myself into. The people standing behind me, in a line the whole way across the crowd, decided that they were going to form the outer rim of the mosh pit, by jumping into everyone in front of them as soon as the first note was hit.

I ain't a big guy, so there wasn't much I was gonna do except get smooshed into the crowd. Not really moshing, as I had no real room to move - I just had one hand sticking up in the air, and the rest of my body was trapped, even when I got a mouthful of leather jacket shoulder, and couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Anyway, I remember that them playing "Dig Up Her Bones" was one of the most amazing things ever. I just got totally swamped in the music and lost myself. Very uber-awesome. Also, as an advantage to the being crushed, I ended up with three people between me and the guardrail, with Jerry Only right on the other side.

Also, at one point someone crowd-surfed over me, which was a mistake. Like I said, I'm small, and I was totally unprepared for someone's ass to land on my head out of the blue. I did my best to support the guy until some others moved him, so I guess it all worked out.

Though I must say, for all the alleged violence and such, I don't think I've ever seen nicer people. I saw people start to fall over, and others were already helping them stay on their feet. I don't think anyone hit the ground all night, from what I could tell.

I eventually had to squeeze my way out, because I was dying of the heat since I still had my fucking coat on.

Bottom line, best concert I've ever seen. I really enjoyed the fact that it was in such a small building - it made the whole thing seem a lot more personal then some big stadium show where you can't even see the bloody musicians. With the Misfits, you could literally reach out and touch them. Very nice, that.

Guest NoCalMike

When I went to Extreme Steel Tour in 2001, it was CRAZY. When we arrived at the place, there was a large group of prostestors with picket signs that read, "Turn to Jesus" or "Say no to Satan" some people just don't get it, hahaha. So I got to the floor which was packed to the brim, and once Slayer opened with Raining Blood, the crowd NEVER STOPPED MOVING. Even if you weren't in the pit, there was still constant shifting and sliding going on. The Pit was brutal for the mere fact that it had about 2000 people moving around in it....

I saw Deicide and Morbid Angel in December 2001 on the "In Torment in Hell" tour, it was crazy as well. This girl was mezmorized by the lead guitarist of Deicide and she just kept rubbing the spikes on his boots. He just kept looking down with a "this bitch is crazy" look on his face.

Last Death Metal show I went to was Cannibal Corpse last year. It was the largest and most brutal club show I have been too. The pit was the most brutal thing I have seen on that scale. Girls were topless and tatted. I couldn't believe ANY FEMALE would have the balls to go topless at a CC show. What in the hell were they thinking.

Oh and I remember at Ozzfest 2000, we were waiting in line to get in, and these two girls start arguing, then one proceeds to take off her shirt and throw it at the other girl and scream, "fine then bitch take it back" so she walks towards the line as if there isn't 5000 people staring at her topless body. Hilarious. Oh and then we got to the front of the line and our tickets had a "scalpers code" on it, whatever that means, so we had to wait off to the side while they verified our tickets. What a bunch of crap. When we got in, I started moshing a bit at second stage until I noticed that the other guy in the moshpit had swastika tattoo in the back of his shaved head. So I decided, NAAAAAAA, I want to live.

I have plenty more, but that is good for now.

Guest notJames

I saw Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine and EMF at William Paterson College (now University) in 1990 (I think). It was in a gymnasium, and while Carter was playing, my two friends decided to give me a double-foot boost into the air, roughly 8 feet up and about 15 feet backward. Unfortunately, the crowd parted like the Red Sea, and I landed hard on my hip on the parquet floor. Assholes. I had to watch the rest of the show from the bleachers.

Back in 1994, I saw Guttermouth and the Lunachicks (I think) open for the Offspring at Irving Plaza in NYC, just after "Come Out and Play" hit it big with the frat boys and Top 40 radio. The barricades up front were a wall of big wooden slabs, with metal corner pieces for hooking them all together. At one point, I had rested my hand too close to one of the spaces between the barricade walls, so when the crowd swelled forward, the barricade closed in on my pinky. I could tell it was bleeding a lot, and I feared that I broke the bone, but I didn't want to leave, so I procured a tissue from one of the bouncers, wrapped up my wound, and proceeded with the show. Afterwards, as my friends and I made our way outside, I unwrapped my finger to find a pulpy mass of flesh where my finger had been. The bleeding had more or less stopped, but I swear I could see my finger bone, although my friends confirmed that the wound just got to the muscle layer. No stitches that night, so now I have this neato scar that makes it look like someone reattached my fingertip.

There was the time that I lost one of my green Converse high tops at a Jesus Jones show, only to find out later that the lead singer got hit in the head with it, but they're not a cool band, so I'll just skip it... ;)

The best, though, was finally seeing Milo play with the Descendents again at the Warped Tour in 1997, and on the third stage, to boot. Up close and personal. A dream come true.

Guest nl5xsk1
The best, though, was finally seeing Milo play with the Descendents again at the Warped Tour in 1997, and on the third stage, to boot. Up close and personal. A dream come true.

I got to see The Descendents (with Milo) play their second show together again, at a gay bar in Ft Collins CO. I got to go backstage (which was just a fenced in area of the parking lot) and hang around with the band, and had to suppress being "OMG you're BILL! And you're MILO!" and not act like a 14 year old girl meetin nsync (which was really hard not to do).

One of my friends was caught sneaking some weed into the gay bar, and was kicked out and every time he tried to re-enter the place, the effeminite doormen would shriek "here comes the dopeman, don't let the dopeman in" The minute the show ended, the normal patrons to the gay bar started filter in so there was this weird dynamic of a few hundred sweaty punks intermingling with the gays. A great time.

Guest snuffbox

Disturbed was supposed to be on the aforementioned Slipknot/Sevendust show but had to pull out for whatever reason. They said theyd come to town as soon as possible, and did, playing at a theatre about 2 weeks later. While waiting outside the building early we saw David Draiman walking about and exchanged some 'hey, how are ya's. He was also signing autographs in between the opening acts. This was just before disturbed got big so the ego was not present. The show was quite good, Apartment 26, Deadlights, Workhorse Movement (I have several memories of this band, Ill post them soon!) and Disturbed. :headbang:

Guest Renegade

Getting kicked square in the eye by a crowd surfer when I saw One minute Silence.

Guest Kibagami

I saw Catch-22 at the 9:30 back in September...their set was badass, but the highpoint of the show was watching almost three-fourths of the crowd turn on their heels and walk out the door as soon as Mest, who was headlining for some unfathomable reason, walked onstage.

K.

Guest snuffbox

One Minute Silence is one of the most badass live bands in existence! Holy shit! I saw them once at my local club. They were opening for Mudvayne, as they were just beginning their meteoric rise. Unbelievable set!

Also on the show was a rising Chicago band, Relative Ash. They kicked ass as well. Frontman Marcus Harrington is a rather emotional sort and it shows in the music. He hugged me for the better part of one song, keeping the mic to the side of my face/ear as he sang/spoke. Easily the single most memorable concert moment of my life! The hug thing would seem slightly homoerotic, but he has a wife/daughter. Oddly hugs and comraderie seem rather plentiful in the moshpits. They became my new favorite band.

:headbang:

Guest saturnmark4life

When I saw NOFX I was unable to talk for about an hour afterwards. I was screaming every fucking word. It's weird that my 2 favourite bands lyrically are the smiths and NOFX.

Guest Sassquatch

The best time I ever had at a concery was at a local bands show that was playing at the nearby pub a couple of years ago.

The opening band plays their set and then the headliners go on and total fucking chaos breaks out. The crowd had been ravenous all night since the guys headlining were the local boys that everyone knew and they were treated like Demi Gods wherever they went in town.

The thing that made this night memorable was when a buddy of mine, who was drunk off his ass, got close to the band and actually got onto stage. He started singing with the lead singer (who he knew) and was doing a good job until he gave everyone the devil sign with one hand while he had another beer in the other. He looked up at the ceiling and the puked up on himself.

He then fell flat on his face on stage while the band continued to play their set.

It was one of the funniest things I have ever seen as he had no idea what was going on around him but acted like he had just won the Super Bowl. He was laying in a puddle of his own filth while the band just played around him. A couple minutes later he got up, face covered in puke, and gave us the devil sign and went back to sleep on the stage.

After the show was over and the poor bastard had sobered up, he asked us what the Hell we had just come back from and we all just had a good laugh.

Guest Insanityman

Considering the fact I can't have a job and my parents don't pitch that much money my way- I've only been to local bands with kids around my age. The main band was decent, for kids our age, and one of our songs made a huge mosh break out. We helped everyone who fell until some of the kids who went, because they thought they'd look hardcore, went in trying to destroy everyone. My friend hit a shoulder barge right in the chest and flung him out and maybe a minute later my two friend tossed me onto most of the assholes. It was so damn painful, yet so much fun.

Edit: I speak English good...

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Holy shit, Sass, that rules. I remember this shirtless guy standing in line for Pantera who was absolutely trashed as hell, and was running around punching signs and parking meters and shit, all while screaming out shit like "This is what it's all about, motherfuckers!" and "It's time to separate the men from the boys." "Woooooooooooooooo!!!!" etc, etc.

Later that night I saw him get carried out of the pit by some of his buds, as he was covered in puke and was bleeding profusely.

It was fuckin' awesome.

Guest Sassquatch

Oh there were other times just like that.

At one show I went to, a chick was flashing the band when all of a sudden one of the drunkards came over to feel her tits up but then puked up on her chest and fell face first into her puke covered tits.

It was one of the most disgusting yet hilarious things I saw.

There was another time when two guys I knew got into a fight in the middle of the floor and knocked eachother out at the same time. Everyone just danced around them while they lay in a puddle of their own blood and when they came to they got up and hugged one another and started to rock out.

Perhaps one of the most intriguing ways I have seen a guy been knocked out was when the lead singer of one of the local bands threw his mic at a guy's face which hit him right in the nose. The dude went down like a ton of bricks and the singer just pulled his cord back and continued to rock on.

Good times.