TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest KCC

Kurt Angle released!

Guest KCC
Due to personal issues Kurt Angle has been granted an early release from his contract. WWE looks forward to establishing a new relationship with Kurt in the near future.

The only gold medalist in WWE history, Kurt Angle arrived in 1999 and quickly became one of the most decorated champions in sports-entertainment history. "The Wrestling Machine" is not only a six-time World Champion, but also held the Intercontinental Championship, Tag Team Championship and won the 2000 King of the Ring tournament. Recently joining ECW, Angle’s unmatched intensity was rivaled only by his technical and athletic in-ring prowess.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/3230064

I just made one of my once a week trips to WWE.com and saw the headline. Wow, is all I can say. It really seemed like WWE would let Angle kill himself in the ring before they released him.

I am disappointed that I won't get to see him at the ECW house show I'm going to in 2 weeks, though. At least Mike Knox will be there...

Wow, that's crazy. Angle's one of the last big stars that they had from the peak years, and he's been a consistent performer pretty much the whole time. Now, HHH, HBK, and Taker are the only real stars that are still there from pre-2001.

I can't believe they just released him that easy. I thought they would have taken him off TV for 6 months and do whatever it took for him to recover before they'd do this.

As an aside, does anyone think this could be a real turning point for TNA. Everyone knew Steiner and Nash were washed up. Christian was never a big star. But Angle? You just can't deny that he's one of the top stars in the business.

If this allows him to take care of his personal issues and get healed up, then great. Let him return healthy and working a reduced schedule. I don't want to see him end up like the Dynamite Kid in a few years.

If this allows him to take care of his personal issues and get healed up, then great. Let him return healthy and working a reduced schedule. I don't want to see him end up like the Dynamite Kid in a few years.

I agree 100%. The guy is a wreck right now, and needs time off more than anything else.

Guest nokia

I guess wwe doesn't want to be responsible for his health any longer...Easiest thing to do is to release him....

He has too many emotional problems aswell. His wife is expecting a son, and are they are about to divorce, he needs to straighten out his personal life and work things out with his family.

I think this is the best move. Give him 8-10 months to recover and straighten his life out, then come back stronger then ever.

It's sad though because Kurt Angle is problay my favorite wrestler.

As an aside, does anyone think this could be a real turning point for TNA. Everyone knew Steiner and Nash were washed up. Christian was never a big star. But Angle? You just can't deny that he's one of the top stars in the business.

He's also busted up pretty bad, and if recent reports are to be believed was politicking pretty bad towards the end. Don't get me wrong, the addition of Angle WOULD give TNA a boost, and maybe the reduced schedule could even help him out... but if WWE lets him go due to basically being too sick to work and TNA picks him up, what sort of message does that send out to the wrestling community? "Yeah, we're even less concerned about your welfare than the WWE. Wrap your heads around THAT, if you can."

Throw me in the "This is good for Angle" pile.

I wasn't really enjoying him in ECW, but it'll still be weird not having him in WWE.

I hope Kurt doesn't run to TNA just to wrestle. That would be the worst thing for him. And off topic (not that it'll matter since this post will be buried under 10 pages before tonight), but Angle still won't help TNA long term. It only adds to the already established idea that TNA can't make its own stars and has to steal them from WWE.

I have to wonder if they gave Angle an option to go to rehab and he refused, like with Jeff Hardy, considering how long it took them to fire guys like Eddy Guerrero who had similar problems.

anyone who believes this has anything to do with anything BUT drugs is out to lunch. thats the only way they'll release guys nowadays. especially top guys.

That might've contribute to it, but there are other reasons surrounding it, like Angle's family life.

anyone who believes this has anything to do with anything BUT drugs is out to lunch. thats the only way they'll release guys nowadays. especially top guys.

That might've contribute to it, but there are other reasons surrounding it, like Angle's family life.

drugs are the underlying issues. wwe doesn't release wrestlers because they're going through a divorce. drugs drugs drugs.

Meltzer strongly hinted that he was abusing pain killers and abusing his body to the point that he would probably be dead within a year or two, and he said that about half a year ago.

Taking 5,000 german suplexes makes for good TV, but it's gonna catch up to you.

The only thing I can think of is that he refused to go to rehab. Otherwise, I have trouble believing that they would have fired him as out-of-the-blue as they have. I know he's had problems, but nothing seemed to indicate that WWE was this concerned.