TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

The knockoff thread

61hydrox.jpg

Fun fact: Hydrox actually came out four years before Oreos. Sadly, they are no longer around. The world no longer needed second rate Oreos.

pibb1.jpg

image_melloyelloafterglow2.jpg The late Mello Yello and its little remembered offshoots. Once endorsed by Dusty Rhodes and the stars of JCP.

This thread is pretty self-descripitve. Talk about some of your favorite and least favorite knockoffs. The celebrated ones and the lesser known ones (Dr. Thunder, the necter of my youth)

The Big N Tasty is suspiciously similar to the Whopper, although not as good. I do like the Big N Tasty quite a bit and would eat it regularly when I worked at McDonald's, but it isn't half the sandwich that its predecessor, the Big Xtra, was. They discontinued the Big Xtra shortly after I began my stint there. I was born too late.

Is there any sort of difference between Mr. Pibb and Pibb Xtra, or was that just a cosmetic change?

AllSportLemonLime.gif

Drank this stuff at many a youth soccer game. It was the only sports drink to my knowledge that was carbonated (until it's formula changed). Gatorade was still my main choice but I actually knew about All-Sport before Powerade. I don't know if it's still around, but I haven't seen it in years.

And I don't have any recollection of the other Mello Yello versions (maybe the melon, but vaugely at best).

Is there any sort of difference between Mr. Pibb and Pibb Xtra, or was that just a cosmetic change?

A couple of years ago, a waitress at a restaurant actually fucking went into a couple minute long speech about the differences between Pibb and Pibb XTra(and no, I didn't bring the topic up. She just went into it all on her own.)

I was too busy staring at her tits to remember what they were.

According to its Wikipedia entry, Pibb Xtra contains cinnamon and cherry flavors not found in Mr. Pibb. It also mentions that Pibb Xtra is virtually unheard of in the Northeast. How could this be?

Let me tell you something my friend. You can't find Mr. Pibb or Pibb Extra until you hit Connecticut and its apperances are sporadic until you hit the Beltway area. I make sure to grab a couple twelve packs on every vacation I take down south.

There is one odd exception. I can get it at Regal Cinemas for some reason but with all of the new theaters with stadium seating, Pibb isn't enough to drive me there.

Burger King had the "Big King," which was a superior version of the Big Mac. I ate them all the time in college, and then they got rid of it. It came back later as the "King Supreme," but I have not seen it around for a long time. Much better burger than the Mac, in my humble opinion.

My dad always bought us Wal-Mart brand soda because it was like half the price of Coke or Pepsi. You could get like a two liter for 79 cents and a twelve pack for $2 or something. Good ol' Dr. Thunder. Dr. Thunder wasn't quite as good as Dr. Pepper but for 35 cents at the vending machine, it did the job. Mountain Lightning on the other hand sucked. If you thought Mountain Dew was redneck nectar, imagine Wal Mart's Mountain Dew knockoff. Ye gods. The only other memory I have of Wal-Mart brand soda was buying a twelve pack of Wal Mart Root Beer for our camp and leaving it there during the winter and the cans bursting and leaving a huge mess in that fridge.

On my next visit to Wal-Mart, I think I'm going to have to get some Dr. Thunder for old time's sake.

Oh, I refuse to buy name brand soda at the supermarket. I see no sense in paying a dollar more for a product that's only marginally better. A 2 liter bottle of Big K is, like, 45 cents at Kroger and it gets the job done just fine. I've lamentably been unable to find a passable knockoff of my favorite soda, North Carolina's legendary Cheerwine.

Burger King had the "Big King," which was a superior version of the Big Mac. I ate them all the time in college, and then they got rid of it. It came back later as the "King Supreme," but I have not seen it around for a long time. Much better burger than the Mac, in my humble opinion.

Having never eaten this burger, I have to admit to being somewhat skeptical. Burger King doesn't have dehyrdrated onions, do they? Along with the sauce, those are really the most integral part of the Big Mac experience.

The sauce is Thousand Island dressing. Burger King had that on there as well. The reasons I liked it better was the taste of the beef, the sliced onions, pickles, etc. They made a Big Mac like you would make at home. Well, as best they could in fast food form.

Back in high school at WWF pay per view parties we would stock up on all things cheap. Walmart soda, having friends hook us up with meat and cheese platters from Ro-Jacks, me bringing a bag of pastries from Dunkin Donuts (where I worked). So once we're sitting in my friend's living room, bored by an Undertaker match. My friend's dad walks in and he and his dad have this exchange.

F: Hey dad, want a Dr. Thunder?

FD: ...No thanks...trying to cut back.

Of course, I can't get the timing right, but it's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Anyway. I'm a generic guy at the grocery store. Unless the cereal is giving away good prizes. We have about 10 each of the Star Wars spoons and the Indiana Jones spoons for no other reason other than I'm a 10 year old boy. The only name-brand I buy in things I use everyday is Arizona Iced Tea. And that's only because I've yet to find a generic iced tea that's as good, or one that makes a half iced tea half lemonade drink that is as great as Arizona's.

Hell I haven't seen anybody else that made a half lemonade-half ice tea drink.

Off topic, but there's a new (to me) Arnold Palmer half-lemonade-half ice green tea that is equally is good as the original.

can't find a picture, but Dr. Zip was a better subsitute for Dr. Pepper.

Also the local Food Basics/A& brand of Root Beer was better than almost any other root beer.

radical.jpg

I don't even like Dr. Pepper, so I can't tell if this is a poor substitute or not. I just remember having it on a camping trip one time and we all thought it was pretty funny.

Hell I haven't seen anybody else that made a half lemonade-half ice tea drink.

Off topic, but there's a new (to me) Arnold Palmer half-lemonade-half ice green tea that is equally is good as the original.

Newman's Own does a good Arnold Palmer.

I've never seen a Newman's Own drink down here, just the crappy salad dressing.

And that green tea/lemonade drink sucks. I got a can of it at a store in the sticks one day and tossed the can after two sips. Green tea sucks.

"Mr. Pibb is a replica of Dr. Pepper... But, it's a bullshit replica, 'cause dude didn't even get his degree. Why'd you have to drop out and start making pop so soon?"

Heh... Hedberg still rules all.

Oh yeah, you can still get Mello Yello in Georgia.

I rarely drink soda anymore, and when I do, it's diet. But as of a few years ago, I never saw Mr. Pibb anywhere. It seemed to be completely replaced by Pibb Xtra. Also, while there are obvious similarities, I could definitely tell the difference between Dr. Pepper and Mr. Pibb. It was kind of like the difference between regular Pepsi and Coke.

Mello Yello has not been discontinued. It is still sold in many areas and is available as a fountain drink. Just the standard flavor, though.

I used to drink All-Sport a lot as a kid when I played basketball. That shit was good. Like someone said above, I knew of All-Sport long before Powerade. I was drinking All-Sport in 1994, and I never even saw Powerade for sale until at least 2000. According to Wikipedia, though, Powerade came first.

And that green tea/lemonade drink sucks. I got a can of it at a store in the sticks one day and tossed the can after two sips. Green tea sucks.

I love the new Green Tea/Ginger Ale mix that somebody (Cant remember who now) makes.

Also, the Mr. Pibb talk reminds me of the American Dad episode where Stan goes nuts and tries to save Mr. Pibb.

I also remember trying Pibb Xtra down in SC about 6 years ago and making the comment on here that "The Xtra must stand for the Xtra aftertaste"

Oh yeah, Newman makes a great Lemonade, Limeade and Arnold Palmer. Check for it in the juice aisle, it's in a carton. Best lemonade I've ever had.

Guest Desensitized

RC isn't a knockoff, it's just another brand of cola.

For the Canadians, the best knockoff of Coffee Time, Time Coffee:

timecoffee.jpg

RC isn't a knockoff, it's just another brand of cola.

For the Canadians, the best knockoff of Coffee Time, Time Coffee:

timecoffee.jpg

How much for a pack of smokes?

I just had a can of Mello Yello today out of a randomly placed pop machine as I was riding my bike. Vault is pretty much a repackaged version of Mello Yello.