TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 85 - Bedlam

Matt just broke the news on his website that this will be the main event of the show and regardless of the outcome he'll get Serra next.

Matt Hughes vs Thiago Alves

Brandon Vera vs Fabricio Werdum

Marcus Davis vs Mike Swick

Chris Leben vs Michael Bisping

Nate Marquardt vs Thales Leites

Rashad Evans vs James Irvin

Martin Kampmann vs Jorge Rivera

Jason Lambert vs Luis Cane

Matt Wiman vs Thiago Tavares

Antoni Hardonk vs Neil Wain

Roan Carneiro vs Ryo Chonan

So what does this mean for Alves' #2 contender status should he lose to Super Dick?

And I wonder if they're still trying for Bisping/Fratboy now?

This card has too many names on it to be a UFN and they'll play up that it's Hughes's first time back in the UK since the second fight with Carlos Newton. Won't be the draw Chuck would but still too big to put on free tv.

This isn't a bad main event but it's not exactly beneficial for the WW rankings. If Hughes beats this AND gets past Serra he still can't fight for the title with GSP on top unless Fitch finds a way to beat GSP. It'd be a good notch on the belt of Thiago and would certainly make him a top five WW to take out Karo and Hughes within a half-year but the risk for him is huge too.

At the same time he's not exactly hiding behind his "I got next" status, like Karo was, so in Dana's twisted mind that may make him more of a contender.

I think if Alves loses he'll get the winner of Koscheck/Lytle to keep him in the mix.

I was thinking for a minute that it's lame to have a non-title fight for a PPV main but then I remembered that this show was never supposed to have one in the first place. I dig the hell out of that main card, should go a long way in establishing upper-level guys @ 170, 185 and HW.

The selling point they (aka Rogan) will use during the fight is "Will Thiago hold back on the leg kicks in fear of the takedown?". He used them sparingly against Karo for the same reason and there's no question that if Karo can take him down Hughes will have no issue. A Thiago KO is of course a possibility but I see this being like a less action-packed version of Fitch/Alves with Hughes riding out a decision.

I actually really like this card.

I'd love to see Alves destroy Hughes but it would have to be via way of a KO. Either way, win or lose, I can see Alves losing the fight throughout. Either he ends up losing or he catches Hughes when he's behind on the cards.

that card looks pretty solid, Hughes/Alves should be very good I say Hughes by RNC in round 2

I'm going and got to say that when Chuck pulled out I was really pissed off but adding Hughes/Alves and Bisping/Leben has made the overall card much stronger. Should be a good night.

Looking at the two fights I listed as confirmed I'm curious as to two fights will get bumped off the main card. Vera/Werdum is probably a #1 contenders fight, Davis is too hot for the undercard and they need Marqurdt/Leities beacuse of the lack of MW contenders. Rivera/Kampmann will for sure get bumped but I can't see any others and there's no way Rashad/Irvin or Leben/Bisping doesn't make the main card.

Yeah, good call. Man I really like this card. Even without a title main event this goes up against anything they've done in the last while.

Although I like this card, I think UFC 84 is a better card.

Fight for fight this is a great card. Lacks starpower that some UFCs have had lately. But looks like some good fights are going to come out of this

Matt Hughes vs Thiago Alves - until someone other than George puts Hughes away then I pretty much take him over everyone else (except Penn)

Brandon Vera vs Fabricio Werdum - interesting fight

Marcus Davis vs Mike Swick - Davis has looked great, Swick looked bad at his first 170 fight. A year ago I'd have picked otherwise

Chris Leben vs Michael Bisping - Leben's got a solid chin, but I think Bisping picks away and outclasses him to a decision

Nate Marquardt vs Thales Leites

Rashad Evans vs James Irvin - not expecting exciting things

Martin Kampmann vs Jorge Rivera

Jason Lambert vs Luis Cane

Matt Wiman vs Thiago Tavares - I like Matt, but not in this fight

Antoni Hardonk vs Neil Wain - Dude hits hard

Roan Carneiro vs TBA - I don't pick against TBA

Antoni Hardonk vs Neil Wain - Dude kicks hard

Corrected for accuracy. I've never heard of Wain, but those leg kicks of Hardonk's will probably chop him down.

Corrected for accuracy. I've never heard of Wain, but those leg kicks of Hardonk's will probably chop him down.

1) a hit is a kick

2) he's finished with punches.

Dude hits hard

1) a hit is a kick

2) he's finished with punches.

Dude hits hard

Fair enough, but his two UFC wins have basically come by kicks, and some nasty ones at that. Based my comments on those wins.

Jeebus Crackers, Paul Taylor vs Jess Liaudin is a go for this show. 13 fights, biggest PPV in UFC history.

Even though I wouldn't change that night for the world UFC really screwed over Montreal.

I wouldn't say screwed over.

They knew all they needed for an instant sell out was GSP. They need to save more of the marquee matchups for cards that might have trouble selling tickets otherwise.

Okay, I'll be more specific.

UFC knew GSP in the main would sell out easily so they neglected to make anything out of the card, thus we got screwed because UFC knew they could slack and did.

Yeah that's accurate but it's also sorta smart.

I just read that UFC 81 (Lesnar/Mir and Nog/Timmay) only drew 7000 paid despite it's huge PPV numbers. If they have a situation where they are going to sell out no matter what... I don't want to say they should slack off on those cards, but they shouldn't stack them either. Because what happens if they stack a card like Montreal and then just by luck of the draw a Vegas PPV ends up with a shit card. Then they are double fucked.

I know it sucks for you guys up North but I hope you can see what I'm getting at.

Oh yeah. Dana's a businessman at the end of the day and even though it would've been nice to see 83 loaded up like 84 and 85 he needed to better alocate his bigger names.

Eh. Danzig had a solid debut, showed areas of strengths and weaknesses that he can use to improve upon. A good fight for him. Maia upped himself in the division big time by beating Herman. Franklin and MacDonald are sorta just floating so their wins didn't really do anything. Clementi furthered himself after the win over Stout. Bisping looked impressive in beating Chainsaw, a good start for him at 185 and something to build from. Day had a huge debut and put himself in the mix immediately. Cain debuted, which might turn into something for the future. Starnes and Quarry shit the bed and the win just builds Nate to get destroyed somewhere down the line by a real contender.

All in all, not a particularly impactful show, but somewhat relevant as a card to build guys. Guys moved up the ranks. Always good.