TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest VisionNick

A Captain America question......

Guest VisionNick

For all of the Captain America fans out there (I'm not sure if there are many of us left anymore) Who do you like better, Sharon Carter or Diamondback? I think that over the last 15 years those two have been Steve Roger's best romantic interests.

BTW, I have a question for Sassquatch- what issue did Gruenwald write out Diamondback, and for what reason if any? She was always a favorite of mine, and I'd would like to see her come back some day. I never thought much of Sharon Carter,and I always liked Cap better when he was operating independentley of Shield. .

Guest starvenger

Personally, I liked Diamondback better.  The entire idea of the straight arrow Cap and bad girl Diamond was, well, like Spidey and Black Cat, but with chemistry.

Sassquatch, Judas, wasn't it that Diamond went to that women-only island and didn't come back?

Guest Judas14
Sassquatch, Judas, wasn't it that Diamond went to that women-only island and didn't come back?

Wrong storyline and wrong island.

During the "Fighting Chance" storyline, Diamondback left Captain America to go work for Superia (the lady from the all-woman island storyline) when Superia offered to cure the deathly ill Captain America in exchange for Diamondback finishing up the last couple of months on Snapdragon (Superia's bodyguard and Diamondback's archnemesis who Diamondback drowned while in a mentally unbalanced state) work-for-hire contract. Diamondback was last seen near Captain America in "Taking Aim Island", an Avengers/Captain America crossover, which had Diamondback and Superia visiting AIM Island to give Captain America the cure. Unfortunately Captain America refused to take the cure when Superia demanded a future favor and Superia was killed by Red Skull (who took the cure for himself).

Diamondback disappeared immeadiately afterwords with whatever confrontation that went on between the two occurring inbetween issues as Mark Gruenwald quit Cap and had Mark Waid inserted into the roll of writer for Cap in an attempt to raise sales so as to prevent Heroes Reborn from occurring...

Guest areacode212

I enjoyed Sharon during the first Waid run, but overall, I preferred Diamondback for the reason Starvenger gave.

Guest Sassquatch

And now the Gods have come together...

DIAMONDBACK BAYBEE!!!!

Seriuosly, Racheal was a total hottie.  She would have done ANYTHING for Cap.  The garbage.  The windows.  The cleaning.  The cooking.  Up the BUTT..

She was a kinky little minx.  She was all over Cap when she first layed eyes on him.  Cap was such a sucker for not getting on her when she would orgasm at just the SIGHT of him.

Now THAT'S love!

But Mark and Marvel treated her like dogshit from issues #388-441 of Cap.  I mean, they totally fell out of love with her.  When Racheal was kidnapped and forced to be 'Bones' personal oogle slut, that is when Cap and Racheal started to fall apart.  She was never the same after that and kind've drifted away from Cap.  When Racheal killed Snapdragon at the villain fighting tourney, I felt that Mark jumped the shark and was TRYING to piss off D-back fans.  I know I was.  That totally fucked Racheal up, and the relationship between her and Cap was never the same.  Mark made Cap pretty unreadable during his later years and it pains me to say that considering just how much I liked that man.  But when he started to scale back D-back on Cap, that took away something from Cap that made the book interesting.  Some of my favorite Cap stories when Mark was the writer, was when Cap was on adventures with D-back.  They made an awesome couple.  And getting to see Rache and Sersi spar with eachother for Cap was fuckin great!

One of my favorite issues of Cap is when Steve and Racheal go out on a date.

That is one of the most underrated issues EVER!

Spidey NEVER did anything like that with MJ.  Betty was lucky to get Bruce to come home.  And don't even get me started on Scott and Jean...

Issue #371 of Captain America is why I put up with all of the crap that Mark would throw out in later years.  All I would have to do is go back and read that issue just so I could remind myself why I was still buying Cap.

The new Sharon Carter is SUCH a bitch too!  

This is one of the problems I had with Waid's run on Cap.  I use to like the old Sharon better than Racheal for awhile.  But this new "bad gurl" Sharon just totally made me hate her.

And I'm not sure Cap would want to get on Sharon after all that "under cover" work she did in those thrid world shit hole countries...

Guest starvenger

>Spidey NEVER did anything like that with MJ.  Betty was lucky to get Bruce to come home.

Yet they managed to get some.  Maybe Cap should've stayed iggerant and aloof.  Maybe Ultimate Cap will do what Marvel Cap couldn't.  Maybe I should stop with the maybe's.

>And don't even get me started on Scott and Jean...

That Summers family, they've got some real issues.  Their father is doing a skunk, Scott's did two clones of Jean Grey, and married one of them, and later Alex ended up doing her, too.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Do Adam-X and Gambit REALLY want to be related to these guys?

Guest VisionNick

Sassquatch you are SO RIGHT about Diamondback....

She was a good looking bad girl who was desperatley in love with Cap, she would have done anything for him. Remember in one of their first meetings she threatens to crash the ship she was flying because she wanted a date?

She was so cool...

Just like you I too love issue #371. There's something really nice about it. Too bad Cap never really told Diamondback how much he cared for her.

Also, I really hated what Gruenwald did to Rachel during that terrible Cap Wolf story arc, with Crossbones (who was a cool villian) terrorizing her and kidnaping her and starving her and god knows what else he did with her... That was when Cap began to go downhill, and in my opinion never really recovered.

Do you ever think she could be brought back? And does anyone have any thoughts about the new Cap series coming out soon under the Marvel Knights banner?

Guest Sassquatch

True, true.

The difference is this:  When did you actually FEEL connected to Betty & Bruce along with MJ & Peter?

Issue #371 of Cap was THE issue that showed Cap as a normal guy which is VERY tricky to do.  It didn't castrate Cap at all.  He was still the soldier that he was supposed to be while being on a date with this hot chick.

The other couples mentioned above only really fucked, teased eachother, or talked.

That's okay.

But the thing that made Cap and Racheal unique from the others is that...well, it's Cap.  He is Captain America 24/7 and that will never change.  And devoting an entire issue to them going out on a date was something unique.

And I liked the way that Mark would have Black Mamba and Asp interact with Racheal.  It was so real and genuine.  Mark was an old man at this point but he could nail the way that "normal" people would interact with eachother.  

Mark was on FIRE from issues #332-383.  If you all want to know why I praise Mark Gruenwald so much, BUY those issues NOW!

Guest slam

And I thought I was the only one...

Cap & Diamondback 4evah!

Is Diamondback still alive?  It's not too late, is it?

Guest Judas14
And I thought I was the only one...

Cap & Diamondback 4evah!

Is Diamondback still alive?  It's not too late, is it?

Diamondback last appeared in Citizen V #1. In it Hydra kidnapped her, put Nanites into her body, and forced her to steal some research data for them. Baron Zemo caught up with Diamondback and used technology from the V-Battallion to steal the blueprints for how the Nanites were controlling her and as a result fucked up her nervous system and leaving her a shaking, drooling mess. At the end of the issue, Zemo mentions calling for the V-Battallion to pick her up in order to give her medical treatment and she hasn't been seen since....

Guest starvenger

Is it just me, or does it seem like nanites are kind of a fallback item for writers to use when they can't think of anything else to explain something?

Guest super sayan jericho

for some reason everytime i see or hear the word "nanites" all i can think of is Action Man. Also, I'm probably one out of the few who are getting sick and tired of Marvel constantly fucking Racheal over instead of doing something constructive with her.

Guest Judas14
for some reason everytime i see or hear the word "nanites" all i can think of is Action Man. Also, I'm probably one out of the few who are getting sick and tired of Marvel constantly fucking Racheal over instead of doing something constructive with her.

Well look at it this way: they haven't pulled a Sandman on her where she rejoins the Serpent Society and explains to Cap that she never really loved him and was simply using him yet and I think we should thank our lucky stars that no one has thought of doing such a braindead storyline with her yet....