TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Affliction - Banned: Fedor vs. Sylvia

It's on MMAJunkie, The Fight Network and Sherdog that Fedor and Sylvia have come to terms with a joint venture between Mark Cuban's HDNet Fights and Afflictions promotion which is run by Monte Cox to a July 19th bout at the American Airlines Centre. Matt Lindland is supposedly fighting against either Mayhem or Frank Trigg here but I don't know about the validity of the Mayhem rumors as he's a Team Quest member out of Henderson's camp in Cali.

If this pans out, awesome stuff. We finally get to see Fedor taking on what's easily his biggest challenge since Mirko and Sylvia can finally get his chance to prove what he's been saying for years.

EDIT by Mik: Full card:

MAIN CARD (PAY PER VIEW)

Fedor Emelianenko vs. Tim Sylvia

Josh Barnett vs. Pedro Rizzo

Ben Rothwell vs. TBA

Paul Buentello vs. Aleksander Emelianenko*

Matt Lindland vs. Fabio Nascimento

Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Mike Whitehead

PRELIMINARY CARD

Ray Lazama vs. Justin Levens

Mark Hominick vs. Savant Young

J.J. Ambrose vs. Patrick Speight

Brett Cooper vs. Mike Pyle

Hell yes. Great news to come home to.

Ordering HDnet months ago has easily been one of the wisest decisions I have ever made.

Oh, and a huge LOLLERS at Dana for saying he wants to bring in the best. Cro-Cop, Hunt, Aleksander, Barnett, Sylvia, Rothwell, Fedor and Bigfoot are all lurking outside your doors Mr. White and you don't seem to care at all.

Tough to say. I'd wager that Randy is happy either way, if Fedor wins it'll validate Randy's belief that he's the one to fight, if Sylvia pulls out the upset then Randy fights him in HDNet Fights and wins again.

Either way you know it's got to bug him that he's been aiming for this Fedor fight since last summer, and Tim Sylvia got it within 2 weeks since being released from the UFC. It's not like Randys getting any younger, especially with him sitting out for so long.

P.S. Sylvia FEARS BROCK!

Not so fast says Fedor's manager.

I swear, this Vladimir Finkelstein guy is the devil. The fight's probably not going to happen because this guy is going to try to get $7M and a clause that if Fedor wins by armbar he actually gets Timmay's arm as a prize.

Not so fast says Fedor's manager.

I swear, this Vladimir Finkelstein guy is the devil. The fight's probably not going to happen because this guy is going to try to get $7M and a clause that if Fedor wins by armbar he actually gets Timmay's arm as a prize.

What kind of bass ackwards Russian shit is this?

It's not impossible, but it's HIGHLY improbable.

The only way I can see Sylvia winning is his jabbing strategy or a medical stoppage. Fedor's better in every department, and the fact that Nog schooled Sylvia on the ground only further proves the difference in their ground games. Nog could never do anything to Fedor on the ground, yet he beat Sylvia easily there. If the fight hits the ground, Fedor will get his giant-sized armbar like he did to Choi not too long ago. It's possible that Sylvia can cause a cut, but while Fedor has dainty skin, I don't see it happening. It'll either be a decision like Fedor/Schilt, or Fedor Choi/Zulu's him in the first round with huge shots or with an armbar.

I know in a previous thread I defended a promotion making this fight...but I was using a hypothetical for Elite XC with CBS. Not Affliction.

From everything I've heard, this fight will fucking BANKRUPT Affliction. There's no way on HDnets, they'll get enough of an audience for this, and they don't have the market power to advertise this. Fedor will cost around two million HIMSELF, and Sylvia is getting near a million. That's *nuts*. I don't care how much money whoever is backing Affliction is willing to lose. There's no way you can keep that up for long without making serious money back and as of yet, no promotion in America has made any money off MMA beside's UFC.

It's not impossible, but it's HIGHLY improbable.

The only way I can see Sylvia winning is his jabbing strategy or a medical stoppage. Fedor's better in every department, and the fact that Nog schooled Sylvia on the ground only further proves the difference in their ground games. Nog could never do anything to Fedor on the ground, yet he beat Sylvia easily there. If the fight hits the ground, Fedor will get his giant-sized armbar like he did to Choi not too long ago. It's possible that Sylvia can cause a cut, but while Fedor has dainty skin, I don't see it happening. It'll either be a decision like Fedor/Schilt, or Fedor Choi/Zulu's him in the first round with huge shots or with an armbar.

Sorry... MMAth doesn't work.

Tim Sylvia's submission and takedown defense, aswell as his overall MMA skillset isn't leagues above Schlit, Choi, or Zulu... Using those fights as examples isn't helping your case at all.

But since we are using your logic, how about this for you... Nogueria easily submited Cro Cop when he got him to the ground as well, yet Fedor had troubles when he fought Cro Cop.

That goes to so you your logic doesn't work... Every fight is different, plus you add in the factor this is the 1st top 10 fighter, Fedor has faced in how many years?

The official name for this show is now Affliction: Banned

The name comes from the banning of Affliction clothing from UFC shows.

Granted, I haven't seen that fight in ages but I don't exactly remember Fedor having "troubles" with Cro Cop. Yes, Fedor didn't submit Cro Cop but he didn't exactly TRY either. He stayed on top of him and beat on him for awhile. There's also the fact that those two fights with Mirko against Nog and Fedor happened nearly TWO YEARS in between where Cro Cop was training takedown defense and ground defense constantly. When Fedor wanted Cro Cop on the ground, he took him down. Standing, it was all Fedor. In fact he's the guy who exposed Mirko's weaknesses to being pressured in a MMA setting. Ever since then it's been tactic 101 for opponents who beat Mirko.

On the last top ten guy Fedor beat, it depends on who you listen to regarding the rankings at a particular time. When Fedor beat Mark Hunt, Hunt was 5-2 with losses to Yoshida in his MMA debut, and Josh Barnet with wins over Silva, Cro Cop and TK. Some people put him at or near the top ten then. If you disregard Hunt, then the last time he fought a "top ten" was in 2005 when he beat Mirko. I don't exactly hold this against Fedor. In PRIDE, he had no one left to beat outside of Barnett, and since PRIDE's closure he fought twice against Lindland and Choi. Not exactly sterling competition, but really...who all is there beyond Barnett who they can't seem to come to any kind of agreement with? He's already beaten Schilt and I can't really think of any great FA heavyweights until recently.

I can't tell if you're saying Sylvia can win, or agreeing with me. Your point is very poorly made. You also say Sylvia's MMA game "isn't" better then Schilt, Zulu & Choi's. I'm not sure if you mean his IS or if you are agreeing with me. However, if you really think Sylvia will beat Fedor...then you must have some serious love for his jab, because that's all he'll be doing. It's all he's done since 7/8/06 in the third fight with Arlovski. That will not work with Fedor, just like how it did not with Couture.

Looks like the HDNet part of this deal is off.

It turns out it was only going to be the prelims on the network with the PPV portion aired one week later on tape delay, but as I said, that's off.

I thought it was free but I'll pay for this if the rest of the card is half decent.