Warriorfan

Announced Round By Round scoring in MMA

Round by Round scoring in MMA  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be RD by RD scoring in MMA

• YES
    • NO
    • PRIDE Scoring

There is a great deal of drama added to a fight by having the scores all revealed at the end; but given the debacle that took place last night with the Rampage vs Griffin decision it may be best to announce the scores at the end of each round.

Won't happen. I don't know how it affects the results of your poll due to clear evidence in the UFC 86 thread that you're REALLY bent about Rampage losing. But sorry, yeah. Doubt it.

It's an awful idea.

Announced scoring has the ability to suck the life out of a crowd. It's better not knowing. Allowing drama to build up round after round is good.

Encourages fighters to not engage late in fights. No thanks.

PRIDE scoring uses similar criteria that UFC does like damage and control but the #1 thing they rank is effort to finish the fight, something I have always agreed with.

Also, judges make their decision on the overall match rather than a round-by-round scorecard. Hence, a fighter that was beaten by a small margin in the first 2 rounds can still win a decision by dominating the final round.

I'm a PRIDE fanboy, but there were only a few fights in PRIDE that I saw a decision for that I felt was very wrong. The two most people bring up are Arona/Silva II and Nog/Ricco but both can be defended under the critera PRIDE judges looked at.

PRIDE judges looked for everything judging in America did, but they didn't favor the Takedown half as much (I believe they just considered it a "change of positions" or something to that affect) and looked more on what happened once there. So unless your opponent did *nothing*, then taking down someone and holding them didn't work too well in PRIDE usually. And like Curry said, an attempt to finish a fight meant alot. Be it strikes or a close submission, a couple of them would help someone win significantly. There was also the fact that the fight as a whole was judged. Dan Henderson made it his trademark..."lose" rounds 1 and 2, and then come out like a bat out of hell for round three and win the fight due to fighting so well.

People like to mention "Biasness" in PRIDE, but the judges were usually very fair. It was the fucking refs (Shimoda~!) who were inherently biased against anyone not Japanese.

Time to get off my soap box...

I really didn't understand the point of this thread until others clarified it. This is a horrible idea. The reason being, that if they KNOW they won rounds 1 and 2, then 90% of fighters in UFC won't go a goddamn thing in the final round. It'll be like an inverse Machida. He does just enough to win the first two rounds, and then makes sure he wins round three. Fighters will fight like hell for two rounds, and then just...coast for the final round. And the final round is supposed to be the most important. You'd be giving fighters passes and you'd see *ALOT* of shitty decisions.

The 10-9 format as it is encourages decisions. All you got to do is fight like hell for ten minutes out of fifteen and you win. If anyone actually goes out to win, it's due to their own mentality and not what's encouraged.

If anything bothers me about scorecard decisions, it's when the guy that makes the "Shit, I lost..." body motions is declared the winner. It made me feel awkward about the outcomes in the Bisping-Hamill and Rampage-Forrest matches.

The fighters that rely on the "66% Balls Out, 33% Backpedal" strategy ruin scorecard judging. Maybe a more aggressive penalty system for unwillingness to engage would cure that.

I also think that Wand/Arona 2 was a bit of a snowjob. I had Arona winning that decision pretty easily when I watched it.

If we want overall fight scoring, we're going to need better MMA judges. If these guys mess up something as simple as 10-9 rounds, they aren't going to be able to score an entire fight right. Get Big John, Dan Severn and maybe Eddie Bravo or something to judge fights

I remember Silva/Arona 2 being pretty close. What I think caused the judges to sway, is Arona pulled guard in the final minute. Normally PRIDE judges wouldn't mind that, but in the final minute of the main event for the title, I think they didn't like that move at all. It showed a severe lack of wanting to win, and just to get the decision. If I remember, the result was pretty much razor thin too. That was probably the deciding factor.

On Ninja/Dan...that fight is awesome. Dan was the *KING* of the final round come around. He beat the fuck out of Ninja in that final round, and finished far stronger then Ninja did. Regardless of who won, I think that was one of the first PRIDE cards I saw (Started with...16 I think), and it was awesome.