TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nate

Primetime Disscussion Thread

I know there is no TNT or Primetime right now, I figured since those shows are weekly to keep things combined

I'll leave this in Al's hands but perhaps one thread for Primetime / TNT / OTHER - I don't think an episode of Wrestling Challenge deserves it's own thread and the SNME's are shown so far apart.

I'll leave this in Al's hands but perhaps one thread for Primetime / TNT / OTHER - I don't think an episode of Wrestling Challenge deserves it's own thread and the SNME's are shown so far apart.

yea that sounds like a good idea, same thing with the documentary DVDs, now what about the Old School shows from MSG, Boston, etc..

If someone has something particularly interesting to say about an old school show, something two paragraphs or longer, it can merit its own thread. SNMEs should generally get their own thread.

Guest heyguesswhatidid

Watching the Challenge, it is cool to see the first ever Hall of Fame hype video for Andre the Giant.

Also, Perfect/Brawler was pretty good.

Evil Doink is coming out, should be awesome.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that was the last episode hosted by Monsoon/Heenan . . . if you don't count the Las Vegas special.

I remember getting up super early on Sundays when I was a kid to go to church. They had a 8:30 service and a 11:00 service. Challenge started at 10. If I went to the early service, I'd be home in time to see most of the show. If it was late service, a segment or two tops and just a plain bummer to have to leave while the show was still going on.

The new Prime Time episode was good. Featured Honky defending the IC title against Tito Santana. It also focused some time on Savage's anger at HTM for claiming he was the best IC champ of all-time. Mike McGuirk was in the broadcast booth with Gorilla for the matches and God, was she atrocious. Definitely better as an announcer.

Interesting bit as Gorilla and Heenan keep talking about this being the first Prime Time episode at its new day on Thursday. It's funny, I started watching Prime Time in mid-87 and I never remember them airing on Thursday. Must have been a short-lived experiment.

I watched the opening (basically just to see that the program worked) and Monsoon certainly didn't seem thrilled about the Thursday air date. I don't know what the point of that being a character trait would be, so I just assumed it was Monsoon being himself (but then I read that Heenan keeps pestering him about it throughout the show, so maybe it was just a scripted thing).

Having now watched the entire Prime Time show to see how the "Thursday" angle was played (where Monsoon comes around to think it's great and Bobby is on the phone trying to get them back on Monday), I thought this was a great edition of the show in terms of Heenan / Monsoon conflict. Also (and not to rip SKeith off for those that read his review of the show) it was pretty neat to see Young Hat Guy in his loud Hawaiian shirt (but no hat!) in the audience for whichever match was from Philly. Monsoon also introduced the first match of the show (Demolition vs. JYD/Animal Steele) as a "main event anywhere in the country". I love it when he says that.

I remember a PTW ep where Monsoon happily announced that they would be bumped to Friday due to the Westminster Dog Show to which Heenan gets pissed off. Monsoon just chuckles as only he can.

I'm fast-fowarding through almost all of the in-ring "action" so far. The studio segments are quality, as usual, but the matches are worse than usual. The Rock and Bass? Lombardi and Not-Superfly Snuka? The motherfucking Shadows? S.D. Jones (again?!). Yikes. Not to mention the first two "update" segments were total rehashes of footage they showed last week.

Anyone watch the new Prime Time this week? Monsoon and Heenan are always gold but on this week's episode, they're even funnier than usual. They're on from beginning to end. Liked the bit where Monsoon told Heenan to stop showing his "horrid kisser" from the cover of the WWF Magazine. Another funny bit is Heenan saying that Virgil asked Jacque Rougeau whether he wanted to buy a hockey puck.

"Sure, I'm from Canada. I'll be a half-dozen hockey pucks."

The Prime Time banter is indeed quite enjoyable this week.

When they were showing The Islanders attacking Tito at the Spanish broadcast position, I was really hoping the table would somehow get busted to show us the origins of that spot, but it was not to be.

I look forward to more updates on the Piledriver album. I've seen it multiple times on the net, but just getting 10 seconds of the Piledriver video on TV was highly amusing.

Damn, the Fuji/Muraco team were so freaking funny. Until 24/7, I never knew how funny Don Muraco was in interviews and skits.

FINALLY, we've got mention of Survivor Series on Primetime. Pretty cool they knew the card almost two months ahead of time. That kind of foresight is certainly an extinct art in wrestling today.

And is it a requisite we get an S.D. Jones match every week? I've never seen so much of Special Delivery as I have in the last year of ordering 24/7.

Funny they spent two months hyping it and followed it up by not mentioning it at all after the event. That weekend, they started hyping up the Slammies and didn't give Survivor Series a 2nd thought until the next year's Survivor Series.

This weeks PTW had a lot of subtle gay jokes, such as during the Steve Lombardi match, Gorilla says "Lombardi came from the wrestling school of Terry Garvin and Pat Patterson", and of course the Piledrive video they showed is just blatently gay.

Damn, the Fuji/Muraco team were so freaking funny. Until 24/7, I never knew how funny Don Muraco was in interviews and skits.

If Muraco and Fuji were wrestling now, the skits would have made them so popular they would have become faces.

Funny bit from PrimeTime was Heenan completely running down Hogan's team, saying Bam Bam looked like a broken bic lighter and Superstar looked as they he swallowed a skunk.

Two Steve Lombardi matches on Prime Time? What, were they considering a jobber to the stars elimination match for Survivor Series or something?

It feels like the WWF Magazine w/ Heenan on the cover has been out for 3 months in PTW time. I know on the Challenge shows during this time, Heenan tirelessly would plug the magazine every chance he'd get even saying "I'm on the cover" just as the show would fade to black. Tremendous.

God bless torrents for letting me download many of these PTWs.

I should note I mark for every time Gorilla refers to someone as "a piece of garbage"

The new TNT is up. The show features Adrian Adonis again getting dressed up throughout the show. Nice job of Vince to bring out Bruno Sammartino and pretty much bury Adonis for his conditioning.

This week's PTW is worth watching if for nothing other than the Piledriver video. The sudden and completely random Vince McMahon as "one of the boys" near the end and the look on his face is priceless.