TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest cartman

Building my own PC

Guest cartman

I'm looking to build myself a new computer and I have a pretty good idea of how to go about doing so. Yet I would love some advice on how I should go about it. Post suggestions and personal experiences if you want, I would love to hear how you people have done this, if any of you have.

Things like which sites to use, where to buy parts, what brands are best value and not insanely expensive, things to watch out for, etc.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

Guest razazteca

AMD is cheaper than Intel in CPU cost

don't buy expensive sound board unless you intend to buy expensive speakers

is spending $400 on a graphics card really necessary? why not buy a Xbox or PS2 for half the cost.

do you really need the newest technology out?

Guest Heavy As Hell

If you are looking for a system that is not gonna be used for really intense applications or heavy gaming, get a system based on the Via C3 processor. The One I'm using right now does everything i need it to (plays videos, music, internet, light gaming). Plus it uses very little power and runs insanely cold (My comp has been on for the better part of 3 days non stop and the proc. running at less than 30 degress celsius.)

Plus they are cheap as hell.

Guest EMAXSAUN

Buy your stuff from Http://www.pricewatch.com/, when I built my comp, I ordred all my parts from there. Pricewatch is a wholesale computer listing site, its great.

Personally, Building it wasn't too hard. I had a guide fomr Maximum PC that was simple to follow, but to get all the kinks out took a while, but after a week it was running well.

Guest razazteca

The magazine PC Upgrade has a great issue out about everything you need to know about building a PC. It even has a layouts of a motherboard with everything labeled.

Guest Bannable Offense

I'm been wanting to make my own PC but the only thing holding me back is my lack of knowledge in installing an OS onto a new hard drive.

I'm intrigued on the magazine razazteca mentioned, so I may have to keep a lookout for that.

Guest razazteca

I got mine at Wal Mart, its also available at mall book stores. It cost about $6.

It explains almost everything from why you need heat sinks and which is the best to running bench marks on the motherboard.

Guest DrTom
I'm been wanting to make my own PC but the only thing holding me back is my lack of knowledge in installing an OS onto a new hard drive.

1. Make sure you've backed up data you need off the old hard drive (or can slave it in to the new box).

2. Boot the PC with a full version OS CD in the CD drive. You may need to adjust the boot priority in BIOS so that the CD drive checks before the hard drive.

3. Use the CD to format the drive and install the OS. If you're installing XP, use the NTFS file system for its greater efficiency over FAT32.

4. Go thru the reboots, making sure to eject the CD right before the first one. If the process needs it again, it'll ask you for it.

Guest Hogan Made Wrestling

If you shop around you can get everything at a good price. I got a GeForce 3 Ti for something like 50 bucks.

Guest cartman

I found Pricewatch a while back and that's where I plan on buying the parts. Great prices!

Also i'm definitely trying to buils a comp that cand handle high-end gaming(Yea I have a PS2 but there are some comp only games I love to play).

Thanks for all the info thus far I appreciate it!

Guest hardyz1

I've been dying to build my own PC, but I've been held back by lack of money. Someday it will happen.