Sign in to follow this  
Guest Frank_Nabbit

Firefighter Steals from WTC

Guest Frank_Nabbit

WTC ghoul told cops of haul

By BARBARA ROSS

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Wednesday, February 25th, 2004

A retired city firefighter accused of stealing items from the wreckage of the World Trade Center bragged to undercover cops that he found a human head, diamonds and gold - but took only "minor things."

A jury heard Samuel Brandon's admission on tape yesterday as his trial started in Manhattan Criminal Court on 11 counts of petty larceny.

State police Investigator Tracey Andriphak testified that she and Investigator Brian Shortall went to Brandon's home in upstate Ellenville posing as prospective buyers after they got a report he had "human remains" on the property.

Diane Weeb, a Sullivan County resident, said police learned of Brandon's ghoulish souvenirs after she toured his home in May 2002 and later told friends about seeing a framed picture of the ex-firefighter at Ground Zero with a human hip bone.

"A lot of people took a lot of things but I don't touch anything," Brandon is heard saying in June 2002 to the undercover cops. "I found diamonds. I found gold. ... I just stick to minor things like doorknobs."

He admitted that he expected the trinkets to be "very valuable down the road."

Brandon said he turned in the body parts that he found, including a human head, for DNA testing. He insisted he took no personal items.

But prosecutors contend he swiped seven IDs, a wedding photo, a mangled radio and a coin. The IDs belonged to Cantor Fitzgerald and Port Authority workers, including two killed in the Sept. 11 attack, authorities said.

Guest FrigidSoul

as long as the jewels had no engravements I would see no big deal. The government would just confiscate them anyways and auction them off.

He should have turned in the IDs and wedding photo, however doorknobs, a mangled radio and ONE FUCKING COIN are fine...all would have gone to the dump anyways.