TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MarvinisaLunatic

Bananas are going bye bye

Someone save the bananas!

Below the headlines about rocketing food prices and rocking governments, there lays a largely unnoticed fact: Bananas are dying. The foodstuff, more heavily consumed even than rice or potatoes, has its own form of cancer. It is a fungus called Panama Disease, and it turns bananas brick-red and inedible.

There is no cure. They all die as it spreads, and it spreads quickly. Soon -- in five, 10 or 30 years -- the yellow creamy fruit as we know it will not exist.

!!!!!

Im gonna go and buy a couple, dehydrate them and stick em in the freezer. They'll be worth serious money in a few years when they're all gone.

Guest Desensitized

You should meet up with EricMM and do lunch. This sounds like more doomsday scaremongering to me.

Guest Vitamin X

Pineapples are going to be a bitch too, but that's because the global food market is going downhill and people will concentrate more and more on local and seasonal foods.

However, I would really miss the noble banana, with all its potassium. I hope this isn't affecting plantains too- that would piss me the fuck off as someone who makes Cuban food and one of its main staples, fried plantains.

Guest Desensitized

You ignorant lunk, this was debunked on Snopes like a year and a half ago.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I'm not a huge plantain fan. They're ok when done simply. I had them curried when I was in jamaica. Strange strange taste combination. Not as good as conch pizza.

Guest Vitamin X

Fried plantains in a good oil is fucking delicious.It depends on how ripe it is, but believe me, if done right, it tastes like heaven.

I'd like to get my hands on some conch pizza, though. Sounds interesting.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Jamaicans eat the fuck out of pizza. Don't know how it is in the rest of the caribbean, but they adapt it to local ingredients. Pineapple and shrimp, conch, jerk chicken, callaloo, fresh fruit with curry spices..weird as hell to the uninitiated, but surprising pleasant.

Jamaican traditional food is kind of..afro-british.

Guest Epic Narcissism
You ignorant lunk, this was debunked on Snopes like a year and a half ago.

Well someone needs to tell Seattle's Newspaper that.

You're correct. Someone should call them out for shoddy journalism. Something about bananas with fish heads was in there. Way to not understand gene splicing.

You should still freeze some bananas, though, because frozen bananas are tasty treats.