TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JJ Johnson

Woks are the shit.

I got a wok last year, and I've used that thing obsessively. It's incredible. What do you guys cook in your woks? I usually just do stir-fry, but hey, new ideas is kind of what the food folder is for.

I've given a wok as a gift, but I've never owned one for myself (much like a garlic slicer, which I want one of my own).

What is it good for, besides stir fry? I'm feeling low-fat, (seafood-friendly) vegan cuisine these days, so what would you recommend?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I just cook really spicy meat and throw it on noodles with a little broth. I probably eat that three or four times per week.

I got a wok last year, and I've used that thing obsessively. It's incredible. What do you guys cook in your woks? I usually just do stir-fry, but hey, new ideas is kind of what the food folder is for.

I'm Asian so... yeah, the wife and I use it for a lot of stuff. Saute veg? Yep. Steam a whole fish? Yep. As a "deep" fryer? Done that too. Fried eggs? Too messy - we use a nonstick for that stuff. Hamburger Helper? That too, but only once as I discovered that HH is pretty gross.

Just as a side note, that "grease that wok" thing is pretty true if you've got the cheap variety (and really, you don't need anything more expensive) - it's similar to curing your cast iron pot. You need to coat that sucker with oil periodically and sit it on a burner so that the oil sinks in. Especially if you throw in something with high acid like tomatoes.

Guest Vitamin X

Woks are the next thing I really need to buy- I've been using a pretty big nonstick aluminum skillet for Asian cooking, which I like to do quite often (tofu dishes, bitches!) so it would be nicer for stir fry stuff. Less messy, that's for sure.

Guest Jesus Freaks on Coke

I'm opening a hip fusion restaurant that specializes in North African stir fry. I'm calling it Wok Like An Egyptian.

I'm opening a hip fusion restaurant that specializes in North African stir fry. I'm calling it Wok Like An Egyptian.

This made me laugh so hard I started choking on the bit of cookie I'd taken a bite out of.

Just as a side note, that "grease that wok" thing is pretty true if you've got the cheap variety (and really, you don't need anything more expensive) - it's similar to curing your cast iron pot.

That's awesome, although I was actually quoting lyrics to a Weird Al type cover of Walk by Pantera that I wrote during my salad days. Good advice, though.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Puke.