TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Downhome

Can WWE take Japanese wrestlers seriously?

Guest Downhome

As I sit here and think of the WWE's roster, trying to think of any Japanese guys, it's hard pressing. The only two I can think of are Funaki and Tajiri, both of whom are total comedy acts if I'm not mistaken. Then I try to think throught WWE and the WWF's history, and I am even more hard pressed to think of any FORMER Japanese stars. I have Hakushi (I forget how to spell his more well known name), Taka, The Orient Express, Mr. Fuji, and I think that about covers it, and no...

...Yokozua doesn't count, as he was only under the GIMMICK of being Japanese.

Now I must ask you, why in the hell is this? It certainly isn't because of the language barrier, as I'm sure there are Japanese guys who can speak perfect English but still wouldn't be pushed. Funaki, I'm looking at you! How could WWF, at the time, have Hakushi on their roster and not do more with him? Or hell, Funaki, Taka, and Tajiri! It just blows me away at the misuse of these fantastic talents. Why must basicly EVERY Japanese stars that show up have one of two gimmicks. One, the evil Japanese guy, or two, the crazy funny man.

At least WCW went out and used any stars from Japan that they got a hold of in the right way, most of the time (exclding when Russo got his hands on them). They had The Yung Dragons and pushed them, pushed and used Muta, Liger, Ultimo, Chono, and many other guys!

Why has WWE failed to ever utilize the talent that could be of use to them? I'm not saying they are racist, so don't get me wrong. It just confuses me how seemingly can not come up with anything better to do with them. I mean, afterall...

...Vince is a genious isn't he?

Sincerely,

...Downhome...

Guest Angle is Wrestling

Can they? YES

Will they? NO

In the WWE's vision, japanese wrestlers are just guys who smile, nod, and scream in japanese, and then go in the ring and job to everyone.

Guest Anglesault

I want to see the guy who finishes you with the "Talk to the Hand" gesture.

And yes, they could be used better. But on average, they seem to be smaller guys, and you all SCREAM for them to be put in the Death Trap divison, which even id it WAS pushed, creates to much of a caste around the guy.

Guest Cataclysm911

Well, Tenryu & his partner beat Demolition at an early Wrestlemania..

Guest CanadianChick

WWE always plays on stereotypes like that. Note: Guererro, Eddy and Guererro, Chavo(based on last weeks interview)

Guest Downhome
Can they? YES

Will they? NO

In the WWE's vision, japanese wrestlers are just guys who smile, nod, and scream in japanese, and then go in the ring and job to everyone.

That's exactly right, but WHY is that? Am I alone in truly thinking that they could get over if just given the chance? I mean, would it be SO BAD to allow Funaki to "speak on ANYTHING"? The guy is from Texas, must his nationality keep him from progressing in WWE? If they don't want him to talk out of nowhere after so long of being under the gimmick of not being able to, why don't they at least do something where he gets tired of the Japanese stars not having chances, so he decides to "learn" English in order to talk for his people. They can do skits of him learning or whatever, and it can be funny while they do that, but THEN just let him have a serious gimmick, and he can be in a stable with Tajiri and whoever else and just be SERIOUS. *sigh*

Guest RavishingRickRudo

The Wwf is and always have been racist.

Have you ever heard a japanese wrestler NOT coming out to stereotypical japanese music?

Which is really funny, because on several occasions (4 by my count) the Wwf has tried to pair up with a Japanese wrestling promotion with hopes of running a dome show.

Guest Nevermortal

What I want to know is why aren't there any Japanese-American wrestlers?

I mean, you always have the guys from Japan cast in the oh so stereotypical roles that we're used to, but heck, have you ever seen an Asian-American in a major federation?

Or is that bad? Would that shatter the stereotype of every Japanese wrestler not being able to speak english?

Guest Downhome
WWE always plays on stereotypes like that. Note: Guererro, Eddy and Guererro, Chavo(based on last weeks interview)

This has nothing to do with my topic, but I must ask you. Was anyone else sorta thrown off track with the Eddy stuf with apparently being an abusive father? I've had many of my latino friends who were very insulted at that being said, not to mention his heavy accent.

Guest Downhome

I mean, you always have the guys from Japan cast in the oh so stereotypical roles that we're used to, but heck, have you ever seen an Asian-American in a major federation?

Or is that bad? Would that shatter the stereotype of every Japanese wrestler not being able to speak english?

Hell, if they DID have a Japanese-American, we wouldn't be able to tell it as they would MAKE them out to be the evil guy from overseas. Is Funaki from America, or did he come here from Japan to live?

Guest CanadianChick

I thought is was a little low to say that Eddy was an abusive father. I don't think that they were saying that all Latinos are like that, though. BUt I can see how your friends were offended.

Guest Nevermortal

Hell, if they DID have a Japanese-American, we wouldn't be able to tell it as they would MAKE them out to be the evil guy from overseas. Is Funaki from America, or did he come here from Japan to live?

Eh, we'd probably be able to tell if his name was like Joe Nobunaga or something like that.

An Asian American star would kick some ass. I mean, they could for once, maybe, uphold the tradition of good Japanese wrestling, with good mic skills.

Guest Downhome

Eh, we'd probably be able to tell if his name was like Joe Nobunaga or something like that.

An Asian American star would kick some ass. I mean, they could for once, maybe, uphold the tradition of good Japanese wrestling, with good mic skills.

I wish CIMA would all of a sudden learn perfect English. :D :o :D

Guest CanadianChick
I wish CIMA would all of a sudden learn perfect English. :D :o :D

who;s CIMA?

Guest RavishingRickRudo

Vince loves big guys.

Japanese wrestlers are traditionally strong.

Vince loves big white (european) guys.

Japenese wrestlers are traditionally Japanese.

Vince loves bland, predictable, watered down wrestlers who only follow the wwf fast paced brawling style.

Japanese wrestlers traditionally are good.

Good enuff fer ya?

It has been established in the past that Vince has a 'thing' for WWII (Hell, look at the InVasion promo..all WWII stuff), so maybe he has a historical bias against the Japanese.

Guest art_vandelay
Is Funaki from America, or did he come here from Japan to live?

Funaki is from Japan, he only moved to the US a few years ago, and judging by his appearances on Confidential, his Engrish SUCKS. But there's always hope for FNK, baby!!

And I think Jinsei Shinzaki (Hakushi) sucks for the most part. The WWE seems to use a lot of stereotypes for their characters, perhaps they're still stuck in the 80's-mid90's era of gimmicks when it comes to foreigners.

EDIT: Ricky Steamboat (Hawaiian) was about as close as you got to an Asian-American in the WWF.

Guest Nevermortal

I wish CIMA would all of a sudden learn perfect English.  :D  :o  :D

who;s CIMA?

CIMA Nobunaga, of Crazzy (FUCKING FUCKING FUCKING) Maxx. He wrestles for the Toryumon promotion.

He's tremendous.

Guest CanadianChick

who;s CIMA?

CIMA Nobunaga, of Crazzy (FUCKING FUCKING FUCKING) Maxx. He wrestles for the Toryumon promotion.

He's tremendous.

Do ya think that I could get my hands on a tape of him for a cheap price?

Guest Downhome

who;s CIMA?

He's tremendous.

Call me a sucker for him, but to me his is the most charismatic Japanese wrestler ever. I mean, damn, his catch phras is "suck my d*ck" if I'm not mistaken, lol. I also love his palm thrusts, and I wish SOMEONE in WWE would do stuff like that.

Guest Downhome
I figured someone would've stolen his Iconoclasm already.

Didn't Yang do that in WCW? Here are some of his moves...

1) Shubain(Side tombstone driver, similar to the Air Raid Crash or a reverse Emerald Frosion)

2) Iconoclasm (reverse overhead crucifix bomb with opponent on 2nd rope)

3) Goriconoclasm (Cross arm variation of the Iconoclasm)

4) Perfect Driver (Opponents legs are crossed and is hoisted up and dropped into a Falcon Arrow)

5) Venus (Leaping palm strike, usually is followed by an Iconoclasm)

6) Mad Splash (Frog Splash)

7) Tornado Plancha (Twisting dive to the floor)

...in case any of you are wondering! Also, for the record, he is one of Ultimo Dragon's students, so that should tell you something right there.

lilcima.jpg

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

I think this begins and ends with one simple thing:

The WWE doesn't take anything not homegrown seriously.

WCW guys? Buried.

ECW guys? Buried.

Their are few WWE guys to get any kind of favorable treatment:

HHH, Taker, Nash and guys like that don't count...because they were nothing in WCW...and the WWE made them.

Jericho? Won the world title....look at me now...

Benoit, Eddy? Surviving on talent alone...don't get much help though.

RVD? If Heyman didn't protect him with his life...RVD would be screwed.

Booker T? Took a year for them to give him the first thing that almost resembles a push.

JApanese wrestlers would be treated the same way.

Guest Downhome

WCW guys? Buried.

ECW guys? Buried.

HHH, Taker, Nash and guys like that don't count...because they were nothing in WCW...and the WWE made them.

Booker T? Took a year for them to give him the first thing that almost resembles a push.

That is a very good point. Sad, but true, and sadly a true point indeed. I wish WWE wasn't like that thought. Look at how WCW was, they didn't give a damn where they came from as long as they could help their company in some way. From Hogan to Rave to any of the Japanese guys, they pushed them all in their own ways.

Guest Nevermortal

WCW guys? Buried.

ECW guys? Buried.

bps proves once again why he's the most valuable poster on here. You hit the nail right on the goddamn head.

Guest AndrewTS

Yes they can. It would, however, have to be a wrestler who is fairly tall--maybe 6'2" or 6'3" at least...whose a HOSS BAH GAHD...speaks fluent English and has excellent mic skills, and can stand to fight the uphill battle against politics.

So...don't expect it for a long time.

Guest undisputedjericho
lilcima.jpg

Now I know who that scar over the eye tattoo is for in No Mercy!

(I've heard of CIMA once, in Promotion Wars like a year ago....)

Edit: Is CIMA like TAKA? Just a regular name but all capitolised?

Guest bps "The Truth" 21

Actually...Japanese wrestlers may have it worse.

Brining them in, no matter how good an angle or how much money could be made...would mean the WWE would have to recognize that they are not the only promotion in the world.

They only do that when they are real desperate (making fun of WCW and bringing ECW talent on RAW when ratings were shit)

They are back into the "WWE is the beginning and end of pro wrestling" groove again.

someone thinks I'm valuable!

WOOOOO!!!

Time to postwhore!

Guest Downhome
lilcima.jpg

Now I know who that scar over the eye tattoo is for in No Mercy!

(I've heard of CIMA once, in Promotion Wars like a year ago....)

Edit: Is CIMA like TAKA? Just a regular name but all capitolised?

I am not the guy that should really answer, but as far as the name being capotilized, I was told that it means that said wrestler is a heel. I don't know how much truth is to that, but it's what I was told quite some time ago. (Now you can make CIMA in No Mercy, wooooooooooo!)

Guest Downhome
Actually...Japanese wrestlers may have it worse.

Brining them in, no matter how good an angle or how much money could be made...would mean the WWE would have to recognize that they are not the only promotion in the world.

They only do that when they are real desperate (making fun of WCW and bringing ECW talent on RAW when ratings were shit)

They are back into the "WWE is the beginning and end of pro wrestling" groove again.

someone thinks I'm valuable!

WOOOOO!!!

Time to postwhore!

What if WWE somehow got ahold of a young Japanese-American here, and groomed him as they have with Brock, Cena, and the rest of those guys. Do you think in THAT situation they would then give one a TRUE chance?

(How does it feel to feel valuable here, I really wish to know! :P :D :P )