TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest JMA

WrestleMania II

Guest JMA

I've heard people in the past say the Hogan/Bundy cage match at WM II wasn't a good main event. Therefore, if you had the book, what would you have done for the main event?

Guest JHawk

Hogan vs Piper in a cage. The feud had lasted over a year at that point and was absolutely begging for a payoff.

Guest JMA
Hogan vs Piper in a cage. The feud had lasted over a year at that point and was absolutely begging for a payoff.

I agree. That would have been an awesome match. It's a shame Piper never held the World title.

Guest JHawk

The only problem is I'm not Piper would have agreed to do the job. He even admitted in his book that he always refused a pinfall loss to Hogan because he wanted to keep his spot.

Still, that would have been my main event.

Guest Dynamite Kido

I say Hogan vs. Piper (Cage match) or

Hogan vs. Orndorff (Cage)

Guest DarkHollywood

Only problem was Orndorff was still a babyface for about 3-4 months, so that main event wouldn't make sense unless you changed the ending of WM 1, and what happend after the main event, and changed around more storylines like Piper/Orndorff etc. etc.

Hogan/Bundy was good enough of a main event. Bundy was pretty over for a big fat talentless heel, and sticking ANYONE versus Hogan made the match that much more important to fan.

Guest Your Olympic Hero

I'd go with Hogan vs. Piper as well in a bloody cage match with Hogan getting the clean win and the Piper face turn afterward.

Guest Stunt Granny

They should have done the Orndorff heel turn before Wrestlemania, then BAMF cage match main event at 2.

Guest Boo_Bradley

Jerry Blackwell was rumored to be one option Vince explored when trying to make WM 2's ME. Blackwell remained loyal to Verne instead.

Guest Hass of Pain

Hogan vs. Piper for sure. It could have been the most successful program of all time if egos hadn't have gotten in the way. Hogan could have pinned Piper with inteference from Orndorff costing Piper the match, and then afterwards Orndorff could have punked out Hogan, completely decimated him and then Piper could have saved Hogan, resulting in a face Piper who didn't lose much heat, a super heel in Orndorff and Hogan still holding the title.

Guest Boo_Bradley

The Piper/Hogan program had run its course by WM 2, their fued started in the fall of 84 if I'm not mistaken. Spring 86 is when WM 2 occured.

Guest WrestlingDeacon

I think one of the original ideas was to have Hogan face Don Muraco. Hogan had a match with Muraco on a SNME that ended with Bundy interference and him destroying Hulk's ribs and that lead to the Wrestlemania 2 cage match.

It was too late for Hogan-Piper and too early for Hogan-Orndorf. At the time I was hoping for Hogan-Savage since Savage was my favorite wrestler and he got the best matches out of Hogan up to that point (and maybe ever if you jump forward to their WM5 match).

Sure would have beat Hogan-Bundy and Savage-Steele...

Guest JAxlMorrison

I wouldn't have had that ridiculous "3 different locations" horseshit. I probably would've pulled the trigger on Hogan-Andre a year early.

Guest Boo_Bradley

I believe the 3 different locations plan was a reaction to Starcade 85 being held at 3 different arenas, so McMahon had not only 3 arenas, but 3 arenas in the USA's 3 biggest cities (LA, Chi-town, New Yawk)

When WWE mentions WM, they mentioned WM I with Hogan / Mr T. Vs. Piper / Orndoff and WM III with Hogan Vs. Andre.

They really never mention anything about WM II, making it seem like it was the "lost" WM.

from what I remember, Hogan-Orndorff did end in cage matches around the country... the last match sequence being Hogan imitating what Orndorff did to him when he turned heel, from raising the arm in "victory" to a pretty good rendition of Orndorff's piledriver.

Guest Choken One
When WWE mentions WM, they mentioned WM I with Hogan / Mr T. Vs. Piper / Orndoff and WM III with Hogan Vs. Andre.

They really never mention anything about WM II, making it seem like it was the "lost" WM.

That is because along with WM15...WM2 had no defining Moment or image...Maybe you can make a case for Perry/Studd...

WM1: First Mania...The Main Event Showdown...Hogan's enterance

WM2: Nothing

wm3: Hogan/Andre staredown....Hogan slams Andre

wm4: Trump at ringside...Hogan slams Dibiase with Chair...Andre choking Buckner

WM5: Savage/Hogan

WM6: Andre turns on Bobby...Warrior wins...Hogan/Warrior embrace

wm7: Eliz and Randy reunite

wm8: Savage wins...Eliz kisses bloody randy...Hogan retires...Warrior returns...

wm9: The Out door arena...JR in toga...Hogan wins 5th title

wm10: Owen Upsets...Shawn's Splash off ladder...Bret on shoulders of Lex Luger and others...Owen's Blank stare

wm11: L.T...Pam Anderson with Nash

Wm12: Shawn's enterance...Shawn's Boyhood dream comes true pose

WM13: Blood from a stone

WM14: Kane's Tombstone on Rose...Austin wins...Tyson decks HBK

WM15: Nothing

WM16: HHH shocks the world

WM17: Jeff's Swanton...Austin's bloody face...Austin's turn

Wm18: Rock/Hogan

Wm19: Lesnar's SSP

You mean Andre choking out Bob Eucker.

And I've seen the image of Hogan standing atop the cage and ripping his shirt from Wrestlemania II tons of times in clips and such. You can tell that's where it's from because he has the ribs taped. The problem with two is the overkill on celebrities and locales. Also, the talent got stretched a little thin over the three venues and that leads to some really weak matches, like Roberts vs. Wells and Uncle Elmer vs. Adrian Adonis.

Guest Graham R Tripp

I also agree with Dmann2000. The Bulldogs vs Dream Team match will go down as one of the best WWF tag matches of that era and also stands out as a great WM match as well.

I don't really have any problems with Hogan-Bundy from a booking standpoint. From March 85 to the SNME in which Bundy jumped Hogan, Bundy dominated everyone he faced - save for Andre and Hogan in singles matches (which I don't believe were televised nationally).

So you have the huge unbeatable Bundy, who already sent Hogan to the hospital once, against the world champion, who was still suffering rib injuries, in a steel cage match. Bundy would have to be favored by many due to his size and health advantages - even if he only held the title briefly.

As far as who else would have been a credible top contender at that point...

Since the Wrestling Classic wasn't THAT far in the past, it would have been easy to pull off Hogan vs. Piper in a blowoff. Maybe even involve Orndorff and Bob Orton Jr. as corner men and then have the Orndorff heel turn after if not during the match. Then have Piper make the save - but make it look like it was just Piper attacking Orndorff for a previous cheap shot rather than Piper coming to Hogan's aid. In the meantime, Orton is either knocked out or sent backstage - so the Piper / Orton relationship and Orton's reaction to the aftermath of the match can play out later on TV.

Savage would have been a solid contender but, IMO, it was too soon to pair him off against Hogan on such a big stage. An IC title defense was probably best for his character at that point in order to put more heel heat on him against a sympathetic challenger. If not Steele then I would have used Tito Santana in a title rematch, with Tito getting a count-out win (two pinfall losses against Savage in such a short period of time would have killed the feud and Tito's heat).

Don Muraco was too far down the totem pole but that's not to say the WWF couldn't have pulled it off. He gave Hogan a series of quality matches during the summer of 85, culminating in a steel cage match at MSG. With proper buildup, it would have given Muraco a much better spot on the card than a meaningless draw with Orndorff.