TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Karnage

Those 10 Movie DVD Sets...

Guest Karnage

Has anyone picked up those value priced 10 movie DVD sets that are all dedicated to a certain genre(some of the titles include Vault of Horror, Tales of Terror, Fists of Fire, Sword of Death, etc.)?

Theres lots of martial arts sets out and I wanna pick them up but want to know if the video quality is good and if the movies are actually good or not.

Guest Bruiser Chong
I've heard that those types of set (specifically the horror genre) are all basically nothing but VHS transfers and are bare-bones to boot. I may be mistakened, but I've heard that a lot of these are pretty crappy all around.

Guest evenflowDDT

Bruiser's right - the reason these sets are so cheap is because they're barebones full-framed versions with crappy transfers because they're transferred from VHS or maybe highly generated 16mm public domain films. Because they're public domain films, many times they're available in a special edition from a recognized company, but usually there are just multiple versions of the same title, with all being pretty crappy and none taking advantage of the DVD format. Kinda sad really, but they ARE cheap sets.

Guest Youth N Asia

When you can get a 10 movie deal set where the average cost per tape/dvd is only a couple bucks...you shouldn't expect much in the way of video quality.

Guest Bruiser Chong
I always found it odd that there were certain movies that were cult-classics and when they finally made it to DVD, they were basically of the quality we're talking about here (VHS quality, bare-bones) and yet they'd cost almost twice as much as your average DVD. I know that's a bit OT, but hearing about these cheap sets reminded me of these types of DVDs.

Guest El Satanico

Yeah you can't expect much from these type of deals. However if it's a really cheap price and the movie's are just cheesy crap that doesn't need a great picture then no problem..

Guest Lethargic

I've had a few of those sets. Some of the movies look good, some look like crap, some are widescreen some aren't. A lot of them are direct to video and a lot more are made for TV so of course they're fullscreen. One on the horror set is called Good Against Evil, it's a pilot movie for a TV series so there is no point in matting that thing. I've been watching one of the horror ones this week. Basically the video quality doesn't matter cause the movies usually always suck. But if you're into bad movies it's a goldmine. I've like one movie on there so far called God Told Me Too. It even had Andy Kaufman in a cameo. The first one I had was the action set. That one was priceless. It had a few cartoon shorts on the discs too. I think 4 of the movies were shot on video community access type stuff. Brilliant. After I finish the horror box I'm watching the crime set.

Guest razazteca

Good Against Evil, was that on the USA network?

I liked that show.

Guest Bruiser Chong
Good Against Evil, was that on the USA network?

I liked that show.

I think you're thinking of Good vs. Evil or as it was dubbed G vs. E. I doubt that they're the same thing since the show was quite far away from the horror genre, IIRC.

Guest Lethargic

Good Against Evil looked like late 70's early 80's or so. It was basically a Omen/Exorcist type thing. This dude's fiance gets kidnapped by a cult so she can bear satan's child. It ended up with him hooking up with this demon exorcising priest to go hunt down the cult and kill them. So I was like, what the hell? No payoff? So I looked it up and sure enough it was a pilot movie. Could've been a kick ass series actually.

Guest DVD Spree

I know that the martial arts sets are almost all total junk. The "Bolo films" are awful, the "Jackie Chan films" are bad ones from early in his career, and generally I'd avoid them unless you really want a bunch of movies cheap.

That said, it's a good way to pad out a DVD collection...