TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest dr deaf

Misawa vs. kawada curiousity

Guest dr deaf

I'm curious about this tape from Highspots.com.  It's a comp and some matches are clipped.  What I want to find out is what's the quality and even if they are clipped are they still worth watching.  Remember, I'm fairly new to japanese wrestling of any style some I'm trying to get into it.  But no matter what I'm trying to get into I hate getting half of the story (ie..clipped matches)

Misawa vs. Kawada (10-21-92)

Misawa vs. Kawada (7-29-93)

Misawa vs. Kawada (6-3-94)

Misawa vs. Kawada (7-24-95)

Misawa vs. Kawada (6-6-97)

Misawa vs. Kawada (5-1-98)

Guest Tim Cooke

Everything is clipped except the 5/98 match.  Go another direction, especially if your new to Japanese Wrestling.

Tim

Guest Tim Cooke

Search every "I am new to Puro" thread on this board.

Really though, it depends on what you have already seen.....I would start with AJPW 1990 TV and work up through that or just pick up some of the more pimped Junior stuff from NJPW.

Tim

Guest PlatypusFool

Everyone says it, but someone's got to every time...

Get the Super J Cups 94 and 95. Watch in bits, paying as close attension as you can. Start to love puroresu. Pick up an extremely well pimped piece of recent AJPW. Watch it until you understand it then go back and start watching all the good stuff from AJPW, 1990 upwards. Branch out and get bits of every other fed. Adore puroresu and try to buy everything ever.

This is the way it shall be, now and forever :P

Guest dr deaf

I'm not too completely new.  I've started with Best of Benoit from rfvideos, we all make mistakes at first.  Awesome tape though.  Moved on with Mutoh comp, TAKA comp,  AAA when worlds collide, Mpro - heartbreak from lucha land, and an old NWA best of Muta, the kid in me.

What I'm looking for is a series that can demonstrate a good example of the match psychology.  This rivarly has been talked about off and on but since it's clipped that defeats the purpose.

see what growing up on WWF has done to me?  I could personally spit, really .  ;)

Guest HopeSpot

I can see why some people are getting burned out on all the "I'm new to puro" threads since American wrestling is all but dead IMO and there's new puro fans every day now.

I'd reccomend picking up AJPW vs. NJPW 2001 for an introduction to the heavies. For the juniors try M-Pro's These Days or the 95 J-Cup.

Guest J*ingus

They're ALL clipped except one?!  Dammit, I hate Japanese video editors.  I was about to buy that tape, too.

Guest wolverine

My ratings of these matches unedited:

Misawa vs. Kawada (10-21-92) ****1/2

Misawa vs. Kawada (7-29-93) ****1/2

Misawa vs. Kawada (6-3-94) *****

Misawa vs. Kawada (7-24-95) ****3/4 (pretty close to 5)

Misawa vs. Kawada (6-6-97) ****3/4

Misawa vs. Kawada (5-1-98) ****1/4

Guest Black Tiger

If they're all clipped but one and your new to Puroresu then you should probably get it. If you used to American Wrestling with matches that go 15 minutes at the longest usualy then Misawa VS Kawada 30-60 minute matches will bore you to death. Start off with clipped matches to get an idea of what to expect and see how you like longer matches.

Guest wolverine
If they're all clipped but one and your new to Puroresu then you should probably get it. If you used to American Wrestling with matches that go 15 minutes at the longest usualy then Misawa VS Kawada 30-60 minute matches will bore you to death. Start off with clipped matches to get an idea of what to expect and see how you like longer matches.

Misawa vs. Kawada never had a 60 min match.  Their longest was 35 minutes 50 sec. (6/3/94).

Guest dr deaf

but that's what I'm getting so tired of.  I'm sick of the mindless let me show off my signature move fifteen minute match.  I've watched enough of what's offered in america to get a glimmer and it's the style that I always hoped would infect WWF but as everyone and their retarded half brother can tell you, will never happen ever happen.

Guest wolverine
but that's what I'm getting so tired of.  I'm sick of the mindless let me show off my signature move fifteen minute match.  I've watched enough of what's offered in america to get a glimmer and it's the style that I always hoped would infect WWF but as everyone and their retarded half brother can tell you, will never happen ever happen.

About three years ago, I was sick and tired of the WWF garbage, so I decided to do some research on what the best Japan tapes were.  I found this site with a Super J Cup '94 review, with all of these ****+ matches, so I HAD to check it out.  I LOVED the tape, it was the best show I had ever seen.

Then I kept hearing about how great All Japan matches were, in particular, Misawa, Kawada and Kobashi.  I heard that the 1/20/97 Misawa-Kobashi match was one of the best matches ever.  So I tracked down the All Japan New Year's Giant Series 1997 tape, saw that match, and became hooked on All Japan.  It was, at that point, the greatest match I had ever seen.

Check it out, you're going to love it....