TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

Spurrier to coach South Carolina?

South Carolina football coach Lou Holtz said last week that it'd be a great thing if Steve Spurrier were the one to replace him if he retires.

Now, according to reports, that could be closer than ever to reality.

ESPN has confirmed a report in the Nashville Tennessean that Spurrier, who won a national title and six SEC championships in 12 seasons at Florida, has agreed in principle to be the next coach of the Gamecocks.

The newspaper, which identified its source as being someone close to the situation, reported that an announcement is expected early next week.

A potential snag in the agreement could be if Holtz, 67, decides he wants to come back for a seventh season in South Carolina, according to the report.

Holtz is signed through 2008. However, a clause in his deal lets him or the university get out of the agreement with five days notice.

In the past few weeks, Holtz has said he was tired and worn out from the season. He has continually made references to "whoever is the coach next year" when questioned about his future.

On Monday, Holtz refused to talk about his plans.

"This is not a good time to talk about it, it really isn't," Holtz said. "It's just not a good time."

South Carolina Associate Athletics Director Kerry Tharp would neither confirm nor deny to the newspaper that a deal was imminent with Spurrier.

"We're not going to comment about any of it right now," Tharp told the Tennessean. "It's all speculative. When Coach Holtz decides what he's going to do, then we'll decide where we're going to go with it."

South Carolina (6-4) ends its regular season Saturday at Clemson (5-5).

Spurrier, 59, has said that he would probably prefer the college ranks if he decides to get back into coaching. He hasn't coached since he resigned from the Washington Redskins in 2003 after going 12-20 in two seasons. Spurrier, who left Florida in 2002, also has been linked to a potential opening at North Carolina, according to published reports.

Earlier this month, Spurrier withdrew his name from consideration to return to Gainesville, where Ron Zook was fired last month after two-plus seasons.

Last week, Holtz told The (Columbia, S.C.) State: "I can understand why [spurrier] would want to come here, and I can also understand why they would want him."

And earlier this week, Holtz confirmed that he had spoken to Spurrier, whom he said he considers a friend.

Source: ESPN.com

Guest MikeSC

Lou has mentioned Spurrier as his possible successor for about 2 weeks running now. It's pretty much a guarantee and has been for several weeks now.

-=Mike

Guest MikeSC
Hah, not only does Spurrier not go back to Florida, but he goes to a division rival

And a rival with far better talent than their record indicates to boot.

-=Mike

Guest Vitamin X

It would have been interesting to see Spurrier coach at South Florida, considering his son is being actively recruited to play there.

I guess South Carolina has better golf courses than Tampa?

Guest Salacious Crumb

I think the South Carolina people offered to get him a membership at Augusta.

Guest Salacious Crumb

I know, but they were saying on ATH/PTI that one of the USC big wigs said if he took the job that he could get him a membership there.

Holtz to retire after season

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) -- Lou Holtz will retire as coach at South Carolina after the season, The Associated Press learned Thursday night, apparently paving the way for Steve Spurrier to replace him.

Holtz told his team before Thursday's practice that he was retiring, according to a source close to the program who spoke on condition of anonymity. All season, the 67-year-old Holtz said he was worn out and tired, and even said Spurrier would be a good choice to succeed him.

The Tennessean of Nashville reported Thursday that Spurrier had agreed to take over at South Carolina, if and when Holtz stepped down.

The deal seems to be getting closer.

From what I heard on SportsTalk 84, the deal with Spurrier and Flordia fell apart when Florida said Spurrier would have to interview with all the other coaches they were considering. I can't say that I blame Spurrier for getting pissy at that. Its like, "You want my resume? Look in your trophy case."

Hah, not only does Spurrier not go back to Florida, but he goes to a division rival

And a rival with far better talent than their record indicates to boot.

-=Mike

No doubt, this is a great move for both Spurrier and and South Carolina. I like how people are saying how he can't win there. I guess Florida was really a superpower before he got there. This makes a great SEC conference even better.

Guest The Shadow Behind You

I think this is a great move by both sides, this instantly makes South Carolina a power team in the SEC (by reputation, not neccesarily talent at least not yet) and allows Spurrier to create yet another college powerhouse.

He had the potential chance to go Florida, where he did all you can really do there. He made the right move by saying "no thanks".

I'm not shocked he didn't take the North Carolina job that was also rumored to be offered mainly because Basketball will always dominate UNC and Spurrier likely would have wanted to create a institution around HIS team and he's more familar with the SEC then he is with the ACC.

It's still right in his recruiting base of Southeastern america where he knows the Florida, Georgia and Carolina's pretty well.

Most importantly, he'll be in golf heaven as well. I'll bet he tries to move South Carolina campus to Myrtle Beach.

SportsLine.com wire reports

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- Augusta National chairman Hootie Johnson said Friday that Steve Spurrier is not guaranteed a membership at the home of the Masters if he becomes the head football coach at South Carolina.

Lou Holtz is resigning at the end of the season, presumably paving the way for Spurrier to replace him.

Holtz is a member at Augusta National, and Johnson played fullback for the Gamecocks in the early 1950s.

"To state or imply that a membership at Augusta National Golf Club would be linked to any job or position is completely false," Johnson said. "An invitation to become a member of Augusta National is very special and would never be tied to anything except personal relationships within this club."

Holtz formerly coached at Arkansas in the late 1970s, and he and former Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles have long been friends with former Augusta National chairman Jack Stephens.

Guest MikeSC
I know, but they were saying on ATH/PTI that one of the USC big wigs said if he took the job that he could get him a membership there.

Well, Hootie Johnson IS a USC grad.

-=Mike

Spurrier can't win in South Carolina?

PLEASE, the man won at DUKE. He was 7-3-1 and 8-4 at DUKE in his second and third year coaching there.

To say Spurrier cannot recruit players to SC when he was able to recruit players to Duke is just insane.

South Carolina will win the SEC in his third year and be in the title hunt as early as his second year.

Guest MikeSC
It doesn't matter if it's in his recruiting base or not. He despises the recruitment process.

That's why he'll likely keep guys like Rick Stockstill (WR coach who made Troy Williamson into something special this year) or Dave Roberts on staff, as they are Gods at recruiting in this state.

-=Mike