TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

"New" Astroboy trailer 2003 series

Guest wildpegasus

For anime fans out there you want to check out:

http://astroboy.jp/c/009/movie/index.html

At the bottom of the screen there are some preview trailers for the new series. Select whether you want to use real player or windows media and enjoy! Don't wait, don't hesitate. Watch it now.

The animation quality is unbelievable for an animation series. Astroboy always seems to enjoy better animation than its peers. The 80s series was top notch too.

Edited by wildpegasus

Guest wildpegasus
It's funny you post this, as I was just playing the new Astroboy Japanese GBA game on my computer.

What a small world we live in!

Guest wildpegasus
I dunno about this (I haven't seen the trailer, but the concept itself..). The appeal of Astroboy was it's deep and dark storytelling and gratuitous violence and death... I doubt this new series will have either.

The episodes from the 60s were dark too with some similar storytelling and some stuff such as the leopard make an appearance in both shows (60s and 80s) so I dobut they'll alter the formula too much. We'll see.

Guest wildpegasus
DUDE, the amount of death and violence in that show made me disappointed in my mom and dad's parenting skills.  "HOW COULD YOU LET ME WATCH THIS!!?!"

And that's the English version which is edited.

Question: Does anyone remember that episode where Astro and a bunch of passangers on an aircraft get stranded on an unknown island where "there's no air" and the temparature changes extreamly quickly? Things get complicated when some of the passengers realise there are diamonds on the island which leads into a great battle of "safety vs greed" for the people stranded on the planet. It's been bugging me for a while now on whether this show was based or influeced by something. If anyone knows, please tell.

Guest The Ohtani of Time

This is with out a doubt one of the greatest animated series of all time, bar none. And I think that the new series looks great, I like the idea of astroboy's father playing a bigger role this time around, lets hope this series can resolve a lot of unanswered questions.

Guest wildpegasus
Meh. Astroboy was one of Tezuka's weakest works, IMO.

Compared to which works? Kimba? I don't think I've seen too much of Tezuka's work but as a animation show, I'd put Astroboy up with anything for pure quality. After rewatching the original unedited show (early 80s) rescently for the first time in about 17 years I can say it's truly great. I go back and watch other shows from my youth but notice that they don't hold up the way Astroboy does.

Guest The Ohtani of Time
Meh. Astroboy was one of Tezuka's weakest works, IMO.

Compared to which works? Kimba? I don't think I've seen too much of Tezuka's work but as a animation show, I'd put Astroboy up with anything for pure quality. After rewatching the original unedited show (early 80s) rescently for the first time in about 17 years I can say it's truly great. I go back and watch other shows from my youth but notice that they don't hold up the way Astroboy does.

I have to agree with wildpegasus, of all the animated shows that i watched as a child, astroboy is the only one capable of holding my attention now as it did when I was younger.

This series is far from weak, it had some of the most inventive, fresh and origional story lines ever, not to mention some of the coolest villians (Atlus, Satan and Commonturk) to appear on a "kids" show.

Guest wildpegasus
Well, I was talking Manga, but whatever..

Well, I can't comment on that as I'm not familiar at all with Manga. If you want to comment on written pieces of work, we have a different forum for it in the comic books and literachure section. Take care.

Guest wildpegasus
The only problem I have with watching Astroboy now, is that it goes by *way* too fast;  which is probably why I loved it growing up.  When I'm watching it, I just want to say "sloooow dooown, explain yourself a lil bit more."

Exactly. It's like they had so much material and only so much time to get all the material in. They could've easily expanded many shows to 2 parters or whatever if they wanted to. Even the awesome action sequences seemed to be shortened for time.

Guest The Ohtani of Time

Does anybody know if this new series will be released in North America?

Guest wildpegasus
Does anybody know if this new series will be released in North America?

For all of us in the great white north it's going to be on YTV on Saturday afternoons starting Jan 31 at 3:30 pm eastern.

I believe it's going to be on the Kids WB TV channel on Jan 17 2004.

Seriously though, I don't know if I'll be able to watch it on TV as I'm guessing they'll be taking stuff out like they did back in the 80s. I'll have to find the original sometime or other and give it a go. Rescently I've only been watching very little anime but have now gone back to my original beliefs that one should almost only watch anime in its original unedited form. For a while there I wasn't letting dubbing get to me but after seeing the 80s Astro and other movies in their original form I just can't go back. The only time I really like dubs is when a narrator is stating facts. Whenever there's emotion, I need to see the original acting.

Hey Ohtani of Time -- Are you from the States, Canada or somewhere else? I ask this because I just saw a couple of 2 to 3 minute clips of Astro on the web (80s series) and from what I remember of the Canadian Astro dub we here in Canada had a lot better voicecast. If you've seen them, are the tapes they got out in stores right now taken from the American or Canadian version?

BTW -- AWESOME name you got there. One of the best on the web.

Guest The Ohtani of Time

To answer Wildpegasus's question, i'm from Canada.

I know that there is a store in Halifax, Nova Scotia, that will import any anime video that you want, but I can't remember it's name or address.

Thanks for the compliment on my name, but I can't take full credit for it's creation, that goes to a friend of mine who had difficulty pronouncing "Ocarina of Time"

just out of curiousity, does astroboy remind you a little bit of Shinjiro Ohtani?

Guest wildpegasus

No, I don't see the resemblance between Ohtani and Astro. Care to elaborate? They're both heroes but I don't really see anything besides that.

So, do you have any favourite episodes? There are a lot of great ones to choose from.

Guest The Ohtani of Time

Yes, indeed they are both heroes, both are inspirational, both know some wrestling holds, both are from japan, both kick ass and they both have an above average work ethic.

favourite episodes.

The first one

Commonturk

Anything with Atlus

And the one with the race around the world

Guest wildpegasus
Yes, indeed they are both heroes, both are inspirational, both know some wrestling holds, both are from japan, both kick ass and they both have an above average work ethic.

favourite episodes.

The first one

Commonturk

Anything with Atlus

And the one with the race around the world

I'll have to comment on those later. I lent my DVDs out and the guy hasn't finished watching them yet so I think I'll reserve judgement for later. Excellent pics. Commonturk = Coolest name ever. I think he was only named that in the Canadian version.

Well, they did it. Apparently people watching Astro on the WB network have noted that they messed Astro up from the Japanese version. The biggest thing though is that they MADE ASTRO A SMARTA** robot. He's now "cool, hip, rad" and has an ATTITUDE. To make sure of this they took out things like Astro being friendly with his good old Pops. THey also made the starting suckier but things like that are to be expected, huh? In the 80's Canadian dub version they did a real good job of the starting but apparantly not this time. All right, back to the personality changing of Astro. Astro isn't a cool, hip robot with an attitude. That is just so wrong as his personality is the COMPLETE opposite. A lot of the charm in the seires is Astro's personality and to alter that is just so wrong. Anyone have any thoughts on this? The Ohtani of Time?

**is very close to ranting about the editing/complete changes to anime but I think I'll save it for later. No other piece of art form is even close**

Edited by wildpegasus

Guest The Ohtani of Time

If what you say is true, Wildpegasus, then that really sucks.

They have taken a character who had so much character and made him into a joke.

What's ironic is that this show inspired so many other films and programs, but is now imitating (character wise) that crap on teletoon.

It's a sad day.

Guest wildpegasus
If what you say is true, Wildpegasus, then that really sucks.

They have taken a character who had so much character and made him into a joke.

What's ironic is that this show inspired so many other films and programs, but is now imitating (character wise) that crap on teletoon.

It's a sad day.

It as in Astroboy is not imitating. The show in Japan is sticking pretty much true to Astro's charactor. WB, the dubbers or whoever makes the decisions decided to make Astro "cool" with an attitude are the imitators as they've taken the original product and altered it to the tastes that they think the young ones want today. If I could use the Bart Simpson reference it'd be somewhat similar to the Japanese putting the Simpsons show on their airwaves and changing Bart's charactor to that of a nice, honourable, heoric, caring, truthful individual who always does the same thing. In the Simpson cartoon that just wouldn't work but yet that's what WB or whoever is doing here with Astro. "It's Robotech" all over again.

**feels like ranting about how the "average person ruins" everything for the hardcores from wrestling to movies to TV shows to weightlifting gyms (which I'm really mad about right now) to food**

Edited by wildpegasus

Guest wildpegasus
Gyms??

Yeah, gyms. Here in Antigonish they spent millions and millions of dollars on a Millenium Centre. So, what do they do? They force everyone out of the old gym which was nothing to write home about in the first place and reserve it only for people on varsity teams. Now, we have to go to the new, "great" modern gym. Tons of cardio machines, TVs and fancy machines but a beyond sucky free weight section. There isn't even a real squat rack. That's like having wrestling without Benoit. Basically, machines on average suck compared to free weights. They're actually more dangerous as there's no freedom inside them at all and they force you to one range of motion. Machines can easily be a one ticket way to injuries but since weights are "so intimidating" to the average folk that buisness people want in the gym, we're actually bombarded with the machines. The least they could do for us is put together a half repectable gym. I mean, we are talking about millions of dollars here. Maybe the most frustrating part about this is that even some of the "educated" exercise trainers don't even know this.

Coolest pic ever

I love the Atlas vs Astro feud/friendship and how it's portrayed throughout the series. The whole relationship triangle between Astro/Vivian and Atlas is just terrific.

Guest The Ohtani of Time

Yup, machines suck. I tried them a few times, couldn't get a decent pump off of them and there was no muscle soreness at all from the workout the next day. I'm thinking of getting back into the weights myself, I used to have a really good workout buddy, maybe I'll give him a call. just talking about weights gets me all fired up.

Whay type of routine do you do? High intensity, low reps, high reps, circuit training, high sets.

Yeah that is a pretty cool pic of astro and atlus

Guest wildpegasus
Yup, machines suck. I tried them a few times, couldn't get a decent pump off of them and there was no muscle soreness at all from the workout the next day. I'm thinking of getting back into the weights myself, I used to have a really good workout buddy, maybe I'll give him a call. just talking about weights gets me all fired up.

Whay type of routine do you do? High intensity, low reps, high reps, circuit training, high sets.

Yeah that is a pretty cool pic of astro and atlus

That's not to say all machines suck though. I've had success with a few of the machines.

Right now, I'm cycling my intensity of the workouts and have been having some good results with that. For example, I'll take a period of 7 or 8 weeks and cycle my instensity over that. I know what my rep poundage is for 8 or 10 reps to failure (or just before it which is probably wiser to do). Than it goes something like this after warming up

WEEK 1 Use 90% of poundage for 8 to 10 reps

WEEK 2 Use 95% of poundage for 8 to 10 reps

WEEK 3 Use 97.5% of poundage for 8 to 10 reps

WEEK 4 Use 100%

WEEK 5 Use 1.0125%

Week 6 Use 1.025%

Week 7 Use 1.0375%

Repeat

Lately I've been experiementing with using 5 weeks as a buildup to 100% instead of 4 weeks starting off lower than 90% and adjusting accordingly to I get to 100%.

When I was younger, I used to train very poorly doing multiple sets to failure/beyond and all that jazz. A common mistake which is bound to be repeated until the end of mankind.