TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
The Czech Republic

I Love The 70s

Anybody watched I Love The 70s on VH1 yet? (BTW that new logo redefines crappy) For me, it's just not as cool as I Love The 80s, because it's the same format, and I think at this point we're oversaturated with 1970s nostalgia. Part of this may be that I was born in the 80s and can relate to most of this stuff from my early childhood, but still, I'm not enjoying this new series as much. We've got That 70s Show and all, and 70s retro has been around for a while now, with Brady Bunch enjoying a resurgence a few years back, and bellbottoms coming back to some degree. Even though ILT70s still has Mo Rocca and Hal Sparks, AND David Foley and Kevin McDonald, it's not as good as the 80s series, which hopefully will be back on the air soon (I still need to tape these, and missed them until just this July.)

I enjoyed it.

I mean, most of the stuff happened when my mom was still in high school, but it was still cool seeing things like "The Gong Show" and "JAWS" and "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"

The only downside for me was the fucking Saturn commercial airing every commercial break.

I enjoyed the show as I'm big into '70's stuff. I think they should have done more in going after people who were around and of a cognizant age during most of the '70's than talking to their staple guys from the '80's series, like Hal Sparks and Michael Ian Black. Black said he was like 3 in 1976, what the hell is he going to remember? I also find Black to be very annoying as he's always running down everything with the same backwards sarcasm. He also comes off as gay as a picnic basket and I would be shocked to find out that he's straight. I just think they saturated the market with the frequent plays of I Love the '80's and should have waited awhile and altered the format a bit before trying this series.

Guest El Satanico

I liked it just as much as I did the 80's version.

I agree with deacon that VH1 should've found more people who were at least teenagers in the mid 70's.

Michael Ian Black was born Michael Schwartz in Jersey in 1971.

I agree that he was a bit too negative, and agree with getting people who were actually alive then. I think VH1 invited Hal Sparks and Michael Ian Black because they were quite funny on I :wub: The 80's, so they figured they'd just capitalize on that.

Overall, I still got a kick out of Hal Sparks, and while Michael Ian Black has the great sense of humor, he is/was far too negative for my tastes, especially once it got to 1978 and he was still bashing everything.

Michael Ian Black is painfully unfunny. It just doesn't work when you try and make a joke every time you open your mouth. He's too annoying and I can't stand more then a couple minutes of the shows because of him. Mo Rocca too.

Guest Sturgis

Black was good on I Love The 80's, but here he just sucks. Watch the part when they talk about Deliverance you just want somebody to run in and make him squeel like a pig.

Guest The Grand Pubah of 1620

I was born in the mid 70's, so I really didn't think I'd care for it. But I do remember more about the 70's then I thought. I have only see '71 and '77 and I enjoyed them. I am looking forward to seeing them all.

I Love the 90's will come out next, my guess.

Never. Apparently the 90s were evil or something like that.

I too, wasn't feeling ILt70s. Just felt like something was missing from this one. Felt like they were trying too hard to stack the laughs.

I'm dreading the 80s Strikes Back.

Damn, Vh1 is going to hell.

This isn't a rant on the 70's or 80's shows cuz they are great.

But slowly, much like MTV, they are going further away from music programming. Like I saw a show the other day on their about famous babies & mothers.

What ever happened to Behind the Music? I haven't seen an episode of that in like a year!

Then again, BTM always replayed the same eps over and over and over. I remember seeing the ULTRA RARE Thin Lizzy episode and then never, ever seeing it again.

Guest El Satanico

Well there's not very much material for a 90's version. It just wasn't a very interesting decade.

Well there's not very much material for a 90's version. It just wasn't a very interesting decade.

Dude, they were really reaching with the 90's. I mean Wacky Wall Walkers and the Bartel and James guys?

I really don't see them being able to make I Love The 80's Strike back good. They had to reach for the ten epidodes they already made.

The 90's, I was in too much of a haze to really remember if it was cool or not. :D

Actually, even though I wasn't born yet, I would have to say the the 60's own all.

But the 80's were pretty good.

Reagan>Clinton

Actually, even though I wasn't born yet, I would have to say the the 60's own all.

But the 80's were pretty good.

Reagan>Clinton

I never bought into that. Boomers act as if their entire generation changed the world or something. There were just as many poseurs then as there are now.

But I liked the music. I'll give it that.

And I was born in 84, so I'm obviously more partial to the 90s.

*clutches pogs, Power Rangers and Pokemon*

Guest El Satanico

Of course they didn't change the world, but the 60's and early 70's did change America alot.

You can't sit there and deny that they helped change america.

There's quite a bit of material for I Love the 80's Strike Back, I wouldn't bring Michael Ian Black back cause his schtick got really old during the later episodes of I Love the 70's. In fact I don't think they covered the Michael Jackson craze on the first I Love the 80's.

what? we had grunge, alternative radio, 'forrest gump', 'pulp fiction', mst3k, whitewater, the lewinsky scandal, the oklahoma city bombing, newt gingrich, gangsta rap, singing monks, 'seinfeld'...we had plenty of stuff.

Michael Ian Black is painfully unfunny. It just doesn't work when you try and make a joke every time you open your mouth.

EXACTLY!

Having said that, I do enjoy both the 80's and 70's shows. Harmless goofy nostalgia.

Reagan>Clinton

I do believe you have inhaled. Way too much.

They probably covered Michael Jackson but his popularity was over most of the 80s so it is hard to define in terms of one year or show.

The 90s would be a very tough decade to do the silly wisecracks on. I mean, can you see Michael Ian Black doing his schtick with the OK City bombing? The Gulf War? Or in music stuff like Cobain blowing his brains out, Biggie and Tupac being shot, etc. It's not exactly a fun decade.

Guest El Satanico

I'd like to see that, but unlike most people I enjoy making light of such things.