TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Brian

Looking Back to 1997

Guest Brian

Old Torch WWF notes:

"It is considered almost a done deal that Michinoku Pro wrestlers, many of whom appeared on the ECW pay–per–view, will be working WWF dates this summer and become the centerpiece of the cruiserweight division. The AAA relationship appears to be in grave danger. As poorly as the WWF promoted the AAA wrestlers when they came in, the WWF was constantly working uphill since it was so difficult to work with AAA, which thought 24 hours notice for sending wrestlers was more than enough time. The WWF has had talks with EMLL. If the WWF could get a solid working agreement with either AAA or EMLL and build up three or four wrestlers from Mexico and three or four wrestlers from Michinoku—rather than throwing ten from each group on TV without any build–up, they would have an international presence in the cruiserweight division comparable to, if not better than, WCW's. Putting three–to–six minute cruiserweight matches on Raw would help break the plodding monotony of all of the heavyweight matches that the WWF puts on to fill their two–hour timeslot..."

Considering Mexican wrestling was right near its peak at this time period, as was M-Pro, the WWF had a huge opportunity on it's hands not just to use talent but to send various signed talent to Mexico and Michinoku Pro while not being used on television since they didn't have developmental programs. Too bad Vince's ideal cruiserweights are Scotty Too Hotty and Brian Christopher.

Guest Blue Bacchus

In defense of Vince, in '97 there were a hell of lot of changes going on in the WWE. Maybe he wanted to push the cruisers but felt that the WWE crowd might not respond to them. Why dedicate an entire segment to a match with unknowns who could stink up the arena, when you could put house hold names in a segment and stink up the arena.

Seriously though, '97 was a tough year, and I while I enjoyed the cruisers when I watched WCW and WWE back then, the rest of the crew in the Rawling's dorm didn't. During our Nitro parties (Yes... Point and Laugh Children) they would always go get beer or make bathroom run  during the cruiser matches.

For a Smark Cruisierweights/Light Heavyweights rock where the Wrestlers show us moves and offense that thrill and entertain us... For a Mark they are just another match with mid cards and filler till Hogan came on.

Guest RickyChosyu

It seemed to me that the Cruisers got over just fine on their own in WCW. Kidman, Misterio, and Jericho were just as over the heavies durring several periods of time. Compare that to what the WWF did with Taka, and the distinction is obvious. Had the WWF gone through with the M Pro/EMLL deal, I'm sure it would have helped build at least one new star and diversify the WWF product.

If anything, Cruiserweights are ideal for opening matches, and most of the time the only reason WCW fans were still hot for Hogan and whoever was because the Cruisers did their job and got the crowd hot right from the beginning. The Cruisers should have been something different for the fans to get into when they got tired of the typical WWF Time Wasting Brawl and would have kept them entertained.

Guest Brian

"Why dedicate an entire segment to a match with unknowns who could stink up the arena, when you could put house hold names in a segment and stink up the arena."

If Vince truly wanted to push them, wouldn't he make them more than unknowns. Even in WCW, cruiserweights weren't that much stronger built up, yet they were given time to do with. If you're paying them, why not use them. If you have the opportunity, why not run with it. He had these guys, could have built up a title with respect and some serious contenders with a provided background and an introduction to the style. If they could get six or eight guys together and put together a tag match (M-Pro vs. AAA, or EMLL), given a background on each guys and how they work (even, quite possibly, calling moves correctly), than building them up before introducing a title, they could have had a better division than WCW. WCW was putting these guys out but not putting enough focus to make the fans care except with a few people. It was a good division, just not enough focus.

Guest Blue Bacchus

I don't argue with you Ricky (You're pretty right actually), but do you think those Marks remembered by the end of the night who opened the show? Vince & Co know that while the Cruiser style is entertaining, it's not why your ass is in the seat at the arena. You're there for one of the Main Eventers.

Also I have to add that guys who I watched wrestling with were Super Marks... so my example maybe flawed.

Seriously they thought Vince McMahon was gonna show up at Halloween Havoc '97 when Eric Bischoff challenged him to a match.

I don't think Vince ever cared too much. He just saw that WCW was having some moderate success with something, and he would be damned that they were going to excel at something he didn't.

Further proof that Vince didn't care about cruisers in 1997: During that godawful lucha match at the Royal Rumble, Vince couldn't even bother to get straight on which guy was Heavy Metal, identifying three different men as such before JR finally pointed him out.