TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest O.J. Hart

What struggeling baseball lyaer will breakthrough

Guest O.J. Hart

I'm gonna go with Chris Reitsma of the Cincinatti Reds. The guy's run support this season is a little over 2, and he always is matched up against an All Star calibur pitcher, of his 18 starts, 15 of the guys he's faced have been an All Star in the last 3 years... The guys ERA is very close to being the 3's very soon, so look for him to win 15 to 20 games within the next few years, if he gets the run support.

Guest Vern Gagne

Some pitchers are "losers". Meaning they always find a way to lose. Whether it's 2-1, or 9-8. Just like other pitchers find a way to win games. Not that Reitsma will fit into that category it's just something I'd point out.

Luis Rivas is due for a breakout year. He missed 3 months because of an injury. He's a potential Gold Glove winner and might become the best 2nd baseman in the league, that's if Soriano moves to the OF which is a strong possibility.

Guest Some Guy

Casey Fossum looks pretty damn good so far for the Sox. He's gotten very little run support and the team makes all of their errors for the week during his starts it seems but he has great stuff. The guy is only about 160 lbs soaking wet with rocks in his pockets but he throws 89-93 on the fastball with a good slurve, he needs a change up and a little better comand but he should be a good lefty starter for years, he's only 24. His losses as starter are basically because of unearned runs, he needs to mentally toughen up after errors as well. maturity should fix that.

Rivas looks like a hell of a talent for teh Twins. He made some great plays against the Sox in the Fenway series.

Guest Kingpk

Tony Clark.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! i actually kept a straight face for 3 consecutive seconds there.

Guest Mad the Swine

Gary Matthews, Jr.

He's finally showing signs of life. Unfortunately, he's in Baltimore and is not going to get much attention.

Guest Zero_Cool

I think that Kerry Wood is close to a break-out. I know that he is seen as a 'star', but in my opinion, if he had good run support in his starts, he could be a twenty win guy. I think it's a matter of time before he takes Clemens' cape and ceptor.

Guest Vern Gagne
I think that Kerry Wood is close to a break-out. I know that he is seen as a 'star', but in my opinion, if he had good run support in his starts, he could be a twenty win guy. I think it's a matter of time before he takes Clemens' cape and ceptor.

Wood needs alot of work on his control. Maybe talk to Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson.

The pitcher on the Cubs that should have a break out year is Mark Prior. Keep in mind with the Cubs nothing is certain.

Guest Some Guy
There won't be any baseball in 2003.

Is that comment even warranted and does it have anything to do with the topic? I don't think so, add to the discussion or get the fuck out.

Guest Zero_Cool
I think that Kerry Wood is close to a break-out.  I know that he is seen as a 'star', but in my opinion, if he had good run support in his starts, he could be a twenty win guy.  I think it's a matter of time before he takes Clemens' cape and ceptor.

Wood needs alot of work on his control. Maybe talk to Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson.

The pitcher on the Cubs that should have a break out year is Mark Prior. Keep in mind with the Cubs nothing is certain.

Yeah, Prior has a shitload of potential. He's got some awesome stuff. The big problem with these guys is that other than Sosa and McGriff and to a lesser extent Mark Bellhorn, they have nothing to back them up. Todd Hundley is a shell of his '95-97 form...same with Alou.

Guest OctoberBlood

Great topic.

I think Adam Dunn will breakout next year. This season, he is number two in the league in strikeouts, but he is also number two in the league in walks, right behind Barry Bonds. Adam Dunn has the potential to hit 50 homeruns, and drive in 130. This is his first full season, and the pitchers has made adjustments to him. Next year, I can see him bouncing back making adjustments of his own.

I am a Cincinnati Reds fan at heart, and have followed the Reds since 1990. But, OJ Hart Chris Reitsma is not a fitted starter. He has two pitches, and alot of potential .. but he needs to be in the bullpen, and needs to be converted as a Closer. The Reds are looking to move Danny Graves, the current starter, to the rotation; and move Reitsma or Reidling into the closers role. I look for Reitsma to have a great bullpen year, rather it be as a closer or setup man in 2003.

A few notables I think will also breakthrough:

- Ryan Dempster, Reds

- Gary Mathews Jr, Orioles

- Jerry Hariston, Orioles

- Matt Cleament, Cubs

- Raul Gonzalez, Mets

- Russ Branyan, Reds

- Randy Wolf, Phillies

- John Lackey, Angels

- Tim Saarloos, Astros

- Casey Fossum, Red Sox