TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Black Lushus

Good Friends, Better Enemies

hey, the IYH I went to is on right now, Good Friends, Better Enemies. Features a pretty fun Diesel/HBK brawl for the title...the rest of the card is rather forgetable.

For all the people that trash Cena for his "Superman" act, I dare them to rewatch 1996 Shawn Michaels and compare!

Haven't watched it, but it looks shit-tastic in some ways, others not. I'll post a non-spoiler listing of the midcard for those interested in that sort of thing.

The 1-2-3 Kid vs. Marc Mero

Owen Hart and The British Bulldog Jake Roberts and Ahmed Johnson

The Ultimate Warrior vs. Goldust for the WWF Intercontinental Championship

Razor Ramon vs. Vader

The Godwinns vs. The Bodydonnas for the WWF Tag Team Titles

Discuss. I'm not doing the blog thing anymore, so when I finish watching I'll just throw out some star ratings and passages.

One of the WWF/E's biggest "WTF? moments" (and that's saying alot) occurred during this show, as Maurice Vachon's prosthetic leg became a pivotal device in the outcome of the main event.

I'm not doing the blog thing anymore

I'm sorry to hear that but if you're still going to be throwing comments out in the threads, that's cool.

I'm waiting for Part 1 to show up by the biggest memory of watching this show live (and by "watching live" I mean scribblevision) was Vince saying "I think people are surprised at how much offense Razor is getting in on Vader" or a similar line. At the time I thought it was an insider comment about people knowing Razor was leaving and thus would think he was going to be squashed. I realize now it probably meant he was putting over Vader and not burying Hall... but I suppose it could have been both.

On that note, I really wanted to see the Vader/Razor match. I bet it sucks but I figured it would be a good big man / power match.

I haven't seen it in a decade but I remember liking this show. Maybe it was because it took place right around the time I was coming back from my yearish long hiatus from watching wrestling, maybe it was my already low expectations for these In Your House shows but I liked it. I remember Razor Ramon/Vader being a pretty good match in the *** range and 123 Kid Vs Marc Mero is probably decent as well.. The only thing on the card that outright sucked was The Ultimate Warrior Vs Goldust

I'm sorry to hear that but if you're still going to be throwing comments out in the threads, that's cool.

It lasted longer than I thought it would, but I just don't have the time anymore. Nor do I have the concentration, and it was starting to get to a point where I didn't enjoy anything I watched. Kinda like Scott Keith, but I haven't done it for nearly as long. I don't know how he still does.

This way, I can watch about 5-7 hours of wrestling in a day, or start, watch some of a show, and finish a day or two later. More fun this way.

I'm waiting for Part 1 to show up by the biggest memory of watching this show live (and by "watching live" I mean scribblevision) was Vince saying "I think people are surprised at how much offense Razor is getting in on Vader" or a similar line. At the time I thought it was an insider comment about people knowing Razor was leaving and thus would think he was going to be squashed. I realize now it probably meant he was putting over Vader and not burying Hall... but I suppose it could have been both.

I'm certain that it was an insider comment. During the build to the match, Cornette cut a promo talking about how after this match "Razor Ramon would no longer exist" or something along those lines.

It lasted longer than I thought it would, but I just don't have the time anymore. Nor do I have the concentration, and it was starting to get to a point where I didn't enjoy anything I watched. Kinda like Scott Keith, but I haven't done it for nearly as long. I don't know how he still does.

This way, I can watch about 5-7 hours of wrestling in a day, or start, watch some of a show, and finish a day or two later. More fun this way.

This is pretty much why the recaps I told Meltzer I'd write months and months ago never got written. I've written I think 3 show recaps for them and because I do kinda take pride in my writing, I don't half ass it. This means I have to take very specific notes. When I did two episodes of SmackDown, the recaps took me longer to write than the shows took to watch, and I didn't tape them. When I did Black Saturday I had the advantage of it being VOD so I could pause and rewind, but again, 44 minute show that took FOREVER to write about properly. Really gives you respect for Todd Martin's excellent Raw recaps and the face Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez have to write and recap EVERY SHOW in this manner for their newsletter.

That said, I absolutely love writing house show and taping reports. I tend to have a good memory for the key points and take brief notes that don't distract from my enjoyment while at the show.

Yeah, none of this has anything to do with GFBE...

Owen/Bulldog vs. Ahmed/Jake Roberts was actually somewhat entertaining with cute moments featuring Bulldog basically running like a bitch whenever Ahmed is tagged in.

The Warrior/Goldust thing was utter shit...15 minutes too long of utter shit as Dustin couldn't work that night thanks to a bad leg. Sadly, the couldn't find something else for Warrior to do.

I haven't gotten to Razor/Vader yet but I remember it being a halfway decent match. It wasn't a squash or anything and it didn't really give you the impression Scott Hall was on his way out either.

get a load of the dark matches: Savio Vega vs. Steve Austin (who had some decent matches at the time) and Undertaker vs. Mankind.

So instead of those matches, we get Warrior wasting literally 15 minutes and the Godwinns vs. the Body Donnas...

One thing to note following HBK's win...as he celebrates, Bulldog and Diana Smith come out to the aisle to confront HBK only to be held back by the officials...unknown to us in the crowd at the time was the stuff covered in the little extra thing Dok hendrix was doing backstage that the PPV audience go to see. So of course, we were all like uhhhh what's Davey doing out here?

This show is largely forgettable outside of the main event, which is of course one of Nash's best matches ever (basically all good Nash stuff involves either Bret, HBK, maybe also Razor). The Owen/Bulldog match was just whatever, went on a bit too long for what it was. Razor/Vader was decent enough but in retrospect you can see that Hall is leaving.

I do remember the next day at school a guy I knew ranted about the main event of this PPV and how much he disliked it. He was like "That Michaels and Diesel match was stupid. Diesel beat his ass almost the entire match, then finally Shawn hit one superkick and pinned him." I think this sort of booking did Shawn no favors. I don't recall anyone batting an eye when Bret beat Diesel because we had been conditioned to think Bret could outwrestle a big man. HBK didn't have that sort of wrestling technician credibility, so it came off like he was a guy who got his ass kicked most of a match and got the win because, well, he was simply booked to win.