TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

Fight of the Year Discussion

Alright, we're nearing the end of the year, and I think there's no bigger, better, debate than Fight of the Year for 2005. It's my hope that we can get up all the possible nominees, so everyone can judge for themselves and help foster discussion.

I have 4 fights on my drive that I will be uploading over the next week.

Up first, Uno/Hansen from HEROS.

hxxp://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0FHDQRDW791HW2R2FO44I0UM77

So feel free to upload some of 2005's best or reup if necessary, I'll be adding Nog/Tokoro, Cro Cop/Fedor, and Lytle/Healy hopefully sometime this week.

An impressive performance by Fedor, but I don't think it was a "fight of the year" level match. I'd probably replace it with Sakurai/Hansen, though that may simply be my Mach bias coming out.

I think it was. I see that match as the cumulation of so much and, like, every exchange -at least to me- is exciting. But then again, I'm a Fedor mark. I differ from a lot of people in that a match doesn't have to be a war, or even that competitive for it to be a great match. To me, a great enough performance can make for a great match. Fedor's strategy in that fight is sublime.

I'm downloading the Bushido Tournament, I'll try to get some of those matches up within the next month. If MMA were judged like Pro Wrestling, Hansen would get considerable thought for Fighter of the Year given the quality of his matches against Uno, Edwards, and Sakurai. Even his match against Imanari was so much fun. Lei, have you seen his August SHOOTO match? Heard anything about it?

Very, very tough year for this and 2006 looks like it may get just as hard.

I'd have to go with Bonnar/Griffin because while it isn't the prettiest fight technically it's by far the most emotionally involved I've ever gotten in anything related to MMA.

I'd have to add my vote to Bonnar/Griffin as well. You have to respect two guys just giving everything they have in there like they did. I swear that fight had NO lulls in it.

I'm all for guys using technique and strategy to wins fights- Bonnar/Griffin was the exception here. All they knew was that they had to keep swinging or the other guy would fuck them up eventually.

It's funny re-watching that and seeing Forrest's reaction at the end. He clearly thought that Bonnar was taking it.

Bonnar/Griffen pretty much convinced me that WWEized wrestling can never duplicate what that match did as I was and still am a slowly learning MMA fan.

Maybe it's not the MOTY for some but it's my favorite match i've seen this year

2005 in Review (I don't know who to credit for uploading these, since I've found them copied and pasted elsewhere):

Griffin vs Bonnar

hxtp://rapidshare.de/files/2339324/Forrest_Griffin_vs_Stephan_Bonnar.wmv.html

Jens Pulver vs Taisho

hxtp://rapidshare.de/files/1942589/Jens_Pulver_vs_Taisho.avi.html

Bushido7 Yves Edwards vs Dokonjonosuke Mishima

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=16U708EF

Bushido7 Gomi Vs Azeredo

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=16FS8VBQ

Bennett vs MaedaOK

htxp://rapidshare.de/files/1939950/Charles_Bennett_vs_Yoshiro_Maeda.avi.html

Josh Thomson vs Sugie

htxp://rapidshare.de/files/3128130/Bushido_8_-_Josh_Thomson_vs_Sugie.WMV.html

Takanori Gomi Vs Jean Silva

hxtp://www.megaupload.com/?d=25W4TLG0

Ryo Chonan Vs Phil Baroni

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=25WY8QY0

Evan Tanner Vs Rich Franklin 2 (UFC 53)

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=35HGDKGF

Matt Hughes Vs Frank Trigg 2 (UFC 52)

hxtp://www.megaupload.com/?d=35RVB4XA

Quinton Jackson Vs Shogun Rua (Pride MwGp05)

hxtp://www.megaupload.com/?d=22PBE5GN

Shogun Rua Vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.Pt.1 (Pride Cc MwGp05)

hxtp://www.megaupload.com/?d=35PQI5QA

Shogun Rua Vs Antonio Rogerio Nogueira.Pt.2 (Pride Cc MwGp05)

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=41JBGLRA

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Vs Dan Henderson (Pride Te MwGp05)

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=428M9YHT

B.J. Penn Vs Renzo Gracie (Full)(K-1 WGP Hawaii)

hxtp://www.megaupload.com/?d=41SJJVI9

Tito Ortiz Vs Vitor Belfort (UFC 51)

hxtp://www.megaupload.com/?d=434QB8GN

David loiseau Vs Charles McCarthy (UFC 53)

hxtp://www.megaupload.com/?d=40JNGZGK

Mike "Quick" Swick Vs Gideon Ray (UFC Ultimate Fight Nite 1)

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=42JQIGOO

Sergei Kharitonov Vs Choi Mu Bae

hxtp://www.megaupload.com/?d=43QRQPK2

Dennis Hallman Vs Jorge Rivera

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=0ODBR5C1

Forrest Griffin Vs Elvis Sinosic

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=ES0DHLOB

Chael Sonnen Vs Renato Sobral

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=943275C6

Ron Faircloth Vs Alessio Sakara

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=NEDW4X28

Andrei Arlovski Vs Paul Buentello

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=46B542LF

Sean Gannon Vs Brandon Lee Hinkle

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=CEVB0NRV

Pe de pano vs kunihara

htxp://www.megaupload.com/?d=9DZPYIXK

Riggs vs Little

htxp://www.spread-it.com/dl.php?id=7925213d2339a1ab016c9d94edd2ff680a8f68ce

St Pierre vs Sherk

hxtp://www.megaupload.com/?d=WW456GV2

Horn vs. Prangley

hxtp://www.megaupload.com/?d=EENZGSPH

Franklin vs. Quarry

xttp://www.megaupload.com/?d=324MUX3J

Hoger vs. Newton

hxtp://www.megaupload.com/?d=P3EKS6Y8

Edited by RavishingRickRudo

That saves me a lot of time and discs on doing this for NMB.

Hey Brian, I tried to send you a PM but either your inbox is full or you have it disabled.

Anyway, I voted for Gomi/Kawajiri on mmaweekly.

Edited by benoitrulz4life

Gomi/Kawajiri has to be one of the most overrated matches of the year in my opinion. Hearing Mauro ramble on about how important and great it was annoyed me. I would say that there were three fights on the show alone that were better, probably more.

Gomi/Kawajiri has to be one of the most overrated matches of the year in my opinion. Hearing Mauro ramble on about how important and great it was annoyed me. I would say that there were three fights on the show alone that were better, probably more.

Yeah, but there were NO slow parts in that fight. So much heart from Kawajiri and Gomi proved all of his doubters (me and Lei Tong included) wrong. I loved Bonnar/Griffin, but just like the two fights from the last finale, they ended up gassing at the end at it became really sloppy as a result. See also: Minowa/Baroni 1.

But Kawajiri fought a shit fight. The equivalent of that would be if Mirko came out against Fedor and started throwing these loopy hooks that he's not known for. Kawajiri's shots were from halfway across the ring, and I don't know why, but he just seemed like a different fighter. Don't take this as me apologizing on his behalf, I'm not. His performance doesn't disappoint me as a fan of a fighter, it disappoints me as a fan of fighting. I wanted to see a technical, action packed battle, or at the very least something that had both fighters fighting to their potential. I just saw a one-sided Bonnar/Griffin without any of the significance.

Hansen/Yves, Hansen/Sakurai, Hansen/Imanari if only for that KO, Hansen/Uno, Hansen Hansen Hansen...Damn, I see a trend here. Anyways, those LW fights were better.

I once again put in my vote for Trigg/Hughes 2.

I wanted to see a technical, action packed battle, or at the very least something that had both fighters fighting to their potential. I just saw a one-sided Bonnar/Griffin without any of the significance.

Ouch. It hurts because it's true.

People always harp on Nogueira/Herring being such a great fight, but its about as one sided as you can get. Of course Nogueira's style makes it so you can't see the dominance as far as physical damage is concerned, like Fedor/Herring. Does that makes sense? Same goes for Frye/Takayama, one sided beating and many people tout that as one of, if not the, greatest "fights," myself included.

That probably didn't make much sense.

Speaking of Frye, rumors are being tossed about of a JLB/Frye fight for K-1's NYE show. I smell another brutal beating, Jerome is just too strong for Frye to control and defeat. Also Cro Cop vs. Hunt is being confirmed by some sources, but until I see it on Pride's website, Kakutougi, or Sherdog's front page, I'm not gonna take it seriously.

I wish I saved the picture of Frye I saw of him recently at a pro wrestling show.

It's on sherdog, of which I'm not a member, if you just search for recent Don Frye threads, like within the last month or so, you should find it. It was sad, to say the least.

Any display of skill, whether in a highly competitve match or a one-sided drubbing makes for a good-excellent match depending on the level of skill displayed.

Both Fedor/Nog fights, to me, are excellent matches. Fedor is brilliant in them. When it comes to fighting, to completely shut down an opponent an amazing thing.

Any display of skill, whether in a highly competitve match or a one-sided drubbing makes for a good-excellent match depending on the level of skill displayed.

Both Fedor/Nog fights, to me, are excellent matches. Fedor is brilliant in them. When it comes to fighting, to completely shut down an opponent an amazing thing.

I was actually gonna bring that up, but decided against it since BR4L essentially dropped the issue. There's a good one-sided fight and bad. Both Fedor Nog fights are cases of the former, and it is of my belief that this was a case of the latter.

Funny you should bring up the same examples, though those are the two easiest to bring up.

FUck I have been posting a lot in the last couple of hours, I gotta eat, or something.

Since Frye has been mentioned, I think it bears stating that he's always been overrated to some extent, and has by and large sucked since his return to MMA.

Since Frye has been mentioned, I think it bears stating that he's always been overrated to some extent, and has by and large sucked since his return to MMA.

He's pretty good when fighting American cans, I just think it's another issue of the game passing him by. He's also pretty small for a HW, at least when he's not on the juice. Judging by those pro wrestling pics, he's off it. When he was on it, he usually gassed pretty quickly.

Still a fun fighter to watch, win or lose because he's tough as nails, and is always moving forward. He's sort of like Flair, where he can carry fighters to better matches whether he wins or loses. Although even he has his limits when it comes to making a Coleman fight entertaining :P