TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mik

Man vs. Food

Anyone watch this marvel of a show on the Travel channel?

Guy has the greatest job in the world. He basically travels the US and tackles insane restaurant eating challenges.

The craziest one I've seen so far is probably the "Hottest Curry" in the US... the cook prepared it wearing a gas mask. He won the challenge by eating an entire meal of this curry, which I believe was 60x hotter than a jalapeno.

8 lb hamburger, 11 pound pizza, 70 ounce steak are a few of the other ones I've seen.

Basically it's the greatest show ever.

Guest Vitamin X

I know there's a place here called Salvador Molly's which makes this dish called "Great Balls of Fire" which is supposed to be getting featured on that show (or it already has- back in early December is when they came down).

And don't forget in between challenges, he fills up on platefuls of comfort food. Delicious.

I'm looking forward to the oyster plate challenge. That looked like a shit ton of seafood.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The Carnivore pizza. I'd make that thing my bitch. I can eat absurd amounts of food, so long as it's not in a 12 minute timespan or whatever, like those Hot Dog Contest guys.

Damnit! I've been wanting to watch this show, and I just found out that a marathon began at 1, so I missed 5 episodes. Atleast I have 3 more to watch..the oyster one and the ones in Boston and Pittsburgh.

Voodoo donuts, actually. Those massive pancakes are from another place.

I just called up a buddy to see if he wanted to go get some of those habanero fritters. We've got it penciled in for this weekend. I'll report back with my success (or lack thereof).

The preview next week shows the 12-egg omelet from Beth's in Seattle. I've actually eaten one of those. I threw up all over the park next to Green Lake on the walk home. Too much egg.

Guest Vitamin X
I just called up a buddy to see if he wanted to go get some of those habanero fritters. We've got it penciled in for this weekend. I'll report back with my success (or lack thereof).

The preview next week shows the 12-egg omelet from Beth's in Seattle. I've actually eaten one of those. I threw up all over the park next to Green Lake on the walk home. Too much egg.

I am going to get the habanero fritters this weekend as well, funny enough. Apparently Salvador Molly's has a lot of actual Cuban food too, so I'm pretty excited about checking it out- a quick bus ride on the 44 from downtown.

I reeeeally wanted to try the 12 egg omelet from Beth's while I was up in Seattle a couple weeks ago. Didn't get a chance to, but I bet you I could eat 4 of them.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I am going to get the habanero fritters this weekend as well, funny enough. Apparently Salvador Molly's has a lot of actual Cuban food too, so I'm pretty excited about checking it out- a quick bus ride on the 44 from downtown.

I reeeeally wanted to try the 12 egg omelet from Beth's while I was up in Seattle a couple weeks ago. Didn't get a chance to, but I bet you I could eat 4 of them.

What else is in the omelette and how long do you get to eat it? I could eat a dozen eggs easy.

You can get whatever you want in the omelet. I don't even remember what I had in mine.

The throwing up was about 50% from the egg and 50% due to the copious amounts of alcohol I had before hand.

Guest Vitamin X
Hey VX, where is Salvador Molly's? I think they SW on the show, but I can't place it.

Salvador Molly's is in SW, just off Capitol Highway and Sunset. I take the 44 up from downtown and get off at Sunset and walk a couple blocks up to the place, pretty close.

I didn't watch the show, but I heard the guy couldn't finish the fritters- supposedly they use 10 pounds of habaneros in the sauce. That's just ridiculous. If it was nationally televised, I don't think I'd give a shit though- let the sweat, tears and snot flow, I'll conquer that. This guy's something of a wuss- tubby dude that can eat a lot, but can't handle crazy food, I guess. Portland wins again.

What else is in the omelette and how long do you get to eat it? I could eat a dozen eggs easy.

Here's the menu. I'd probably go for the bacon one, myself. Don't think it should be that hard to eat it, it's more the task that faces you in the bathroom afterwards that's going to be something extraordinary.

Hey VX, where is Salvador Molly's? I think they SW on the show, but I can't place it.

Salvador Molly's is in SW, just off Capitol Highway and Sunset. I take the 44 up from downtown and get off at Sunset and walk a couple blocks up to the place, pretty close.

I didn't watch the show, but I heard the guy couldn't finish the fritters- supposedly they use 10 pounds of habaneros in the sauce. That's just ridiculous. If it was nationally televised, I don't think I'd give a shit though- let the sweat, tears and snot flow, I'll conquer that. This guy's something of a wuss- tubby dude that can eat a lot, but can't handle crazy food, I guess. Portland wins again.

Hmm... I don't know about that. He did finish the curry challenge which was supposedly 60x hotter than a jalapeno. The chef who prepared it wore a gasmask. He ate the whole bowl. He also finished a wing challenge that was supposed to be 40x jalapeno.

Guest Vitamin X

A habanero is about as hot an edible pepper as it gets. And a jalapeno isn't that spicy- it's fairly low on the scoville scale... like pretty much the beginning of what you'd call "spicy".

Either way, apparently I had heard wrong- according to wiki, Adam was able to win the habanero challenge. Now I'm going to look like a total wuss if I don't do it. I only got accustomed to eating habaneros about a couple months ago without a problem (and in the process, probably ruining my palette since that's what spicy stuff does in the long run). I still have problems consuming a lot of Aardvark sauce (that's this guy right here), so this might be difficult.

If I was closer to Portland, I would love to have the fritters. I wonder if there are any challenges near LA or Sacramento.

EDIT: There's an LA one in two weeks with the Orochon Ramen challenge, another spice challenge.

Guest Vitamin X

Okay, so I went down to Salvador Molly's today (couldn't make it over the weekend- sorry Cheech!) and absolutely destroyed this challenge. I got all nice and ready too, eating a little bit beforehand, had a nice big glass of milk ready just in case, and a fine alcoholic beverage (they do a real Cuba Libre there!) beforehand.

Then the great balls of fire came out and I annihilated them- with all the sauce- in under 4-5 minutes. My friend who was sitting across from me was shocked, telling me the guy from Man vs Food was all whining and shit on the third one. I figured it must have been hyped up for TV or something because honestly, the heat kicked in around the 4th one or so and yeah, the sauce was definitely what makes it really killer. The fritters themselves are actually really quite good, though. Overall, I only needed like half a glass of milk cumulatively to kill the heat from the challenge- the waitress was shocked and told me I should try to enter this contest they're having later this month for the King and Queen of Heat contest where you try to eat as many of them as possible, and I guess you win a cash prize and a chef's dinner for 12. Apparently last year, the winning guy ate fucking 40 Great Balls of Fire, with sauce too!

THAT'S impressive. I didn't get to put my picture up on the wall though, because I had to run out of the place to catch a bus back downtown for something I had to go to. I'll do it next time I go though again, although the waitress said if I came in while she was working she'd just take the picture. Pretty damn good stuff, I'll recommend it to anyone here who likes spicy as hell shit.

I was impressed to see him take down the Big Texan so fast...72 oz steak, baked potato, shrimp cocktail and dinner salad in 29 minutes.

Awesome show, and I want to try a couple of the places in Seattle when I go up there next...especially the place where they dump the food on the table.

I'm looking forward to the LA episode to find some new places to eat.

Been a huge fan of this show since the beginning, great show. I cannot believe that he did not finish the eggs. With that little amount of eggs left, I would gladly vomit after the fact in order to win the challenge.

The only restaurant from an episode I have been to is the Schmidt Haus in Columbus. The all-you-can eat Autobahn buffet is tremendous and is actually a pretty good deal at $12.95.

He really has the technique down for the spicy challenges: Eat the food as quick as possible and have some dairy around so you endure the least amount of burn. That said, the San Jose challenge is going to be a fun one to watch: 12 habanero hot wings in 10 minutes, and no food or drink for 5 minutes after completing it. Masochism at its finest.

Also, 120 ounces of malt milkshakes is the challenge this week. Oh damn, that's puke-tastic.

Guest Vitamin X
He really has the technique down for the spicy challenges: Eat the food as quick as possible and have some dairy around so you endure the least amount of burn.

Yeah that's how I did the Salvador Molly's thing. Problem is, the fire burns through your asshole a while afterwards.