TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSMAdmin

The Smart Marks Friday News Update

Guest TSMAdmin

Yo, wassup people? Yeah, I know I should have had a news update done two days ago, but when the biggest story out is Rick Steiner signing with the NWA:TNA, then you KNOW it’s a slow ass week in wrestling. On the personal side of things, I didn’t have a PC in which to do the update on because my brother took it without telling me(I was out with some friends drinking), so needless to say, I was a bit pissed off Tuesday night.

Something else I have to touch on before getting with the update: I did not watch RAW due to my satellite being out, but needless to say, despite what many of the HBK fans would lead you to believe, I would never have marked out for it. Simply put in the nicest way, I’m tired of the nostalgia trip. HBK, the N-W-O(damn Microsoft Word), and Hulk Hogan, it’s all lame to me. Of course this may get interpreted as “typical bitter smark BS”, but fuck that. I don’t HAVE to mark out for crippled has-beens coming back just when the product started making some strides in the right direction. If anything, Shawn’s return screws Booker T right up the ass as far as character development goes. What if when Booker finally does turn face, the crowd turns on HIM just because Micheals and the rest of the geezers/lazy/no-talent hacks are cheered just because of who they were 5-6 years ago? Granted, what I just said was pretty out there, but look at what happened with Hogan and Rock. It’s pretty much the SAME THING.

Another thing is that HBK is obviously not going to wrestle(at least I hope and pray he doesn’t). The guy’s been away from actual in-ring action for over 4 years now. With Austin, he had the ring rust too, but he also hit the ground running and by November, he was putting on some good matches with Chris Benoit and Eddy Guerrero before having such an awesome 2001 and being the WWE MVP. I don’t expect the HBK thing to work out for the long run because he’s basically just another mouthpiece for the faction and they don’t need anymore talkers.

Okay, that’s my mindless rant for the week, so let’s get to the nitty gritty, eh?

SMACKDOWN OVERNIGHT RATING

Smackdown got a 4.4 overnight rating for Thursday. While that may not mean too much on the final rating, it break some not-so-great ground with the show being the lowest on this year and the main event, which featured HHH vs. Hulk Hogan, was the lowest rated main in the history of the show. Well, I guess we have until the next show to see if giving Heyman the book was a good idea, eh?

Please credit Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer

KING OF THE RING CARD CLEARING UP

Well, Kurt Angle said on the Good Morning Atlanta show that he and Hogan are a lock for King of the Ring, so that along with Undertaker/HHH, Steve Austin/Eddy Guerrero, the Tournament semis and finals, and maybe Jamie Knoble/Hurricane for the Cruiserweight Title, I’d say the card looks a lot better than Judgment Day’s did last month, that’s for sure. Honestly, I expect Hogan to job here since he IS on his farewell tour with the company, but somehow, I just have a this nagging thought in the back of my mind… Also, be sure to check out the site after the PPV for The SmartMarks Crossface as we all rundown how the show went and offer our unique opinions on the matches.

Please credit Dave Scherer of 1wrestling.com

ROSS REPORT: INJURY UPDATE

Jim Ross pumped out a short Ross Report today and here’s the Injury Update from it taken from 1wrestling.com:

Injury Report:

- Triple H had his right elbow lock up on him, and he had X-Rays done on it. The X-Rays came back negative, but one doctor believes that there may be fragments in there. Triple H had an MRI, which will go to Dr. James Andrews.

- Edge's MRI showed a tear in his shoulder. He saw Dr. Andrews and surgery is not needed at this time. He will undergo therapy for two weeks, then be able to resume normal training. Ross said it will probably be a month before he can return to the ring.

- Tim White will have surgery on his rotator cuff tear from the Hell in the Cell match on June 19th.

- The Godfather has been having neck pain. He went to his chiropractor and X-Rays showed abnormalities with his C-6 vertebrae. He is looking for an orthopedist.

- Mike Awesome is recovering from his knee surgery. They expect him to get a full release from the doctor, then he will be sent to Cincinnati for conditioning.

- Maven will be out four to six weeks with his broken fibula.

- Kanyon is ready to return.

-Kevin Nash is seeing Dr. Andrews on June 11th, and should be released to full action at that time.

- Kane has been allowed to start training with light weights. He is expected to be ready to come back in two months.

Man, HHH just can’t catch a break, can he? First the quad goes, then he cracks his kneecap, and now he has fragments in his elbow. Shit, although he may not want too, I’d recommend HHH take a few weeks off because there is no reason for him to be tempting the Injury Fairy anymore than necessary.

Please credit Buck Woodward of 1wrestling.com

That’s about it for the WWE, it’s time for some Indy/Shootfighting newsbits, bayybeee…

COLEMAN OUT FOR PRIDE 21

It’s being reported by wrestlingobserver.com that Mark Coleman has pulled out of his PRIDE 21 match with Don Frye due to an injury he suffered while training yesterday morning. Kevin Randleman reportedly wants the match, but some think that it wouldn’t be a good idea since they have to fill up a 27,000+ arena for the show.

Please credit Dave Meltzer of The WrestlingObserver

BAGWELL PROMOTES THE NWA

Yes, Buffy Boy has been hired by the Jarretts and he appeared on WAAY-31 Morning News in Huntsville, Ala. to put over the PPV on the 19th and hopefully get more than just some internet diehards to give a flying fuck about the promotion. I still say this weekly PPV bullshit is the WRONG way to introduce the fed, but hey, what the hell do I know?

Please credit Wade Keller of The Pro Wrestling Torch

Well folks, that about does it for today and again, I apologize for not doing anything earlier this week, so expect me to be WAY more consistent with the news.

About the NBA Finals, I’m a diehard Kings fan and in my mind, the Finals ended on Sunday, so I will NOT be watching the slaughter of the Nets and will instead spend m time pursuing other things like baseball or maybe even watch a few old wrestling tapes, ya know?

Dames will be hitting you up over the weekend again and I’m in the midst of writing a column that should be up on Saturday, so be sure to peep that, too.

With that in mind, I leave you with this lil’ quote here:

“God is in Heaven and all is right with the world” – NERV

Peace.

Byron Vester

The SmartMarks.com

E-mail: [email protected]

Sign in to follow this