TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest FELX and GRUNT AND TAUNTY

Tell me everything you know about Sushi.

Particularly what the uninitiated should order.

The woman and I have found a decent place nearby. I'll eat anything, so this is more for her benefit.

Sushi me.

You may not want to order sea urchin.

For rolls, they've gotten quite imaginative, and quite a bit of it features cooked food, so you might want to start there.

Going off of the California roll, a slightly more advanced version of that is the rainbow roll, which is a California roll with sashimi on top.

For non-roll sushi, Unagi (BBQ Eel) is generally a safe bet.

By the way, the best thing to do for your first time is sit at the sushi bar. The sushi chef should be able to explain a lot to you.

If you are thinking about going to a sushi buffet, make sure it is made-to-order and not a place where they make a bunch and it sits out forever until people eat it.

Rolls are good, but sometimes all the mayonaise-y sauce just gets in the way of the good taste of the fish. Most people get into Sushi by ordering rolls, but then develop a taste for this fish itself and start ordering Sashimi or Nigiri instead.

I live by a place that is all you can eat made to order for $13.95 which is pretty much the price of one "premium" roll anywhere else. It's hella good.

If you are new to wasabi, mix it with soy sauce before applying to sushi. Unless you hate soy sauce of course.

Look around before you decide on a place as Sushi can be expensive for the amount you actually get. Try and stay away from trendy areas because they tend to charge more merely for the part of town they are located in.

Guest Vitamin X

Ah, sushi. One of my favorite foods, if not outright favorite. You just can't go wrong with naturally beautifully presented raw fish. Unless, of course, the place is bad. California rolls are for philistines. Don't bother with it if you want real sushi, and I know you're the adventurous type so it's going to be a letdown for you if you try the conventional stuff. I think a lot of it at first is going to depend on how the place is like- if you are in a sushi spot where you sit down at a sushi bar and there's a little boat/train/conveyor belt thing in front of you rotating sushi around the bar, that's not really an upscale sushi spot. Here you can try anything, although my favorite sushi to eat by far is salmon nigiri (because of my huge freakin boner for salmon).

If you have the chance whatever and it seems like a nice spot where you actually have to order your sushi, the biggest compliment you can give to a sushi chef is to sit down and say, "Omakase!" That means chef's choice, and that essentially gives the chef the ability to present you with an excellent meal with flavors that balance out with each other and that will make it easy on you, starting maybe with whitefish and then moving on to other kinds to appeal to your palate and so on. While I'm always super cautious of ordering mussels at any restaurant, I always love, love, love the kind they serve at most sushi places- they're usually baked and have this creamy mayo thing on top and it's really damn good. Eel is another one that's really good for being a "weird" one. You can try the octopus for the weird factor also, but I personally don't like it- it's too rubbery and tough for my liking.

There's a couple of those train/boat/conveyor belt sushi places right by my house, and the biggest advantage to going to those is that they're insanely cheap. As you can imagine, the left coast is pretty crazy about sushi, but in California those $14 or $20 all you can eat places are pretty standard (I haven't been lucky enough to find one elsewhere) but the places by my house will do like $1.50 per plate, and you can satisfy your hunger for probably less than $20. Another thing to note about wasabi: It usually isn't wasabi. Actual wasabi root is only grown in two places in the entire world- the Pacific Northwest (particularly my little corner of it) and Japan. I am not even kidding you about that. The wasabi you're going to be getting at most places is actually like a colored horseradish root. The ginger is usually there to cleanse the palate as well- wasabi is pretty damn enjoyable but even if you don't like it, I'd still suggest eating the ginger piece after every dish you get.

Good luck with that.

Spicy Tuna.

I've had this. Tasty.

California Roll is an obvious safety if you need to ease her in.

I've had this. Shrug. She might like it.

Don't eat it if your a Ultimate Fighter.

I don't know what this means.

You may not want to order sea urchin.

I've had this. Repellent.

For non-roll sushi, Unagi (BBQ Eel) is generally a safe bet

That's probably the direction this is going to lead for her.

If you are thinking about going to a sushi buffet, make sure it is made-to-order and not a place where they make a bunch and it sits out forever until people eat it

This is the first thing I investigated. Checks out. They don't serve much sashimi there, which leads me to believe they realize this is Indiana, and that ordering their ingredients in from Japan and the west coast means the food is neither fresh nor cost-effective. The sashimi they do offer is ubiquitous.

Try and stay away from trendy areas because they tend to charge more merely for the part of town they are located in.

Trendy area of Ft. Wayne. lol.

my favorite sushi to eat by far is salmon nigiri (because of my huge freakin boner for salmon).

This is more my style. Rich feesh.

If you have the chance whatever and it seems like a nice spot where you actually have to order your sushi, the biggest compliment you can give to a sushi chef is to sit down and say, "Omakase!" That means chef's choice, and that essentially gives the chef the ability to present you with an excellent meal with flavors that balance out with each other and that will make it easy on you, starting maybe with whitefish and then moving on to other kinds to appeal to your palate and so on.

Should our visits to this place prove good and they're not busy, I'll probably try this.

While I'm always super cautious of ordering mussels at any restaurant, I always love, love, love the kind they serve at most sushi places- they're usually baked and have this creamy mayo thing on top and it's really damn good

I will not eat any mussel I do not prepare myself.

Going out later today. I will try to eat nearly damn anything, so I'm going to go nuts. Prices here are reasonable, but not cheap[/]. On my last visit, I was testing the waters and had their shrimp habachi, which was delicious. The place was clean enough for me to trust them with the raw goods.

Had sushi the other day. I can now eat with chopsticks, I have mastered it. As a concept, it'll still retarded. They've seen the fork. Farmers aren't going out and plowing forty acres with a couple of pool cues.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I don't have any trouble with chopsticks.

I had a combination of three different rolls last night. Two flavors of tuna, and salmon. She had a gigantic bowl of chicken udon, since it was cold out.

Her sushi hang-up: Nori. Doesn't like the seaweed.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Again tonight. Had Octopus, Eel, Crab, Shrimp, and tuna.

Tobiko. That's some good stuff, that tobiko.

Guest Vitamin X

What did you think of Octopus? I personally dislike sushi Crab and Shrimp, but I love Eel and Tuna. Tobiko is pretty interesting, too. What color was it? They taste different depending on variety. I like the yellow and orange ones best.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I really liked the Octopus. Totally a textural thing, since the flavor was so mild. Had it served cold with vinegar, carrot, and cucumber. Very pleasant appetizer. I'm all about firm fleshy textures, though. Very clean-tasting. Simply done, though a little more seasoning would've been nice.

The roll combo I had was a spicy crab and shrimp mixture, then with BBQ eel and Spicy Tuna, which comes with nearly everything on the menu, it seems.

She took a stab at the crab and shrimp, and liked it much more than the roll I had on the previous visit. (She's tiptoeing into things, whereas I yell "Cannonball" and jump)

I quite liked the crab/shrimp. Served warm, with a spicy topping, and the orange tobiko. A little busy (2 toppings? probably unnecessary), but it mixed well with the sweetness in the shellfish. Nice contrast to the simplicity and acid with the octopus appetizer.

We ate some Oshinko as well, which was parenthetically billed as "Japanese pickle." Tasted more like a basic cucumber and onion salad. Not nearly briny enough to where I'd consider it a "pickle."

Have some toru tuna then report back to me :-)

If you do not like it, then my apologies, but it's for comparison sakes, the fillet Mignon of the sushi world. A little pricey but worth it.

One of the local places has a "Volcano Roll" which is crab stick, masago, and spicy mayo baked and poured over a California roll. It's very good. I'm mad that they won't sell the volcano sauce with any other rolls though, so I just order that roll with another roll I think would serve it well, and just mix and match. (not an insult to the chef if he doesn't see you is my theory).

I concur on the Rainbow Roll sentiment. Very good middle of the road roll for the novice. (and still darn tasty regardless)

Locally we have a "Hawaii 5-0 Roll" which is a snow crab roll covered in 5 different roe, really colorful and beautiful. It tastes good too though the overflow of Roe popping in your mouth is a little different.

I'm more of a fan of nori wrapped sushi than the soy paper ones.

I'm wanting to try eel again. The one time I had it was from a delivery place. You can imagine the results, predictably. The thing is, because I didn't enjoy it, I don't want to spend the money AGAIN and run the risk of disliking it again, so I am thinking I need to go with an eel fan and just give them that roll if my palate still rejects it.

Also, I must recommend you speak with your chef about a good sake recommendation with your meal (and make sure you can hold your liquor/have a designated driver as it can sneak up on you). I had a 'milky' cold sake for my birthday, had a whole bottle, and had no regrets at all (minus the silly things I said from the buzz). Just a wonderful experience for my taste buds.

Oh another thing,

When looking over a listing of rolls and what is in them, "crab meat" is usually code for the processed imitation crab junk you find in California rolls.

If it says "crab" or "soft shell crab" then it actually means CRAB. I dunno if it's a California, or a left coast or a universal Sushi thing but at most places I have been, a "Spider Roll" usually always contains the real deal Crab or Softshell Crab and not the processed junk.

Rainbow Rolls are a mixed bag depending on where you get them. Some places, a rainbow roll is merely a California roll w/ sliver of salmon on top, but some other places they go all out with Rainbow Rolls.

I had some smoked salmon nigiri the other night, the place I go tops it off with the tiniest sliver of lemon and a few specs of pickled cabbage. It is to die for. Hell, even the regular salmon and tuna are f'n fantastic.

If it says "crab" or "soft shell crab" then it actually means CRAB. I dunno if it's a California, or a left coast or a universal Sushi thing but at most places I have been, a "Spider Roll" usually always contains the real deal Crab or Softshell Crab and not the processed junk.

Pretty certain it's universal. That's what they call it Toronto, Detroit, and Houston.

Rainbow Rolls are a mixed bag depending on where you get them. Some places, a rainbow roll is merely a California roll w/ sliver of salmon on top, but some other places they go all out with Rainbow Rolls.

Yeah, you really need to ask, but generally I've seen it covered with salmon, tuna and a lighter coloured fish.

Question for all of you - when you go to a Japanese place for sushi that you haven't been to before, what do you order to "test out" the menu? I usually order a chirashi, since you get to try a variety of fish, see how generous the cut is and also whether they'll go cheap and add the fake crab/tamago (or a lot of salmon) into the mix.

Green dragons rule.

As do spicy tuna.

As does the "eight firecracker roll" - that's basically a spicy tuna but then rolled in shichimi togarashi - that shit is hot! :)

Also - if you get the option for black & brown rice go for it. I find it's actually ligther than white rice and I don't get that bloated-full feeling afterwards.

Question for all of you - when you go to a Japanese place for sushi that you haven't been to before, what do you order to "test out" the menu? I usually order a chirashi, since you get to try a variety of fish, see how generous the cut is and also whether they'll go cheap and add the fake crab/tamago (or a lot of salmon) into the mix.

Fake tamago? How can you fake eggs? :lol:

I usually go for the maguro (tuna nigiri) ..if a restaurant is willing to spend money on good quality red tuna then it's a safe bet that everything else on the menu is great. Unless it's chicken.. something about sushi joints and disgusting dark meat chicken pieces in the dishes that call for chicken.

Fake tamago? How can you fake eggs? :lol:

I usually go for the maguro (tuna nigiri) ..if a restaurant is willing to spend money on good quality red tuna then it's a safe bet that everything else on the menu is great. Unless it's chicken.. something about sushi joints and disgusting dark meat chicken pieces in the dishes that call for chicken.

fake tamago = the egg beaters type liquid crap that restaurants use that you just nuke for 30 seconds

but yeah, maguro and toro quality are the two easiest ways to judge the place you're eating at...if they have some quality, fresh toro or maguro...you can rest assured everything else is likely fresh too

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I've had various salmon and tuna rolls, yes. Love that eel, though.

Guest Vitamin X

The eel is great, but it's kind of cheap in a way when it comes to sushi because most of the time it's cooked, not raw.

I've had various salmon and tuna rolls, yes. Love that eel, though.

screw the rolls, get some Nigiri (piece of meat laid on a small rice mound with a bit of wasabi inbetween)

sooooooo fucking good! I eat nigiri at least 3x a week at my local sushi bar :headbang:

healthy too!

Guest Vitamin X

Sounds expensive. Sushi should be an occasion, unless you live in Japan or something and have Kaitensushi and ramen shops all over the place for cheap. And if you're eating it here in America for cheap that often, you might want to rethink that idea about it being healthy.

Sounds expensive. Sushi should be an occasion, unless you live in Japan or something and have Kaitensushi and ramen shops all over the place for cheap. And if you're eating it here in America for cheap that often, you might want to rethink that idea about it being healthy.

They have a nightly special from 4-6pm only of $13.95 all you can eat...which is pretty damn cheap when you figure that two pieces of maguro usually run $6 or so by themselves :headbang:

I go so much that the chef knows me by name and automatically prepares two salmon, two maguro and two escolar when he sees me walk in

Sounds expensive. Sushi should be an occasion, unless you live in Japan or something and have Kaitensushi and ramen shops all over the place for cheap.

Or if you are under the weather. The last time that I had a cold, I had some sashimi dining and I felt much better. My colds usually last several weeks long, but this one was in the books in about five days. I have no way of proving this, but I think that it gave a positive kick to my immune system, and helped me.