TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Obi Chris Kenobi

Lasagna

Hey Guys, I love Lasagna, and its pretty much the only thing I can cook from scratch (including sauce excluding pasta sheets). I was wonder, just for a change to methods and ways, how do you guys cook it?

I usually use 2-3 different cheeses (Chedder, Mozzarella, Red Leicester) between each different layer.

I mix cottage cheese with ricotta. Bakes up really light and soft.

Man, never thought about Cottage Cheese before - seems pretty out there. Is that on the top layer?

Guest Tzar Lysergic

No. Here's what I do:

Brown and drain some ground beef, and mix it up with canned crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, dried oregano, button mushrooms, salt and pepper, and finely chopped onions. That's the sauce layers.

I just use dried pasta, since I'm not particularly good at making my own.

As I said, simply mix ricotta and cottage cheese 1:1.

Starting at the bottom, I do meat sauce, smoked mozarella, pasta, ricotta mixture, meat sauce, pasta, the rest of the ricotta and the rest of the meat sauce (I always have some of both left by this point, then top it off with pasta, mozzarella, a LOT of grated parmesan, and some parsley flakes and red pepper flakes.

I don't get where you're coming from with the cheddar.

No. Here's what I do:

Brown and drain some ground beef, and mix it up with canned crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, dried oregano, button mushrooms, salt and pepper, and finely chopped onions. That's the sauce layers.

I just use dried pasta, since I'm not particularly good at making my own.

As I said, simply mix ricotta and cottage cheese 1:1.

Starting at the bottom, I do meat sauce, smoked mozarella, pasta, ricotta mixture, meat sauce, pasta, the rest of the ricotta and the rest of the meat sauce (I always have some of both left by this point, then top it off with pasta, mozzarella, a LOT of grated parmesan, and some parsley flakes and red pepper flakes.

I don't get where you're coming from with the cheddar.

That's pretty much my grandma's recipe right there. without the mushrooms, because my family outside of me has this weird hatred for mushrooms.

Fun little mix up is the basic ground turkey instead of beef too. While different, it's really quite tasty.

And cheddar? What are we? McLasagna?

Sauce, veg, meat (usually ground turkey), ricotta, parmesean, pasta.

I put the meat and veg in with the sauce and go sauce, pasta, cheese mixture (ricotta, shredded mozzarella, parmesean) to hold the noodles together, repeat.

Will have to try that cottage cheese version though. I hate cottage cheese but the gal loves it.

Sauce, veg, meat (usually ground turkey), ricotta, parmesean, pasta.

I put the meat and veg in with the sauce and go sauce, pasta, cheese mixture (ricotta, shredded mozzarella, parmesean) to hold the noodles together, repeat.

Will have to try that cottage cheese version though. I hate cottage cheese but the gal loves it.

Max, I loathe cottage cheese in everything, it's texture is vile and I can't stand the stuff... unless it's on lasagna. Odd thing that.

I'm no fan of Lasanga. Hell I might think its one of the most overrated food dish out there.

Now Cannelloni is fucking awesome.

Why yes, it probably is my favorite food. I got hooked on the frozen Stoufers version, and then when I started like ordering it in restaurants, I was even more impressed.

Make it, though? Not likely. I can only make a few things, and that isn't one of them.

Chris, don't you like Shephard's Pie? That's pretty much British Lasagna.

Hmm, I find it really bland and boring.

No.

LIke I said, it could just have been the ones I've had. The potato seems to over take anything within the taste mixture. I've had some nice ones, but that's because they were packed with lots of different flavours. But on the whole, most of them have been pretty boring.

Lasagne

I was waiting for that. I wasn't quite sure which was correct, but didn't think I needed to bring it up for the sake of bringing it up.

I'm still not sure which to use. Being Canadian, I have a penchant for silly spellings, of course.

And shepherd's pie is probably my favourite food. I defy anyone to find a better winter comfort food. (Tourney on the horizon?)

Lasagne

I was waiting for that. I wasn't quite sure which was correct, but didn't think I needed to bring it up for the sake of bringing it up.

I'm still not sure which to use. Being Canadian, I have a penchant for silly spellings, of course.

And shepherd's pie is probably my favourite food. I defy anyone to find a better winter comfort food. (Tourney on the horizon?)

I'd vote for chili, but that's just me.

Tuna Mornay would be one of my favourite winter foods. Chilli isn't that big down here.

I'd start making Lasagne myself, just need to get the bechamel sauce right.

When I was in Italy they showed me an awesome way to cook it where you line the bottom of the pan with the lasagna pasta so that the bottom layer goes up the sides and way over the edges of the pan on all sides, you make it as normal but instead of putting on the top layer of pasta you fold all the excess of the bottom layer in so it's essentially enclosed (then add topping), keeps more moist. The trick is to line the tray with some sauce so it doesn't stick

Also, chopped up hard boiled eggs they add. Not as bad as it sounds.

Chris, don't you like Shephard's Pie? That's pretty much British Lasagna.

Hmm, I find it really bland and boring. At least the Shepard's Pies I've had.

You should try mine that I make at work. All the old people like it and they hardly ever like anything we cook for them. I think its the cheese in the potato part.

As far as lasagna goes, the best is when you replace the red spaghetti sauce with a white cheese sauce (alfredo?) and replace the meat with spinach, mushrooms and other veggies, and then throw in more cheese.

I have a pair of great baking dishes, one large and one small-medium, so I usually make two lasagnas at once. I usually do something similar to Agent's cottage cheese recipe for the smaller one. As mentioned earlier in the thread, I hate the texture of cottage cheese, but the flavor's pretty solid; once it's all melted, you don't have to worry about texture anyway.

Marv, I think an alfredo sauce might be a little heavy unless you dial back on the ricotta--I'd like it in small doses, but that seems a little excessively rich even by lasagna standards.

Yeah Alfredo Sauce Lasagna sounds like warmed over death waiting to happen. Sure you'd die really happy, but the richness. THE RICHNESS!