TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
NoCalMike

Elite XC Saturday March 29th. San Jose, CA

Frank Shamrock vs. Cung Le is the Main Event.

Joey Villasenor will be fighting Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos is also on the card.

I haven't been able to find any other match listings....

This event is taking place in San Jose which is about 2.5 hours from me. I checked ticketmaster, and tickets are still available from $30 - $75. I am thinking about going.

Drew Fickett will be challenging Jake Shields for the EliteXC Welterweight title and American Top Team Middleweight Jorge Santiago will be taking on an opponent yet to be named.

I like Cung and his fancy spin kicks, but I can't see him surviving Frank Shamrock very long in a serious bout. I think Frank's going to stand with Cung and let him do a few of his fancy spin kicks until he gets bored and gets a sub victory.

Main Card

Frank Shamrock vs Cung Le- StrikeForce MW Championship

Drew Fickett vs Jake Shields- Winner will be crowned EliteXC WW Champion

Gilbert Melendez vs Gabe Lemley- StrikeForce LW Championship

Nick Diaz vs Jae Suk Lim

Cyborg Santos vs Joey Villasenor

Pretty damned good stuff for free television, I'm actually really looking forward to Shields/Fickett and Cyborg/Joey. Hopefully Melendez comes out of his fight injury free and can join the DREAM tourney in the second round.

So I fully take back what I said earlier. This event is falling apart at the seams as Cyborg is out due to visa issues and Shields injured himself in training so either the Fickett fight is outright canceled or they'll find a replacement last-minute* and it won't be for the title.

* Nick Diaz moves up to 170 and whoops on Fickett again, hopefully.

So, now Diaz is off the card as the CSAC says that he didn't turn in his medical papers in time. Fickett is now facing Jae Suk Lim on the main card.

Wow. Fuck this show. This went from "Can't miss" to "Meh" in the span of a fucking week.

Yeah I read earlier about the Diaz situation.....fuck it I am not going anymore. Instead I will go to Oakland to see The A's vs. Indians next Saturday($15 bleacher tickets)

This Diaz "medical marijuana" issue can really turn into a big story if it turns out that the CSAC overstepped their bounds of authority.

I've heard shitty things about Armando Garcia for a while now and this pretty much just cements it. I don't think it's a coincidence that UFC hasn't announced any plans to stage shows in California since 73 aka Stacked with Steroids. The CSAC sounds like it's being run by a bunch of amateurs.

Garcia didn't do anything wrong and if he approved Diaz to fight all hell would break loose.

Pot is illegal weather a fighter has a prescription or not in the state of California. This is Nicks fault and he is stupid to not have done his research in thinking he could get sanctioned.

Garcia didn't do anything wrong and if he approved Diaz to fight all hell would break loose.

Pot is illegal weather a fighter has a prescription or not in the state of California. This is Nicks fault and he is stupid to not have done his research in thinking he could get sanctioned.

This has nothing to do with Diaz being sanctioned or not. This is about Garcia dicking EliteXC around saying that Diaz didn't have his papers in on time.

Guest Warriorfan

I'm cutting it close with the fights already underway so I will stick with the main event.

Shamrock vs Cung Le- RD 1 3:03 KO- Shamrock

Shamrock will land an overhand right and give Le his first loss.

The announcers completely no-sold those two kicks to the head right at the end of the round which ultimately ended up KO'ing Shamrock and made him not come out for the 4th.

Le picked him apart.

I don't really understand Frank's strategy. Cung Le blocked one takedown so he just decides to stand with him for three rounds?

Granted, that's great for the fans because that was an entertaining fight but minus one 30 second stretch Le just owned him.

I thought the announcers were completely biased tonight towards Cung Le... I thought it was much closer then how the announcers had it. Whenever Shamrock would land, they would completely ignore it, and whenever Le landed they would bust a nut.

Yeah, I was there, and the entire arena was pretty much JUST for Cung Le, almost to an annoying degree.

The dudes in front of me were blocking my way when Frank was done, and I had to ask someone what happened. He was like, "That was crazy! He fell off his stool!"

Um...ok.

HA! And when Kimbo came out, he was like, "Shit, I gotta fight here in SAN FRAN, WHATS UP!~"

We were all cheering until he said that, then it was just like, "wait...what? We're San Jose, fool."

All in all, a good show-ish. Shamrock seemed like he was making Cung look good the first two rounds. He wasn't blocking, he wasn't shooting, he wasn't doing anything, but in the third round, when he landed some of those punches, it seemed like he was gonna just go to town on Cung in the fourth.

But, those stools can be a bitch, huh?

Guest Warriorfan

The Shamrock vs Le fight was much better than I anticipated and the 3rd Rd is a contender for Rd of the year. Shamrock was so close to the KO victory and just needed one more clean right hand, of course Le broke his right arm a few moments later putting that strategy out of consideration.

Shamrock's strategy seemed correct when he had Le staggering so I can't fault him for the fightplan. While the arm may have been broken due to an accumulation of kicks; it seems the final kick at the end of the RD was the culprit.

I would like to see a rematch and have Shamrock mix the brawling with more shoot attempts.

If Shamrock would have fought smart rather than trying to beat Le at his own game, a la Baroni, it might have been different. I don't know why Shamrock thinks he has something to prove by standing and banging with someone like Le. He finally started to get aggressive by the third round, but his hands were down almost the entire time, allowing Cung to score almost at will with the head kicks.

Cung Le couldn't crack an egg shell... Although his kicks look fancy, the fact that Cung Le lacks power is going to hurt him in the long run.

I think both Robbie Lawler or Scott Smith would KO Cung.

Oh shit, he broke his arm?!

Damn, Cung has some fuckin POWER in those kicks. Jesus.

Cung lacks one-punch KO power... He landed a lot of kicks, but at the same time not of them really stunned Shamrock at all. I had the fight 1-1 going into the 3rd, and I had a hard time scoring round 3.