TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
GreatWhiteNope

Hulk Hogan leaks list of 2007 WWE Hall of Fame candidates

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=22323&p=1

HULK HOGAN DISCUSSES WHETHER HE'S WRESTLING AT WRESTLEMANIA 23 AND REVEALS WWE'S HALL OF FAME 2007 CANDIDATES...WITHOUT WWE KNOWING

by Mike Johnson @ 6:45:00 PM on 1/12/2007

This afternoon on Bubba the Love Sponge, Hulk Hogan was appearing as a guest when he took a call from Vince McMahon's secretary Ann Russo. Hogan, who didn't let Russo know she was on the air, was asked who he felt should be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame this year.

Russo noted the candidates at this time were The Von Erichs, The Ultimate Warrior, Mr. T, Mike Tyson, Jake Roberts, Ric Flair, Ken Patera, The Original Sheik, Howard Finkel, Mr. Fuji, The Honkytonk Man, Randy Savage, Dusty Rhodes, The Wild Samoans, The Big Bossman, Bob Backlund, Rick Rude, The Bushwhackers, Rocky Johnson, The Brooklyn Brawler, Nick Bockwinkel, and Muhammad Ali.

Hogan responded favorably to a number of names including the Von Erichs, Mr. T, Bossman, Rude, Bockwinkel, Flair, Backlund, Finkel, the Samoans, the Original Sheik, Ali, and The Bushwhackers.

When Bubba asked about Wrestlemania 23, Hogan got evasive, stating that he didn't know if he would be wrestling or not on the show. Hogan then left the studio, taking a call from Vince McMahon about potential appearances in the future. The implication that was made on the air was that McMahon wasn't happy about the conversation going out over the airwaves.

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=22325&p=1

SECOND HULK HOGAN ON BUBBA THE LOVE SPONGE REPORT: COMPLETE, DETAILED LIST OF WWE'S CLASS OF 2007 CANDIDATES FOR HALL OF FAME

by Shawn Ace @ 7:11:00 PM on 1/12/2007

I'm sure you probably got a lot of emails on this, but I thought I'd send another one. Hulk Hogan was just on the Bubba The Love Sponge show and was a bit drunk, and while he was on the air he got a phone call from Vince McMahon's secretary Ann Russo. She wanted to go over the list of names for possible induction into the Hall Of Fame this year. What she didn't know was that Hogan put her on speaker phone so all the names went out over the air. When he eventually told her she was on the air, she said she'd get in trouble and sounded rather shocked.

Anyway, the list of names were (I wrote them down as she

read off the names):

The Von Erichs

Ultimate Warrior

The Original Sheik

Ric Flair

Mr. Fuji

Nick Bockwinkel

Muhammed Ali

Mr. T

Mike Tyson

Howard Finkel

Jim Ross

Ken Patera

King Curtis

Ted DiBiase

Jake "The Snake" Roberts

Honky Tonk Man

Randy Savage

Dusty Rhodes

Dick Ebersol (NBC Executive responsible for creation of Saturday Night's Main Event)

The Wild Samoans

Big Boss Man

Bob Backlund

Rick Rude

The Bushwhackers

Rocky Johnson

The Brooklyn Brawler

Hogan was then asked to pick 10 names, and he said, "the names I pick go into the Hall Of Fame?" He then picked:

Big Boss Man

King Curtis

Dusty Rhodes

Randy Savage

Wild Samoans

Von Erichs

Rick Rude

Bushwhackers

Hogan then he picked Howard Finkel once he got off the phone.

He did say that was a "heat getter" and I can't imagine Vince will be too happy once he finds out. Anyway, it was great radio.

Hogan is almost always 100% full of bullshit. I don't think some of those names (Warrior, Savage) may ever go into the HoF. The WWE certainly wouldn't put 20 big names in all at once. They might not even put 20 names in total.

Hogan is almost always 100% full of bullshit. I don't think some of those names (Warrior, Savage) may ever go into the HoF. The WWE certainly wouldn't put 20 big names in all at once. They might not even put 20 names in total.

You apparently didn't read the article - Hogan was live on a radio show when a WWE rep called him on his cell phone to ask who he think should go into the Hall of Fame. Hogan put the rep on the air as she was reading to Hogan WWE's list of potential inductees.

Radio talk shows like Bubba's are like the WWE, most of it is a work. It was no accident that she got on the air. It was probably a bit, that she read the names and then get "surprised" by the fact she was on the air.

But your own article says possible inductees, not that everyone on that list is going to be in there this year.

If Bossman does get inducted, I say his former proteges, Akeem "The African Dream" and "The Doctor of Style" Slick are the men chosen to induct him.

I say from that list, if I had to pick eight inductees (same number as last year), I'd pick;

Dusty Rhodes

Ted DiBiase

Bob Backlund

Howard Finkel

The Von Erichs

Nick Bockwinkel

Mr. T (For the Celebrity wing. If they're going to pick someone, might as well be him. Since he actually did more than one appearence with the WWE)

The Original Shiek (Seeing as they're in Detroit)

Of course my list is filled with way too many guys who are more known for their careers in other promotions so it probably won't happen.

Radio talk shows like Bubba's are like the WWE, most of it is a work. It was no accident that she got on the air. It was probably a bit, that she read the names and then get "surprised" by the fact she was on the air.

But your own article says possible inductees, not that everyone on that list is going to be in there this year.

That's what I thinking.

Bushwhackers before RICKY STEAMBOAT???

If I had the power to pick the 8 it would be...

Ultimate Warrior

The Original Sheik

Mr. Fuji

Muhammed Ali

Mr. T

Mike Tyson

Jake "The Snake" Roberts

Randy Savage

The award speaches would rule.

They might want to get Tyson in before, y'know, he gets jailed again.

Do it live from prison, it worked for Robert Downey Jr. that year. Hell, he turned his life around after that interview! Then Vince can claim he "saved the life of Mike Tyson", immediately followed by signing him to the WWE where he can have a "steady job" to "get his life in order".

Vincent Kennedy McMahon: The Great White Hero

This whole thing seems like a big work. Why would the WWE call Hogan at Bubba's show? Why not call him at home, or on a cell phone? I can't see Vince's secretary calling the show and saying, "No, I don't want to talk about shocking Sal the Stockbrokers nuts. I need to talk with Hulk Hogan about our Hall of Fame inductees! Is he available?"

That list sucks anyways. Ali? He was a "referee" at the first WrestleMania. Tyson? Same deal, although he did create a lot of buzz for WM 14. Vince just wants a bunch of press coverage.

Mr. T deserves a "celebrity" induction. Why put Flair and Jim Ross on there, when they are both still actively involved with the company?

Savage and Warrior were put there to create buzz with the smarks. No way would either of them, especially today with Vince's ego, be allowed in. That's why I think this is all a huge work.

We'll see, though.

Guest NYR10

Well, neither the Warrior or Savage would even come close to accepting the award...so...

I can think of a few names that come to mind...

Owen Hart - It kind of upsets me about how much of a big deal they made about Eddie's death, a tragedy yes, but why not give Owen the same respect....a better worker in the ring and in my eyes, could cut a better promo.

Yokozuna - Obviously not a great in ring worker, but he was a WWF champion nonetheless.

Kurt Ange - providing that he doesn't return to the WWE someday, but I doubt Vince will make any effort to acknowledge his accomplishments.

Jim Cornette - One of the best managers ever

It might be a little too early to induct The Rock and Austin, providing that they might make more appearances in the future. However, if it would mean I would get The Rock on my TV one last time, then I'd be all for it.

I was always under the impression that the animosity towards Savage always came from the WWE and never the other way around. If we can see Bret and Vince shaking hands on the main page of WWE.com, then Savage or Warrior on stage giving a incomprehensible speech for their Hall of Fame induction is not out of the question.

im down with the fink. I for one would also like owen hart to get inducted into the HOF. As mentioned before, i think the likes of the rock/angle/austin will be inducted into the HOF at some point but its way too early at the moment in my opinion, maybeee in 10/15 years time perhaps?

I hope Bossman does make it to the HOF. I'm all for it.

"That referee right there wasn't even supposed to be in the riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing"

The Von Erichs are likely candidates, given that the WWE is currently working on the "Famous Families" DVD, as well as their own version of "Heroes of World Class". As a longtime WCCW fan, that's what I'm pulling for as far as a major induction.

Steamboat likely can't/won't be put in because they can't use the name Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat at this time, thanks to a wacky divorce settlement that gave Bonnie Steamboat the rights to that trademark. I'd imagine McMahon will eventually pay her off for it.

--Funny story from yesterday. Hulk Hogan was on Bubba the Love Sponge when Ann Russo (no relation to Vince), the secretary of Vince McMahon, called him to get his thoughts on the Hall of Fame. He was given the following names and asked to pick ten. The name under consideration given to him were The Von Erichs, Ultimate Warrior, The Sheik Ed Farhat, Ric Flair, Mr. Fuji, Nick Bockwinkel Muhammad Ali, Mr. T, Mike Tyson, Howard Finkel, Jim Ross, Ken Patera, King Curtis, Ted DiBiase, Jake Roberts, Honky Tonk Man, Dusty Rhodes, Dick Ebersol, Afa & Sika, Big Bossman, Randy Savage, Bob Backlund, Rick Rude, Bushwhackers, Rocky Johnson and Brooklyn Brawler. Out of that list, his picks were Bossman, Curtis, Dusty, Savage, Samoans, Von Erichs, Rude, Bushwhackers and Finkel. This all aired on the air. I checked around on this. It wasn't a planned publicity stunt and Russo had no idea she was on the air.

Warrior has turned down the Hall of Fame before, saying it would "Tarnish his Legacy."

You can't tarnish a rusty blade.