Reply to this topicStart new topic
The Beer Thread.
PILLS! PILLS...
post Oct 2 2007, 08:43 PM
Post #61

PILLS! PILLS! PILLS!

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,013

Got my first batch of (Buffalo Bill's) Pumpkin Ale for the Autumn season... Yum...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nighthawk
post Oct 11 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #62

Ninety Minutes of Gay Bashing

Member No.: 2,150

I saw a bunch of that Frank Zappa beer in the store today. I didn't buy any, but I probably will. Like I said, there was a lot of it, so I'm free to take my time. Problem is, Lagunitas apparently already put one out commemorating Freak Out, so as a compulsive collector and pack rat, I'd have to track that down, and then bind myself into buying every Zappa bottle they release, as they'll probably put more out.

Speaking of beer, I've been drinking more of it lately, due to my decision to quit drinking. That may seem like a contradiction, but it's more of a compromise, as beer will only make me pleasantly mellow, and not drunk. I still stick with my old standby of Coors, where I noticed that a 12 pack is about $12, and a 30 pack about $15. You'd be stupid not to buy that. 50 cents a can... that's damn cheap.

+Quote Post
NoCalMike
post Oct 12 2007, 01:01 AM
Post #63

Horny kicks embarrased's ass everytime....

Member No.: 691

QUOTE(mellowblissful @ Oct 2 2007, 07:43 PM) *
Got my first batch of (Buffalo Bill's) Pumpkin Ale for the Autumn season... Yum...

I bought a sixer of Blue Moon's pumpkin ale, and some generic brand pumpkin ale.

I am gonna try one of each soon, I will give report on my findings afterwards.

+Quote Post
Guest_Vitamin X_*
post Oct 12 2007, 02:00 AM
Post #64

Guests

QUOTE(Milky. @ Oct 11 2007, 10:47 PM) *
I saw a bunch of that Frank Zappa beer in the store today. I didn't buy any, but I probably will. Like I said, there was a lot of it, so I'm free to take my time. Problem is, Lagunitas apparently already put one out commemorating Freak Out, so as a compulsive collector and pack rat, I'd have to track that down, and then bind myself into buying every Zappa bottle they release, as they'll probably put more out.

Speaking of beer, I've been drinking more of it lately, due to my decision to quit drinking. That may seem like a contradiction, but it's more of a compromise, as beer will only make me pleasantly mellow, and not drunk. I still stick with my old standby of Coors, where I noticed that a 12 pack is about $12, and a 30 pack about $15. You'd be stupid not to buy that. 50 cents a can... that's damn cheap.

I'd have to agree with you. I quit drinking liquor after a few telltale terrible experiences with it, so I just drink beer and wine these days. I find it makes me far less of an alcoholic even if I do drink quite a bit of either at times. The drunkedness one gets from those compared to liquor is much more pleasant as well, in my opinion.

I'd love to track down that other Zappa beer too.

+Quote Post
Edwin MacPhisto
post Oct 12 2007, 07:28 AM
Post #65

It's time we all reached out for something new.

Member No.: 1,386

Dogfish Head just opened up an alehouse about 10 minutes from where I live. I'm excited beyond words. They've got 90 Minute IPA on tap, and should also have Fort, the 18 abv fruit beer, pretty soon.

+Quote Post
Giuseppe Zangara
post Oct 12 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #66

Enough.

Member No.: 1,984

Oh man, fuck you. Dogfish Head is my favorite brewery.

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, they're my second favorite brewery. #1 is Rogue, given just how much more often I drink Rogue beers than Dogfish. Still, I love DH.

+Quote Post
Guest_Vitamin X_*
post Oct 13 2007, 03:23 AM
Post #67

Guests

I've got a Rogue alehouse down the street from my place, and the headquarters are about a 20 minute drive from here down in Newburg.

I'd love to have their 90 minute IPA on tap, though. Sounds delicious.

EDIT: Also, on the subject of Rogue beers, try the Shakespeare Stout. Delicious. They have this jazzy-themed one that's amazing as well, but I think both of these are ones you'd find at a natural foods store like Whole Foods or whatever.

+Quote Post
Cheech Tremendou...
post Oct 14 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #68

"Hot Pants"

Member No.: 5,151

QUOTE(Vitamin X @ Oct 13 2007, 02:23 AM) *
I've got a Rogue alehouse down the street from my place, and the headquarters are about a 20 minute drive from here down in Newburg.

I'd love to have their 90 minute IPA on tap, though. Sounds delicious.

EDIT: Also, on the subject of Rogue beers, try the Shakespeare Stout. Delicious. They have this jazzy-themed one that's amazing as well, but I think both of these are ones you'd find at a natural foods store like Whole Foods or whatever.

The Rogue Brewery is in Newport, not Newberg. It's more like two hours from Portland. Definitely worth checking out if you get the chance.

+Quote Post
Angle-plex
post Oct 14 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #69

I'm getting sweaty, I think I look better wet

Member No.: 1,766

I'd just like to comment that although I hate all the popular college beers, a regular budweiser (NOT bud light) can hit the spot from time to time. I think it gets a bad rap because of bud light and bud select.

+Quote Post
NoCalMike
post Oct 15 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #70

QUOTE(Angle-plex @ Oct 14 2007, 11:23 AM) *
I'd just like to comment that although I hate all the popular college beers, a regular budweiser (NOT bud light) can hit the spot from time to time. I think it gets a bad rap because of bud light and bud select.

Odd, I prefer Bud Light.

IMO, Corona is the most overrated beer on the planet. Dos Equis is 100x better and usually cheaper.

+Quote Post
Guest_Vitamin X_*
post Oct 16 2007, 02:44 PM
Post #71

Guests

I think the overrated beer title goes to Guinness, actually, although that doesn't mean that a well-poured Ginny on tap isn't appreciated from time to time.

+Quote Post
Guest_Tzar Lysergic_*
post Oct 17 2007, 08:46 AM
Post #72

Guests

I'm going to invest in some of the beers mentioned in this thread for my camping trip this weekend, I think. No way I'm going to make it through that shit sober.

+Quote Post
starvenger
post Oct 17 2007, 05:38 PM
Post #73

Amazing how fast 1 year goes...

Member No.: 1,046

QUOTE(Vitamin X @ Oct 16 2007, 04:44 PM) *
I think the overrated beer title goes to Guinness, actually, although that doesn't mean that a well-poured Ginny on tap isn't appreciated from time to time.

Perhaps overly hyped is a better way of putting it then, because it's easy to appreciate Guinness at a pub. Corona though... I'd call it overrated. But I'm not big on any beer that seems to require the addition of a lime to... what does the lime do, anyway? Distract you from the fact that it's shitty beer?

+Quote Post
JangoFett4Hire
post Jan 10 2008, 08:16 AM
Post #74

I figured out what a cooter was!

Member No.: 2,028

QUOTE (Matt Young @ Sep 3 2007, 11:10 AM) *
I was at Albertson's picking up some beer for a Harry Potter movie marathon on Saturday (yes, I am a dork) and I saw some seasonal Blue Moon. I think it was pumpkin ale, or something like that.

Has anyone tried it? Regular Blue Moon is my favorite beer.

If you like Blue Moon, I think you should check out Allagash White. I think it blows
BM away.

+Quote Post
TheDevilAndGodAr...
post Jan 10 2008, 11:35 PM
Post #75

it's sowing season

Member No.: 4,482

Full Moon Winter Ale is worth I shot, I think. I liked it - I tried it sans orange, though - I'm not sure if it is supposed to have one or not.

+Quote Post
JangoFett4Hire
post Jan 13 2008, 06:13 PM
Post #76

Beer and fruit don't mix. The citric acid kills the head. A good head is essential to good beer.

+Quote Post
Matt Young
post Jan 14 2008, 09:00 PM
Post #77

Group: Banned
Member No.: 362

QUOTE (JangoFett4Hire @ Jan 13 2008, 04:13 PM) *
Beer and fruit don't mix. The citric acid kills the head. A good head is essential to good beer.

If that's the case, why does everyone wait til it goes down?

(Head and going down in consecutive posts... Are we still talking about beer?)

+Quote Post
JangoFett4Hire
post Jan 16 2008, 06:24 AM
Post #78

From beeradvocate.com

Still think it's just marketing? Well the sophomoric pun "head is good" has a mature side. Scientific studies show that the shape of glassware will impact head development and retention. Why is this important? The foam created by pouring a beer acts as a net for many of the volatiles in a beer. What's a volatile? Compounds that evaporate from beer to create its aroma, such as hop oils, all kinds of yeast fermentation byproducts like alcohol, fusels and fruity esters, spices or other additions. So a glass that promotes a healthy foam head may enhance the trapping of certain volatiles. And as varying levels of head retention and presentation are desired with different styles of beers, different styles of glassware should be used accordingly. Presentation marries science.

+Quote Post
AnnieEclectic
post Jan 30 2008, 07:51 AM
Post #79

25% Avatar: The True Queen

Member No.: 1,413

QUOTE (Edwin MacPhisto @ Oct 12 2007, 01:28 PM) *
Dogfish Head just opened up an alehouse about 10 minutes from where I live. I'm excited beyond words. They've got 90 Minute IPA on tap, and should also have Fort, the 18 abv fruit beer, pretty soon.

First I was envious of your writing... but now you have a Dogfish brewpub in your area???? You unctuous bastard!

... what's the 18 abv fruit beer? Seeing as NH has these ridiculous beer laws I wouldn't have had a chance to try it. Unless you mean the Raison D'Extra - in which case I'd avoid unless you reeeeeeeeeeeeally like raisins/grapes. It's a strong fruit taste. Either way, try a 120 IPA - your mouth and brain will love you. Your stomach and intestines will hate you in the morning, but who cares. Stupid gut.

I'm a wholehearted subscriber to Unibroue beers as well. Their 16th anniversary beer is delightful as is Terrible, La Fin du Monde, Maudite and Trois Pistoles. I remember going into a bar with a friend of mine and having 8 La Fins plus a couple Blue Fin Stout from Shipyard. Not only was I giggling like a schoolgirl by the end of the night, but I told the bartender that she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen and gave her an extra $5 tip. I was SO glad I recognized her hotness as I went into the bar sober, otherwise I'd feel awful.

... next morning I emailed out of work however I didn't realize I was even on the computer or for that matter awake. I came to as I was typing my name. That was an odd day. Then again waking up and seeing my ex-girlfriend of 4 years laughing at me as I'm in bed with her younger sister was odd too.

-Annie

+Quote Post
AnnieEclectic
post Jan 30 2008, 08:05 AM
Post #80

QUOTE (Jack Bauer @ Jan 11 2008, 05:35 AM) *
Full Moon Winter Ale is worth I shot, I think. I liked it - I tried it sans orange, though - I'm not sure if it is supposed to have one or not.

Addendum - as I had a lot of the Full Moon of late. It's good, doesn't quite live up to the billing of a true Belgian styled ale, but no orange. No no no no fruit on Belgian abbey-style ales.

Best Belgians, btw:

3) Duvel

- A wonderful golden Dubbel. 8.2% and tasty but FILLING. Do not try with pizza, that's for sure - you'll feel bloated for hours.

2) Affligem (Dubbel or Trippel)

- Tasty, not horribly filling, lovely aroma and a nice mellow sweetness out of the Tripel. Mmmm.

1) Ommnegang

- Who knew that NY state could be home to an awesome abbey ale?

if possible, get proper glasses for these, it does help!

+Quote Post
Darthtiki
post Feb 4 2008, 10:12 PM
Post #81

What's Going On?

Member No.: 3,603

Has anyone had the Anchor Holiday 07 beer? I received a Magnum of it for Christmas and wanted to know anyone's opinion

+Quote Post
NoCalMike
post Feb 4 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #82

Blue Moon & Orange wedges = Happiness. Blue Moon also makes another version with a yellow label that is brewed with the orange peel thus eliminating the need to put an orange wedge into the beer.

+Quote Post
NoCalMike
post Feb 4 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #83

QUOTE (Vitamin X @ Oct 16 2007, 12:44 PM) *

I think Guiness is one of those brands where way more people buy the shirts/beanies/hats with the logo, then actually drink the beer. I think the bigger problem is that your beer novice people think Guiness is a one of a kind beer and don't realize that tons of breweries make the same type of dark, thick beer that is even better. Don't get me wrong, I love-me some Guiness, but I would consider it an intro for it's category of beer.

+Quote Post
AnnieEclectic
post Feb 6 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #84

QUOTE (NoCalMike @ Feb 5 2008, 04:57 AM) *
I think Guiness is one of those brands where way more people buy the shirts/beanies/hats with the logo, then actually drink the beer. I think the bigger problem is that your beer novice people think Guiness is a one of a kind beer and don't realize that tons of breweries make the same type of dark, thick beer that is even better. Don't get me wrong, I love-me some Guiness, but I would consider it an intro for it's category of beer.

Agreed. Once you know you like stouts, that Blue Fin Stout on tap at the pub looks less intimidating and more delicious. Which it is. Notes of chocolate and coffee... a delicious after work break. Mmmm.

-Annie

+Quote Post
Giuseppe Zangara
post Feb 6 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #85

Enough.

Member No.: 1,984

Speaking of stouts, I'm going to Atlanta for a few days next week and am excited to once again get my hands on Terrapin's Wake 'n' Bake Coffee Oatmeal Stout.

http://www.terrapinbeer.com/beers/wake.bake.php

One of the best stouts I've ever had.

+Quote Post
TheDevilAndGodAr...
post Feb 16 2008, 10:10 AM
Post #86

it's sowing season

Member No.: 4,482

I recently tried Circus Boy and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and I liked them both alot. Circus Boy is made by Magic Hat, and I liked it better than No. 9. Sierra Nevada was really good but I'm a big Rolling Rock/pale ale guy go it matched my tastes nicely. Recommendation to avoid: Woodchuck Apple Cider. I wasn't blown away by this, a friend recommended it to me, and it was basically a $3.50 apple juice.

+Quote Post
Hoff
post Feb 24 2008, 04:33 PM
Post #87

I Do What I Like

Member No.: 4,287

Last night I was at Old Chicago, and decided to try a few new beers. Thoughts:

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat -- delicious. Good cherry flavor without being overpowering. Not overly smooth, or robust, but it had an appealing flavor in the wheat that I enjoyed.

Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde -- I ordered it without thinking, and was immediately labeled "gay" by the table. I shrugged it off, but you know what? This was a very gay beer. Very smooth, but an overpowering strawberry taste. So if you like strawberry, get down on this.

Finnegan's Irish Amber Ale -- Locally brewed here in MN, this was my favorite of the night. The only non-fruit flavored beer I had, it was smooth and tasted great. It had more flavor than most amber ales I'm used to. Highly recommended.

Pyramid Apricot Ale -- a friend of mine always sings the praises of Pyramid, and I can see why. Not as strong as the strawberry in the Pete's but a definite apricot flavor. Not as smooth as Pete's either, but still easy to drink and tasted great.

In sum, I'd recommend all four of those beers. But watch out for Pete's if you're at a table full of Republicans, as I was. Even the label is kind of gay.

+Quote Post
Lt. Al Giardello
post Feb 24 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #88

It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Member No.: 5,285

I'm going to grab a 12 case of Molson Canadian, I'm depressed.

+Quote Post
Darthtiki
post Apr 1 2008, 12:32 AM
Post #89

What's Going On?

Member No.: 3,603

I had North Coast's Old Stock Ale today...god damn that took my ass out.

+Quote Post
AboveAverage484
post Apr 1 2008, 10:09 AM
Post #90

Raw like cocaine straight from Bolivia

Member No.: 1,498

QUOTE (Darthtiki @ Apr 1 2008, 07:32 AM) *
I had North Coast's Old Stock Ale today...god damn that took my ass out.

Yeah, barley wine will fuck your ass up. My favorite is probably Victory Old Horizontal.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2017 - 04:58 AM
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here